Just a built new PC; No display; Graphics card fan turns on for a few seconds then stops

Addressing the comments about not adding power to graphics cards that require extra power supplied from the PSU, I think it varies according to brand of card. My EVGA GTX760 will display a warning on my monitor about the gpu will not function due to insufficient power. It is feasible that some simply will not work while some will work just enough to tell you about it.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Guys, can a 450W supply his system? Sounds like he's underpowered. Just my 2 cents...

good point mate, initial post can draw as much power as full 3d mode on some cards, whats the amp rating on the 12v rail? *update* its 45A

Im unfamiliar of the power draw for Ryzens, if its meaty plus the cards draw may push it close.

looking at the specs of that mobo it has 4 LEDs to indicate whats stopping it from completing POST, when you power it on are any staying lit? Suspect it doesnt have a PC speaker feature if it has the diagnostic LEDS for POST. whatever LED is lit when it fails to post is the problem. If none are lit, im wagering an earth short. Devtechs suggestions of rebuilding outwith your case would negate any possible earthing issue with board in the case. A pain in the rear end but sometimes its a required evil. 

If board still doesnt post with error LEDs with no gpu or ram in it, out of the case, the board could be DOA.

my EVGA 1080ti Founders will not allow the system to post if the extra power connectors are not fitted.

I don't think I can recall a recent thread at Neowin with this number of posters all saying the same thing over and over.

That doesn't hurt the OP since he can read the same advice worded in so many different ways that it is all bound to sink in.

When I click on a thread and the question has already been well answered by one of the many great people at Neowin, I just move on to another one (time permitting) that might need help. I'm sure everyone does the same thing so there is something just a bit odd here in this thread where we are on Page 3 of endless repeats of the same thing. What is curious is, why?

What is it about this particular question that has people intrigued? 

Perhaps it is just a fond memory of our own personal beginning in the PC adventure, the mistakes we made in the past that brings a smile to our face, a warm feeling of camaraderie with the OP?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I don't think I can recall a recent thread at Neowin with this number of posters all saying the same thing over and over.

That doesn't hurt the OP since he can read the same advice worded in so many different ways that it is all bound to sink in.

<snip>

That's because all the OP wants is answers, not to find it out on his own.

17 minutes ago, DevTech said:

What is it about this particular question that has people intrigued? 

Perhaps it is just a fond memory of our own personal beginning in the PC adventure, the mistakes we made in the past that brings a smile to our face, a warm feeling of camaraderie with the OP?

I think thats it mate, weve all been at that point where your ready to drop kit the infernal silicon out the window. the moment when you think, why did i cheap out and build myself, shoulda went to {insert vendor here} its just not worth the pain and grief, to save a couple of hundred on the total cost LOL :) we all feel his pain i suspect.

I vowed this 7700k build is my last self build (and also why i held nothing back, 7700, 1080ti, liquid cooled etc etc), i seriously cannot be bothered with the hassle and stress anymore lol, especially when it doesnt POST :D it will be Scan or Mesh next time :p

46 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's because all the OP wants is answers, not to find it out on his own.

Interesting, I had not thought of that possibility but then again that's why I asked the question.

Maybe he just lacks confidence?

Perhaps many many more people would build their own PCs if they had the confidence to think they could bushwack their way through to the end!

3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Interesting, I had not thought of that possibility but then again that's why I asked the question.

Maybe he just lacks confidence?

Perhaps many many more people would build their own PCs if they had the confidence to think they could bushwack their way through to the end!

knocking up pcs is the easy part (like lego technics), when it wont post or go as planned not so. :) I get asked to build lots of self builders for people, these days i politely decline, isnt worth the grief. :) 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mando said:

I think thats it mate, weve all been at that point where your ready to drop kit the infernal silicon out the window. the moment when you think, why did i cheap out and build myself, shoulda went to {insert vendor here} its just not worth the pain and grief, to save a couple of hundred on the total cost LOL :) we all feel his pain i suspect.

I vowed this 7700k build is my last self build (and also why i held nothing back, 7700, 1080ti, liquid cooled etc etc), i seriously cannot be bothered with the hassle and stress anymore lol, especially when it doesnt POST :D it will be Scan or Mesh next time :p

I'm not familiar with "Scan or Mesh" so I thought it might be a Scottish expression or maybe an activity of Forfar...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186494-Activities-Forfar_Angus_Scotland.html

Then there is 3D printing of a new computer via "Scan to Mesh"

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/recap/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Reality-Capture/files/GUID-57EE9105-057A-41F9-B5E1-D6268E1E92AE-htm.html

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I'm not familiar with "Scan or Mesh" so I thought it might be a Scottish expression or maybe an activity of Forfar...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186494-Activities-Forfar_Angus_Scotland.html

Then there is 3D printing of a new computer via "Scan to Mesh"

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/recap/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Reality-Capture/files/GUID-57EE9105-057A-41F9-B5E1-D6268E1E92AE-htm.html

lol nah :) trip advisor claims 2 bars, more like 19 at last count :) 

https://www.scan.co.uk/

and 

https://www.meshcomputers.com/

Just now, sc302 said:

Let's not forget the time it takes away from family or doing other things that you find more interesting.  It is a hobby for us, it isn't a hobby for most. 

Yep, tbh the older i get the less i want to self build :p maybe im just getting too old for it :p or I spend enough time fixing pcs in a work capacity that I dont really want to when I get home, more so on my own rig.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mando said:

I spend enough time fixing pcs in a work capacity that I dont really want to when I get home, more so on my own rig.

I know that feeling and that is one of the big reasons my desktop sat for 6 months, didn't want to fiddle with it and troubleshoot the darn thing when I spend my work day doing just that for other people.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DevTech said:

1. New build.

2. Assemble all the parts.

3. Annoy the God Murphy by actually screwing on the case cover before testing

4. Won't boot.

We've all been there....

<snip>

Yup, NEVER EVER put the screws in the side cover before at least a boot to "Please Insert Boot Media"  :p

I presume the OP has checked that the CPU power connector is in correctly? Motherboards will show a similar behaviour if that hasn't been plugged in, you'll see fans coming up but the motherboard itself won't do much of anything.

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

No, but his motherboard does

Bristol Ridge has on board gfx, Ryzen does not, the motherboard uses the dvi/hdmi as a passthrough if you install a cpu with onboard gfx.

• Like 1

System fans work fine, yeah i was talking about the gpu fans my bad.
So you checked the manual?

Checked GPU power supply?
Checked motherboard power supply cables , both of them?

On 15/09/2017 at 9:09 AM, Slarlac249 said:

Bristol Ridge has on board gfx, Ryzen does not, the motherboard uses the dvi/hdmi as a passthrough if you install a cpu with onboard gfx.

I'll take your word for it, but I did read about it having integrated radeon graphics and 4k support. 

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-rev-10#kf

Granted I may be mistaken, but why would it have an on board DVI and hdmi port if it relies on an additional card? (Which have their own ports)

EVERYTHING IS FINE... IT turns out that I plugged the hdmi on to the motherboard instead of the graphics card!!!! It works perfectly.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:59 PM, Mockingbird said:

I just want to make sure.

The display cable to connect to the video card and not motherboard, right?

Ryzen 5 1600 doesn't have an onboard iGPU

You got it right on the money!!!

53 minutes ago, MOODALI said:

EVERYTHING IS FINE... IT turns out that I plugged the hdmi on to the motherboard instead of the graphics card!!!! It works perfectly.

And that... Is the stupidest thing ever...

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

And that... Is the stupidest thing ever...

I just have to suppress my "inner-Goretsky" for a minute and be utterly flummoxed with the concept of NOT plugging a video cable into the video card.

• Haha 2

come on people we have all made that one stupid mistake building our pc's in the past.

Mine was testing everything and it worked on the bench, built the full system no post, stripped and rebuilt the system three times before, I realised the some in the house had unplugged the power extension I was using :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1