• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PC remote access software that has an Android client?

Question

+Elliot B.    1,546

I already use TeamViewer but once every month or two, it doesn't connect and I only find out when I am remote and trying to connect :p

So I'm going to set up a second program as a backup.

I had issues with LogMeIn, so I am avoiding that one.

Any suggestions?

16 answers to this question

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,346

AnyDesk is one that's advertised here on Neowin frequently, it has an android client too apparently.

HawkMan    5,232

Plain standard RDP with port forwarding as necessary. 

+Elliot B.    1,546
2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Can't be bothered with messing with my router, firewall etc.

TeamViewer makes is really easy.

I'm just looking for an alternative as a backup.

Circaflex    3,555
3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I would advise against this. It is never a good idea to have the RDP port open to the internet unless you take extra security measures; ie VPN in then RDP or limit RDP to certain IPs, etc. 

• Like 1

Mando    5,117

VPN to router on fixed IP then Microsofts RDP client for android, wins every time for me, set it once and leave it, ofc that requires a static IP for router. 9 times out of 10 port forwarding is not required, if it is, your only setting port 3389 job done, you could then allow only your android device to connect to RDP by setting up mac filtering if your router supports it (if it supports VPN feature it will have mac filtering). This method is way more secure than allowing Teamviewer and the like to allow inbound connections to your home estate 24/7.

Ive also used that for work when required, we do not allow any 3rd party remote software like Teamviewer, LMI etc due to 3rd party routing of traffic and authentication, due to the sector I work in.

• Like 2

+warwagon    13,117

Just run PiVPN in Virtual box on one of your machines. Then port forward the port to the virtualbox IP. Then install OpenVPN on Android. Then put the ovpn file on your phone and use it with openvpn and connect with that into your network then use RDP. It's so simple :D

Plus you can use that as a VPN too when you are away from home for private web browsing.

• Like 2

Circaflex    3,555
21 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Just run PiVPN in Virtual box on one of your machines. Then port forward the port to the virtualbox IP. Then install OpenVPN on Android. Then put the ovpn file on your phone and use it with openvpn and connect with that into your network then use RDP. It's so simple :D

Plus you can use that as a VPN too when you are away from home for private web browsing.

Considering OP didn't want to do something as simple as opening a port for RDP, I doubt he would use this setup. It is the correct way to do this, however I don't think he wants it to be this technical.

Mando    5,117
28 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yup, with having VPN ability on my router, i route all my mobile browsing and my partners via this method. Screw using hotspots where any owner of said "free" wifi can monitor your traffic packets and worse. A external static IP is also an option free from my ISP. 

I do the same for work via my work iphone tethered by cable to work laptop, when required on the move, via Cisco Anyconnect VPN. 

+warwagon    13,117
8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Considering OP didn't want to do something as simple as opening a port for RDP, I doubt he would use this setup. It is the correct way to do this, however I don't think he wants it to be this technical.

While i'll agree it's simple to open a port for RDP, yes but also NOT recommended! But I see your point.

Mando    5,117
Just now, warwagon said:

Simple to open a port for RDP, yes... NOT recommended... YES! But I see your point.

as long as you filter by mac addy/client whos allowed to connect its quite safe. NAT should only open the port when requested, with filtered clients. Not ideal but safe enough.

+warwagon    13,117
1 minute ago, Mando said:

as long as you filter by mac addy/client whos allowed to connect its quite safe. NAT should only open the port when requested, with filtered clients. Not ideal but safe enough.

Just as safe as mac address filtering for wifi ;) 

Mando    5,117
45 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Just as safe as Mac address filtering for wifi ;) 

nah mate, far safer.

A decent SOHO router will have full SPI firewall on the external interface, internally probably not on the wifi part. it shouldnt leak what mac addys are permitted to connect to any stealthed port.

If i enable the ability and check with shields up! it shows 100% stealthed port. 

I have 3389 port forwarded as a test and the following port scan shows its stealthed. Safe as houses. to anyone looking at my static IP, its as if it is unused as its 100% stealthed on all ports.

It wouldnt be my first choice of a solution, VPN ability on router would be any day via my own 4G data.

3389.thumb.jpg.800d64dccfe591a693dcb83a7dbba7ef.jpg

I use the extra step of the VPN to encrypt my traffic between source and destination, but I also never use free wifi hotspots, nothing is free in this world. Im not saying they are all nefarious, but id rather use my own 4G data thanks.

xendrome    5,490
7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I would advise against this. It is never a good idea to have the RDP port open to the internet unless you take extra security measures; ie VPN in then RDP or limit RDP to certain IPs, etc. 

or at a minimum change the default listening port in regedit.

• Like 2

xendrome    5,490

What about "Chrome Remote Desktop", Splashtop, GoToMyPC?

HawkMan    5,232
16 hours ago, Circaflex said:

RDP in windows 7 and up has pretty good security if you set it up properly.  you can also set up the port forwarding to only allow specific IP's but that limits you if you need access from other places than specific locations.  And yeah, don't use the standard port. 

• Like 1

Mando    5,117
9 hours ago, xendrome said:

What about "Chrome Remote Desktop", Splashtop, GoToMyPC?

I keep forgetting you can do that with Chrome. :)