Sign in to follow this  

China backs U.N. call for justice in Yemen, U.S. and Saudis don't

+ctebah    2,659

China signaled on Wednesday it was willing to back an international inquiry into atrocities in Yemen, as demanded by the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, but Saudi Arabia and the United States said they did not support the idea.

For three years running U.N. human rights chief Zeid Ra‘ad al-Hussein has asked the 47 countries in the U.N. Human Rights Council to set up an independent investigation into Yemen’s war, which has killed at least 10,000, destroyed the economy, led to a cholera epidemic and pushed millions to the brink of famine.

Saudi Arabia, which leads an international coalition battling the Iran-aligned Houthi movement in Yemen, said the time was not right for an international inquiry.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-rohingya/u-n-chief-security-council-call-on-myanmar-to-end-violence-idUSKCN1BO0B1

• Like 1

+FloatingFatMan    12,859

I agree with the UN.  I'm thoroughly disgusted with my own government for doing business with the Saudi's whilst all this crap is going on in the Yemen.  I hate how easily they ignore their own laws when an ally is involved, and it needs to stop.  

• Like 1

+ctebah    2,659
7 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I agree with the UN.  I'm thoroughly disgusted with my own government for doing business with the Saudi's whilst all this crap is going on in the Yemen.  I hate how easily they ignore their own laws when an ally is involved, and it needs to stop.  

Unfortunately it won’t stop any time soon.  This is why candidates that propose major changes never get elected, the establishment won’t allow it.  

In Canada, the eastern provinces buy oil from the Saudis because the government won’t approve a pipeline from the oil rich Western parts of the country.  How’s that for “ridiculous”?