Just a built new PC; No display; Graphics card fan turns on for a few seconds then stops

Basically what the title says... I just built my first pc, there has been no display on the monitor, even though the pc is running. And when I turn on the pc the graphics cards fan turns on for a few seconds, and then turns off. What can I do to see the display?

• Like 2

1. Check Cables
     A.  Power Supply to Mobo (2 connections)
     B.  Power Supply to Grfx Card ( could be 0 cable, 1, or 2 cables - depends on card)
 2.  Reseat RAM
      A.  Make sure RAM is in correct DIMM slots
      B.  Maybe try on just 1 stick - refer to manual on which DIMM is used for 1 stick)  You do this for process of elimination (less variables = easier to find problem)

If none of that changes your situation:

Are all of the parts new ?

Do you KNOW the PSU is good ?
Do you KNOW the RAM is good ?
Do you KNOW the CPU is good ?
Do you KNOW the mobo is good ?
Do you KNOW the parts are all compatible ?

Are you plugged into a surge protector or the wall directly ?  Do you know those are all good (as in working) ? (probably not your issue)

If that fails: 

List parts in here - we can take a look

Last - you might have to reseat the CPU - but save that for last as it requires the most work.

The reason why I only list RAM, CPU, mobo, and PSU is because those are the only parts that matter given your current issue.

EDIT:

I sort of misread your post - I thought the entire machine was only running for a sec before shutting down.

When you said " the rest of the machine is running" - what do you mean by "running" ?  fans spinning ?  lights ?  you can hear something ?

Details details details

You've come to the right place - a lot of smart people in here (not me, Im just passing through)

• Like 1

#1 is "boot beep"

#2 is eliminate components to bare minimum - including removing the GPU and using the built in Intel

and always boot test a new mobo on piece of cardboard or wood before installing it in a case...

• Like 2

Have you made sure you connected the 6 or 8 pin power connector for the graphics card? It sounds like you haven't cos the graphics card is trying to spin up the fans, deciding it doesn't have the power (captain) and then turning off again.

You can also see if it's an issue with the GFX card. Use the video out on the motherboard to rule out a wider issue.

5 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

No information....

Can't help you.

Instead of saying you can't help, may be suggest to the OP what information you do need to help?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Have you made sure you connected the 6 or 8 pin power connector for the graphics card? It sounds like you haven't cos the graphics card is trying to spin up the fans, deciding it doesn't have the power (captain) and then turning off again.

The card gives an error message in that case. It always has enough power to run in 2D mode.

is it an intel cpu by any chance, pretty sure SC302 posted elsewhere a root cause of a potential reason for it, try loosening off the heatsink screws and have them only hand tight. Z270s and Z370 based boards dont have a retainer for heatsinks anymore. If you over tighten the heatsink screws it can stop it from posting.

check and double check each power connector into the motherboard is snug and square (so 24 pin ATX connector and the 4 pin P4 connector)

failing that whip everything out the board except the CPU/HS (no ram or gpu or expansion cards) connect the monitor to the onboard see if the board powers up and if the board posts it should beep like a mofo for no ram (if the board has a pc speaker ofc, it may have lights to also tell you whats failing the post) then try each part if successful.

It could also be a short to the motherboard underneath, double check each standoff fitted only matches the fixing points.

5 minutes ago, Mando said:

It could also be a short to the motherboard underneath, double check each standoff fitted only matches the fixing points.

That one is almost impossible for an inexperienced person to judge. Particularly hair thin contact points.

That is why I always suggest pulling the entire motherboard and powering up on some cardboard as an insulator.

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

That one is almost impossible for an inexperienced person to judge. Particularly hair thin contact points.

That is why I always suggest pulling the entire motherboard and powering up on some cardboard as an insulator.

i always hold the mobo above the base of the case and look through the holes, i then check each hole matches a standoff. Then count them :)9 holes, 9 standoffs (or similar) ofc your cardboard trick also works :) or the anti-static bag it came in also.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mando said:

i always hold the mobo above the base of the case and look through the holes, i then check each hole matches a standoff. Then count them :)9 holes, 9 standoffs (or similar) ofc your cardboard trick also works :) or the anti-static bag it came in also.

One nice thing about pulling the motherboard is the chance to double-check everything at a detail level. One long ago with an aftermarket cooler, I had screw it down so tight that the motherboard itself had warped so much I must have caused a break in one of the internal layers.

In recent years I find the most common cause for "no boot" is wacky RAM connection or even RAM the mobo just does not like very much. Jam that RAM in tight!

3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

One nice thing about pulling the motherboard is the chance to double-check everything at a detail level. One long ago with an aftermarket cooler, I had screw it down so tight that the motherboard itself had warped so much I must have caused a break in one of the internal layers.

In recent years I find the most common cause for "no boot" is wacky RAM connection or even RAM the mobo just does not like very much. Jam that RAM in tight!

yep, tbh when i built my 7700k based machine, i was surprised to see there is no longer the support frame round the socket, like back on the older boards, i suppose its to allow for more aftermarket coolers. Although i never understood why the 7700k flagship doesnt have a stock cooler supplied.

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

never understood why the 7700k flagship doesnt have a stock cooler supplied.

My guess is just a "marketing" adjustment. People that buy the "K" version are hardcore elite and don't need "no stinkin crappy stock cooler"!

Or else they had too many previous support headaches with people buying a K and thinking they could get great overclocks with the supplied cooler?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

My guess is just a "marketing" adjustment. People that buy the "K" version are hardcore elite and don't need "no stinkin crappy stock cooler"!

Or else they had too many previous support headaches with people buying a K and thinking they could get great overclocks with the supplied cooler?

could well be, back in the day my 2600k came with a stock intel HS, and as you say it got put into my parts "bucket" for a 3rd party Zalman. 

I went Corsair 115i this time around, because i could :) 

8 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

It is connected. 

4 minutes ago, MOODALI said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XJzcXH here is the build... When I turn it on all the fans/lights are on, and the graphics cards fan turns on, but then a few seconds later only the graphics card's fans stop running. everything else continues to be on. And even though its on and its connected into the monitor, there is still no display.

Guys, can a 450W supply his system? Sounds like he's underpowered. Just my 2 cents...

Re: The GPU. The fans turning off doesn't matter since it is a semi passive cooling solution (they are off at x temp/y load). Are you getting a blinking light (or a solid light) above the 8 pin PCIe power connector?  If no light than you're good.

Are you sure your input selection is correct on the monitor?

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

Re: The GPU. The fans turning off doesn't matter since it is a semi passive cooling solution (they are off at x temp/y load). Are you getting a blinking light (or a solid light) above the 8 pin PCIe power connector?  If no light than you're good.

Are you sure your input selection is correct on the monitor?

there is no light coming from the gpu, and I am pretty sure the monitor is not the problem.

15 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Guys, can a 450W supply his system? Sounds like he's underpowered. Just my 2 cents...

Not sure about that power supply, but NVIDIA only recommends a 400W power supply for the entire system.

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Not sure about that power supply, but NVIDIA only recommends a 400W power supply for the entire system.

And little headroom...