Hollywood-studded hurricane relief telethon gets political

Hollywood's hurricane relief telethon turned political with many stars using the opportunity to share their liberal platforms.

Stevie Wonder opened the one-hour televised event with a monologue about coming together, regardless of race, religion, political affiliation or sexual preference to help those devastated by the storms. However, he closed the speech by taking a shot at those who deny climate change.

“Anyone who believes there’s no such thing as global warming must be blind or unintelligent, Lord, please save us all,” he said before singing "Lean on Me."

Houston native Beyonce said in a video message aired on the telethon that hurricanes Harvey and Irma were a big blow following the recent "violence and racism in this country. She added she thought times "couldn't possibly get worse," but then the hurricanes hit.

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/09/13/hollywood-studded-hurricane-relief-telethon-raises-14-5-million-for-imra-harvey-victims.html

Politics aside, good they raised 14 million or so.  I find it funny that celebs with millions, like Kevin Hart, only donate 25k or so.  It is the people who allowed them to make all that money. At least they go do is give back more than just what us chump change to them. 

3 hours ago, techbeck said:

Hollywood's hurricane relief telethon turned political with many stars using the opportunity to share their liberal platforms.

Stevie Wonder opened the one-hour televised event with a monologue about coming together, regardless of race, religion, political affiliation or sexual preference to help those devastated by the storms. However, he closed the speech by taking a shot at those who deny climate change.

“Anyone who believes there’s no such thing as global warming must be blind or unintelligent, Lord, please save us all,” he said before singing "Lean on Me."

Houston native Beyonce said in a video message aired on the telethon that hurricanes Harvey and Irma were a big blow following the recent "violence and racism in this country. She added she thought times "couldn't possibly get worse," but then the hurricanes hit.

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/09/13/hollywood-studded-hurricane-relief-telethon-raises-14-5-million-for-imra-harvey-victims.html

Politics aside, good they raised 14 million or so.  I find it funny that celebs with millions, like Kevin Hart, only donate 25k or so.  It is the people who allowed them to make all that money. At least they go do is give back more than just what us chump change to them. 

You have to think - 

The only reason many donate is to offset huge payments to IRS.
THey have their chosen benefits, chosen/active charities, maybe after all is done - when something unexpected comes - $25,000 is not exactly pocket change just because you're on TV.
Also, the people of Houston & Florida are not the whole reason they are on TV.
Just because they are famous doesn't mean they are supposed to donate.

Maybe there is a situation where, someone who "only" donated $25K like Kevin Hart because he said "Hey...I'm not real liquid right now, I think I could throw in a little, but I'll help throw the thing - maybe that will make up the difference since Im a little cash broke right now" -  who knows ?

Not really sticking up for "celebrities" - I couldn't care what they do when not entertaining.

I am sticking up for everyone who is expected to do more, by people who haven't done as much.
(Im not attacking you - its just an OpEd piece)

14 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

You have to think - 

The only reason many donate is to offset huge payments to IRS.
THey have their chosen benefits, chosen/active charities, maybe after all is done - when something unexpected comes - $25,000 is not exactly pocket change just because you're on TV.
Also, the people of Houston & Florida are not the whole reason they are on TV.
Just because they are famous doesn't mean they are "supposed" to donate.

I get what you are saying.  And meant the American people are the reason they have the money.  Not just FL and TX.

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

I get what you are saying.  And meant the American people are the reason they have the money.  Not just FL and TX.

I hear ya.

Again, I wasnt directing that at you, at all.  It was more of a gripe from a personal thing I have dealt with - where someone has said, to me "Why dont you do more?"

4 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

I hear ya.

Again, I wasnt directing that at you, at all.  It was more of a gripe from a personal thing I have dealt with - where someone has said, to me "Why dont you do more?"

I understand.  But when you are worth multi millions and give 25k...just seems you have the ability to do more.  People with less are doing more than they can afford with how much they make.  Whether it be donating money, or actually physically hands on.

46 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I understand.  But when you are worth multi millions and give 25k...just seems you have the ability to do more.  People with less are doing more than they can afford with how much they make.  Whether it be donating money, or actually physically hands on.

True.
It is very very rare we see someone wealthy & famous who does the hands on without a film crew.  In fact Brad Pitt comes to mind with Habitat for Humanity post-Katrina.
Dont know of any others.

16 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

True.
It is very very rare we see someone wealthy & famous who does the hands on without a film crew.  In fact Brad Pitt comes to mind with Habitat for Humanity post-Katrina.
Dont know of any others.

Lot do not do enough IMO.   My dad went down to New Orleans to help rebuild a couple times.  And there are about going to TX and possibly FL as well.   To me, and since he is a busy  guy, he is doing more than say Kevin Hart donating 25k.

Maybe instead of blaming every major storm on climate change we should focus on helping the victims. Weather isn't climate change, you're simply damaging the very thing you're fighting for.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why the discussion of climate change is considered political. 

I'll also add that I did not see the event, so I don't know if it went beyond simply discussing climate change. Regarding the talk about division, hate, and racism; that's something I also feel shouldn't be political. 

17 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Maybe instead of blaming every major storm on climate change we should focus on helping the victims. Weather isn't climate change, you're simply damaging the very thing you're fighting for.

1 you are wrong as usual https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/RisingCost/rising_cost5.php

2 if you dont take into account sea level rise in the coming decades you may aswell be burning the money

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NeoTrunks said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why the discussion of climate change is considered political. 

I'll also add that I did not see the event, so I don't know if it went beyond simply discussing climate change. Regarding the talk about division, hate, and racism; that's something I also feel shouldn't be political. 

Because we live in an age where one side of the two party system considers breitbart to be a more relible source than the National Academy of Sciences.

Spoiler its the republicans.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, TPreston said:

1 you are wrong as usual https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/RisingCost/rising_cost5.php

2 if you dont take into account sea level rise in the coming decades you may aswell be burning the money

What does sea level rise have to do with a hurricane? The storm surge would have been just as damaging even if he sea level was a few inches lower. This is my point, they aren't directly connected (nor can you ever directly connect them). People are using the suffering of millions to push climate change rather than addressing the real issue; people who need help.

I will repeat. Weather is not climate.

19 hours ago, NeoTrunks said:

I agree both shouldn't be political, but they are as a result of them becoming political platforms and the fact that nobody wants to discuss them logically. Where people fall on these issues is almost always defined by their political affiliation.

That being said, why are we pointing out either issue when there's a more important one to be had here? Lets focus on helping them; not trying to use them as a platform for what are now distinctly political statements. Lets not use these people's suffering as excuses to attack others for what they believe. This should be about helping people who are suffering, not badgering others because they don't agree with you while using this story as emotional collateral.

1 minute ago, Emn1ty said:

What does sea level rise have to do with a hurricane? The storm surge would have been just as damaging even if he sea level was a few inches lower. This is my point, they aren't directly connected (nor can you ever directly connect them). People are using the suffering of millions to push climate change rather than addressing the real issue; people who need help.

I will repeat. Weather is not climate.

You have been provided with the information if you cant be bothered to read it then its on you.

• Like 2

Just now, TPreston said:

You have been provided with the information if you cant be bothered to read it then its on you.

Your information's first paragraph.

Climate change may not be responsible for the recent skyrocketing cost of natural disasters, but it is very likely that it will impact future catastrophes.

I stand by my statement that you cannot directly attribute anything about these hurricanes to climate change; and your link immediately acknowledges that fact. Perhaps you should read your own link. What this article is saying is that climate change has a probability of increasing factors and thus the strength or the likelihood of storms. That does not mean it is the direct cause of them.

The claim you're making is the equivalent of saying that climate change causes terrorism. The real answer is there's too many factors in the mix to be able to make such a claim.

20 hours ago, T3X4S said:

True.
Dont know of any others.

To be fair, how much would actually GET done if someone like Beyonce turned up, ready to work?  People would just mob her instead...

Better they just stay away and help out with donations.

17 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Your information's first paragraph. 

Which I agree with however

Global warming could affect storm formation by decreasing the temperature difference between the poles and the equator. That temperature difference fuels the mid-latitude storms affect the Earth’s most populated regions. Warmer temperatures could increase the amount of water vapor that enters the atmosphere. The result is a hotter, more humid environment. At the equator, where conditions are already hot and humid, the change isn’t expected to be large. At the poles, however, the air is cold and dry; a little extra heat and water vapor could raise temperatures greatly. As a result, global warming may cause the temperature difference between the poles and the equator to decrease. and as the difference decreases, so should the number of storms, says George Tselioudis, a research scientist at NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) and Columbia University.

But even as a warming climate might decrease the overall number of storms that form, it could increase the number of intense storms. As temperatures continue to rise, more and more water vapor could evaporate into the atmosphere, and water vapor is the fuel for storms. “If we are creating an atmosphere more loaded with humidity, any storm that does develop has greater potential to develop into an intense storm,” says Tselioudis.

The combined result of increased temperatures over land, decreased equator-versus-pole temperature differences, and increased humidity could be increasingly intense cycles of droughts and floods as more of a region’s precipitation falls in a single large storm rather than a series of small ones. A warmer, wetter atmosphere could also affect tropical storms (hurricanes), but changes to tropical storms are harder to predict and track. Some scientists have speculated that a warmer climate that allows more intense storms to develop would also spawn more hurricanes. Warmer temperatures may also heat ocean waters farther from the Equator, expanding the reach of large tropical storms. But there is little evidence to support the either of these theories, says Kerry Emanuel, a professor of tropical meteorology and climate in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Program in Atmospheres, Oceans, and Climate.

The one way in which global warming could impact hurricanes is by making them more intense. More heat and water in the atmosphere and warmer sea surface temperatures could provide more fuel to increase the wind speeds of tropical storms. Warming that has already occurred since 1980 has increased sea surface temperatures 0.3 degrees Celsius, which should increase the maximum potential wind speed of hurricanes by 1 knot, according to hurricane intensity models. But increases that small could not have been observed yet. “At present, hurricane intensity is measured only to an accuracy of plus or minus five knots, so it is not possible to discern any change that might have occurred owing to warming that has already taken place,” says Emanuel.

I stand by my statement that you cannot directly attribute anything about these hurricanes to climate change;

And the very article that you claimed to stand by contradicts you.

What this article is saying is that climate change has a probability of increasing factors and thus the strength or the likelihood of storms. That does not mean it is the direct cause of them

Where did I say it was the cause ? 

The claim you're making is the equivalent of saying that climate change causes terrorism. The real answer is there's too many factors in the mix to be able to make such a claim.

Well its a good thing then that I made no such claim. 

just refuted your claim that it had no effect with evidence to support it. When the facts are on your side you can do things like that :yes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

To be fair, how much would actually GET done if someone like Beyonce turned up, ready to work?  People would just mob her instead...

Better they just stay away and help out with donations.

Good point.

When I read your post, the picture in my head was the way people act when a major celebrity is out in public.  I want off this planet.

Lovely.... another thread is now politicized.

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

Lovely.... another thread is now politicized.

I'm going to end the discussion here, my apologies. I realize I'm simply adding to the problem.

26 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I'm going to end the discussion here, my apologies. I realize I'm simply adding to the problem.

It wasn't you that started it, however Im not surprised you are the one to step up. ;) 

• Dislike 1