Best touch laptop/screen tablet for drawing?

Recommended Posts

Emn1ty    3,252

So I was doing some photoshop the other day and realized that I cannot link pressure sensitivity to my mouse wheel. This frustrates the living hell out of me because it means that I absolutely must have a pressure-sensitive device or some kind of stylus with a pressure wheel. As a result, my thought process for what my next laptop should be has changed to possibly include a drawing focused laptop. That being said, a dedicated drawing device is also a possibility.

What I will be using this for other than drawing is the following:

 

  • Web Browsing
  • Videos
  • Skype/Discord
  • Programming

 

What I would like to get out of the device is a high-res display as well (4K) because I've enjoyed the retina displays on macs and I want this to be a replacement. There will be absolutely no gaming being done on this laptop.

 

Anyone got any ideas? If it's a new laptop my max budget is $1200. A tablet is going to be less, probably around $400 unless a very good argument can be made. This will need to handle print quality drawings (300dpi), and I am unsure if an i5 will be sufficient in that regard. Thanks ahead of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    836
3 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

So I was doing some photoshop the other day and realized that I cannot link pressure sensitivity to my mouse wheel. This frustrates the living hell out of me because it means that I absolutely must have a pressure-sensitive device or some kind of stylus with a pressure wheel. As a result, my thought process for what my next laptop should be has changed to possibly include a drawing focused laptop. That being said, a dedicated drawing device is also a possibility.

What I will be using this for other than drawing is the following:

 

  • Web Browsing
  • Videos
  • Skype/Discord
  • Programming

 

What I would like to get out of the device is a high-res display as well (4K) because I've enjoyed the retina displays on macs and I want this to be a replacement. There will be absolutely no gaming being done on this laptop.

 

Anyone got any ideas? If it's a new laptop my max budget is $1200. A tablet is going to be less, probably around $400 unless a very good argument can be made. This will need to handle print quality drawings (300dpi), and I am unsure if an i5 will be sufficient in that regard. Thanks ahead of time.

You budget seems insanely low for a professional requirement.

 

My Dell XPS 9550 has an insanely fantastic screen with touch but the touch screen is not the same as a pressure sensitive digitizer.

 

For that, there is the Surface Pro and Surface Book both of which are even more expensive if configured for a real world professional workload.

 

A suitable laptop like the XPS with a Wacom Digitizer pad would probably be a good option to cover all the bases but just the Wacom is close to 1K..

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emn1ty    3,252
4 hours ago, DevTech said:

You budget seems insanely low for a professional requirement.

 

My Dell XPS 9550 has an insanely fantastic screen with touch but the touch screen is not the same as a pressure sensitive digitizer.

 

For that, there is the Surface Pro and Surface Book both of which are even more expensive if configured for a real world professional workload.

 

A suitable laptop like the XPS with a Wacom Digitizer pad would probably be a good option to cover all the bases but just the Wacom is close to 1K..

 

I never mentioned it would be used for professional workloads. This is a personal device for me to be able to draw on as a hobby but I will do light programming on it as well (assuming it is a laptop). I currently own a desktop which is far beefier which, if I must, can be used for more intensive tasks.

Basically, the reason my budget is so low is because it is a hobby I am considering pursuing more; it is in no way a definite thing and I don't know if I want to throw out $1k+ for something I may drop in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver    1,784

Rather than buying a tablet/laptop, have you considered looking into a drawing tablet instead? That way you can use your budget to get one of the higher end ones rather than a lower end tablet/laptop?

 

http://www.wacom.com/  < seems to be a pretty decent place to start looking

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,707

What skiver said, I have a few of their bamboo line.

 

The Companion and Cintiq lines are their top of the line products, on screen display pads, very big, very heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emn1ty    3,252

Yeah, that's where I thought I might end up. The Surface Pro though looked promising and I wanted to know if people would even compare that to a standalone drawing tablet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,707
Just now, Emn1ty said:

Yeah, that's where I thought I might end up. The Surface Pro though looked promising and I wanted to know if people would even compare that to a standalone drawing tablet.

As someone who did, they don't compare for pressure sensitivity..

It is pseudo recreateable but it's not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emn1ty    3,252
1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

As someone who did, they don't compare for pressure sensitivity..

It is pseudo recreateable but it's not the same.

Alrighty, I think I have my answer then. Just really wish Adobe would allow you to map the scroll wheel to the pressure. It is such a simple thing for them to have done, but now it's a several hundred dollar expense for me to correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,707

Start small bud, see how you get along with any of their bamboo lines, is it doesn't suit you, then you've not laid out a large sum of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emn1ty    3,252
6 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Start small bud, see how you get along with any of their bamboo lines, is it doesn't suit you, then you've not laid out a large sum of money. 

I'll try that route, any particular bamboo model you'd recommend? The main reason I avoided the cheaper ones is because I've always had a hard time not looking down at what I'm drawing and figured a screen would help me transition better to a digital tablet. The last drawing tablet I had was like that and I just ended up not using it at all after trying it several times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,707

Well, any cintiq or companion is an extortionate amount to pay out, all the bamboo and pro variants are a blank slate style, and to be honest, it didn't take me, nor my wife very long to get used to looking at the monitor while 'touch' using the pad. 

I cannot in good conscience recommend any cintiq or companion model unless you're a hard core designer (business level, to the point where the cost of one of them wouldn't hurt you)

A good model for an introduction would be the intuos pro. Now the size of the pad would be dependent on the size of your monitor, we have the large because we have a 32 inch main screen, if your main monitor is 24 inches or below, I'd recommend the large or medium version, as it'll feel more comfortable.

 

Here's a guide we used..

 

http://cameratico.com/guides/how-to-choose-wacom-pen-tablet/

 

And I'd personally recommend looking on Amazon or eBay for the older version, as the new ones are more expensive than I had originally thought. (My intuous pro was £200, the bamboo models we have all averaged about £70 ballpark)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emn1ty    3,252

An update. I purchased the Wacom Intuos Draw tablet. Having tried it out, I'm quite impressed with how far drawing tablets have come in the last decade. It was easy to adapt to drawing on (likely cause I haven't drawn in some time so shifting to look up rather than down was pretty straightforward). I may decide to return this tablet and go up a step after a bit more use, as the tilt functionality plus the additional levels of pressure might be useful.

But for now, I think that I'm very satisfied with the purchase. Thank you @The Evil Overlord for the recommendations.

 

First attempt with the tablet:

 

Capture.PNG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.