I'm starting to get hooked on Home Automation!

Yesterday I went and purchased a Phillips Hue starter kit.  I quickly realized, that bringing the phone out and launching the app, toggling the lights or dimming them became an inconvenience issue of sorts.  My wife is pretty tech savvy, but is not as much as we are and I could already see the look in her eyes....the dread, the horror!  "You mean I have to use my phone now?!?!" type of look.  So, I did the next logical thing.,  Purchased an Echo Dot.

So, all last night, and today, everyone has had fun making Alexa do things, all while I am plotting my next investment into the home automation realm.   I live in an apartment so it is not easy to do some things like install light strips with permanent tape, or install a smart lock (Unless it is the one that slides over the deadbolt), or even use the Google Nest line.  So, my options are fairly limited.  But I am planning on adding a light strip behind my couch or in places that I think would be cool to add some ambiance.  Maybe a motion sensor for under the bed and lights to light the path at night when using the restroom etc..

Who else is automating their apartment/flat? 

13 minutes ago, PNWDweller said:

Who else is automating their apartment/flat? 

I am, albeit slowly.  It can be very expensive, but I love smart devices.  I started couple years ago with a smart thermostat (Ecobee), then I purchased a smart garage door opener and next year I'll be getting a smart sprinkler controller.  Eventually I plan to get a hub for it all (Echo, Google Home or Apple HomePod) and integrate everything.

I'm also slowly shopping for automated blinds and smart home vents.  

Just now, ctebah said:

I am, albeit slowly.  It can be very expensive, but I love smart devices.  I started couple years ago with a smart thermostat (Ecobee), then I purchased a smart garage door opener and next year I'll be getting a smart sprinkler controller.  Eventually I plan to get a hub for it all (Echo, Google Home or Apple HomePod) and integrate everything.

I'm also slowly shopping for automated blinds and smart home vents.  

I'm playing with my Raspberry Pi and HomeAssistant which acts as a front end for the devices.  Controlling the Roku, Kodi, Lights, Etc...pretty slick program.  Open source and quite expandable.   The prices have started to become more economical with the price of the Dot and the starter set for the lights including the hub.  I have that controlling my living room light to turn on around sunset and slowly raise the lumens to full to light the room more seamless.  

Just now, PNWDweller said:

I'm playing with my Raspberry Pi and HomeAssistant which acts as a front end for the devices.  Controlling the Roku, Kodi, Lights, Etc...pretty slick program.  Open source and quite expandable.   The prices have started to become more economical with the price of the Dot and the starter set for the lights including the hub.  I have that controlling my living room light to turn on around sunset and slowly raise the lumens to full to light the room more seamless.  

That's my next project, to get the Pi and some open source software and go forward.  I'm installing some pot lights into my living room and hallway and will probably make them "smart" somehow.  I haven't gotten to the house lights yet but probably next year.

49 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Using a voice assistant slows everything down.

Waste of money.

Fad.

Yeah, there are instances where it would be faster to whip out your phone to control a light switch instead of waiting for the Dot to respond. Where the assistants really shine are the scenes.

To answer OP's question, I'm in the slow process of automating my home. I have a Nest and a Wemo switch for now with a few IFTTT applets. The idea I have. The dream, really, is to set up a scene for when I'm leaving for work (I'm always the last out the door) I can just say, "Alexa, I'm going to work," and have it set the Nest to away mode, turn off all of the lights, and lock the doors. All without me having to run around and do it myself. It would probably save me five minutes every morning. 

Edited by benthebear
spelling

4 minutes ago, benthebear said:

The dream, really, is to set up a scene for when I'm leaving for work (I'm always the last out the door) I can just say, "Alexa, I'm going to work," and have it set the Nest to away mode, turn off all of the lights, and lock the doors. All without me having to run around and do it myself. It would probably save me five minutes every morning. 

That's my ultimate goal as well.  And to do the opposite when I'm returning home.

Also, to check whether I left the oven on before I left home...

1 hour ago, Elliot B. said:

Using a voice assistant slows everything down.

Waste of money.

Fad.

My girlfriend loves her Alexa.  She adds everything to her shopping list through it.  Not sure how it slows everything down.  I don't have to type on my phone, just speak.  Especially driving.  It's much safer and quicker.