Sign in to follow this  

Russian cyber firm Kaspersky considers closing D.C. office: Report

DocM    12,460

http://m.washingtontimes.com

Russian cyber firm Kaspersky considers closing D.C. office: Report

Russian cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab is reportedly considering closing its D.C. office as it prepares for the possibility of losing its contracts with the U.S. government as questions persist about its alleged ties to Russian intelligence.

Kaspersky Government Security Solutions Inc. (KGSS), the subsidiary that acts as a conduit between the company and government clients, may soon be shuttering its D.C. office, Russian news portal The Bell reported Tuesday, citing two sources close to the company.
>

Additionally,

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-kasperskylab-best-buy/best-buy-stops-sale-of-russia-based-kaspersky-products-idUSKCN1BJ2M4

Best Buy is halting the sale of Kaspersky Labs products, citing possible Russian government interference. 

techbeck    4,770

Best Buy....no big deal.  Want AV, just download it.  That is where everything is going these days. 

+Mirumir    5,063

And here we were thinking that the U.S.A stood for a fair market-based competition.

Not a chance.

The U.S.A. uses its political and economic tools (sanctions, embargoes) to hinder the economic development of other countries especially those that it perceives to be its primary competitors. Yes, you'll  say "so, what? everybody does it too". And I'll agree. However, there's just one nation on the planet that's trying to teach (by both force and diplomacy) its way of life to everyone else as if positioning itself as being a sole arbitrator on Earth that's managed to elevate above corruption, above unfair and unethical political and business practises, and, thus, reveals itself, unfortunately, as being a complete and arrogant hypocrite.

These groundless accusations against Kaspersky is just an excuse to remove a competitor from the market. Kaspersky's Labs is just another victim of the internal U.S. political infighting.

• Like 2

Circaflex    2,774

I am really disappointed to read this and feel Kaspersky has been wrongly accused or wrongdoings.

• Like 4

+FloatingFatMan    12,740
54 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

These groundless accusations against Kaspersky is just an excuse to remove a competitor from the market. Kaspersky's Labs is just another victim of the internal U.S. political infighting.

I see them as no different to the same accusations the Russian government is making against Microsoft for backdoors in Windows and demanding all companies it works with use home grown OS's.

It's nothing but a playground game of ###### for tat.

EDIT: Stupid bad word filter.  That word has more than one meaning you know!

• Haha 1

+Mirumir    5,063
54 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I see them as no different to the same accusations the Russian government is making against Microsoft for backdoors in Windows and demanding all companies it works with use home grown OS's.

It's nothing but a playground game of ###### for tat.

EDIT: Stupid bad word filter.  That word has more than one meaning you know!

Products made by Microsoft are still freely available to Russian consumers. I'm pretty sure the Russian government continues to buy loads of windows licenses, just not for use in certain departments. And not once did the Russian government try to influence any of the Russian retailers into pulling Microsoft's products from their shelves. The Best Buy's decision was clearly a political one following the U.S. federal blacklisting of Kaspersky.

Best buy are not a political organisation so their decision will be purely business based.

• Like 1

DocM    12,460
1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Best buy are not a political organisation so their decision will be purely business based.

Best Buy's Geek Squad has long-standing ties to the FBI and intelligence community. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

PsYcHoKiLLa    1,396

Great, I've been using Kaspersky software updater to update my system software, I wonder if they're passing out tainted versions now :/

Geek squad...

giphy.gif

Tuskd    1,300

Question: If things go really bad Kaspersky with nobody buying its products, can it file a defamation suit against the US Government?

Edit:
I am not questioning the US govt for not using it, but still linking it to Russian intelligence when the company says its ready to show its source code is just spreading FUD.

Edited by Tuskd

1 hour ago, DocM said:

Best Buy's Geek Squad has long-standing ties to the FBI and intelligence community. 

Neither of which are political organisations.

Also, proof?

Jim K    8,600
36 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Neither of which are political organisations.

Also, proof?

Probably referring to this...

Why We're Suing the FBI for Records About Best Buy Geek Squad Informants

Sending your computer to Best Buy for repairs shouldn’t require you to surrender your Fourth Amendment rights. But that’s apparently what’s been happening when customers send their computers to a Geek Squad repair facility in Kentucky.

We think the FBI’s use of Best Buy Geek Squad employees to search people’s computers without a warrant threatens to circumvent people’s constitutional rights. That’s why we filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit today against the FBI seeking records about the extent to which it directs and trains Best Buy employees to conduct warrantless searches of people’s devices. Read our complaint here [PDF].

////

EFF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

techbeck    4,770

How much did the US Government use Kaspersky? 

I doubt the US Government ban is going to hurt Kaspersky and citizens are still welcome to purchase/use the software.  I have no problem using Kaspersky.   And apparently concerns on the software dated back to 2015.   Just with the paranoia over Russia, it was finally banned in Government.

Circaflex    2,774

Edited by Circaflex

DocM    12,460
17 hours ago, techbeck said:

How much did the US Government use Kaspersky? 

I doubt the US Government ban is going to hurt Kaspersky and citizens are still welcome to purchase/use the software.  I have no problem using Kaspersky.   And apparently concerns on the software dated back to 2015.   Just with the paranoia over Russia, it was finally banned in Government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-to-ban-use-of-kaspersky-software-in-federal-agencies-amid-concerns-of-russian-espionage/2017/09/13/36b717d0-989e-11e7-82e4-f1076f6d6152_story.html?utm_term=.3b7df9b178b6

>

At least a half-dozen federal agencies run Kaspersky on their networks, U.S. officials said, although there may be other networks where an agency’s chief information security officer — the official ultimately responsible for systems security — might not be aware it is being used.

The order applies only to civilian government networks. The Defense Department, which includes the National Security Agency, does not use Kaspersky software, officials said.

Meanwhile, the directive may also put pressure on state and local governments that use Kaspersky products. 

>

Edited by DocM