Sign in to follow this  

Horror as college student, 21, dies after falling while train hopping with her boyfriend

Mockingbird    2,052

L1.thumb.jpg.7d6dd3dcedf0a02a17e5e7e87522619e.jpg

A Carlow University student leaped to her death and was dragged beneath two trains while playing a game with her boyfriend.

Lindsey Michaels, 21, and her partner, whose name has not been disclosed, were jumping trains near South 7th Street and P.J. McArdle Roadway around 2.30am Sunday in South Side Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, WTAE reports.

Norfolk and Pittsburgh police described what they know of the nightmare incident in a written statement, as they continue further investigation.

'The train, moving 130 cars loaded with coal, was traveling at about 3 to 4 mph through this area and then began to pick up speed,' Norfolk Southern spokesman Jon Glass wrote.

'The train crew did not see anyone trying to jump on the train and was not aware that anyone might have been hit.'

Michaels' boyfriend was transported to the hospital to be treated for an ankle injury.

L2.thumb.jpg.1cd9d1b5c5f8f81b1b5c7e983f1e92bc.jpg

L3.thumb.jpg.49c8e483700fa87178f923e82f7d74c8.jpg

L4.thumb.jpg.6662c4777ecf9767b3dc5ea0ef8aa88f.jpg

A classmate close to the couple told WTAE she felt saddened for Michaels' boyfriend, who came out of accident with an injury and lost his soulmate in the process.

'They literally loved each other so much. They were together for a long time so you just... I know how much she loved him and the other way around,' Danielle Levato said.

'I feel really bad for him and nobody should have to go through that no matter how long they were together.'

Michaels' longtime friend, Lexy Mercurie, remembered her as a fun-loving person who she shared countless childhood memories with. 

L5.thumb.jpg.2654af0b88846ce3a8d892caa9665106.jpg

L6.thumb.jpg.387a3d78c532f25c679ccf12959d5268.jpg

'We were just always really good friends. I was like a couple streets down. I walked to her house every day. It was like the same routine all the time,' Mercurie said. 

'She always just lived in the moment and she always wanted to have fun. I don't think they expected anything like that to ever happen, you know?' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4852916/College-student-dies-train-hopping-boyfriend.html

Edited by Mockingbird

jnelsoninjax    8,525

So the underlying question is why would you think it ok to play on/near railroad tracks?

• Like 3

+FloatingFatMan    13,136

I feel sorry for the people who had to clean her mess up.

I feel sorry for the drivers of those trains.

I feel sorry for her parents.

I do NOT feel sorry for her or her boyfriend. They're a pair of utter morons, one of whom Darwin has already claimed, and the other one will be being watched!

• Like 5

+Mirumir    5,155

4 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So the underlying question is why would you think it ok to play on/near railroad tracks?

Trainhopping, riding a freight train on the rooftop of a hopper car, or jumping between rooftops of moving cars is a real epidemic in Russia these days.

The newer generation is hungry for adrenaline, for anything that's extreme. It's how they get their high. And then they post videos of their stunts on Instagram and perceive themselves to be cool when they receive loads of likes from their peers.

Mockingbird    2,052
13 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Actually, they were train hopping.

+JHBrown    10,551

Train hopping at 2:30 in the morning. At what point does the mind say, "this seems like a cool, and safe thing to do." I wonder if drugs, or alcohol played a role.

• Like 1

Wrinkly    2

Oh come on, this is just natural selection at its best. Gets my vote for the Darwin award.

How the hell did I reach this bollox?

• Like 2

+warwagon    9,650

Lesson Learned.

Buttus    875
1 hour ago, JHBrown said:

Train hopping at 2:30 in the morning. At what point does the mind say, "this seems like a cool, and safe thing to do." I wonder if drugs, or alcohol played a role.

yea, i think it mentioned that in the article, i guess they had been drinking

techbeck    4,970
On 9/17/2017 at 2:35 AM, Mirumir said:

Trainhopping, riding a freight train on the rooftop of a hopper car, or jumping between rooftops of moving cars is a real epidemic in Russia these days.

Yea, but you Russians are crazy.  I would think that would be a typical day there...haha.  Some of the videos on Youtube are nutts.

Anyway, do stupid things...this is what can happen.

ramesees    294

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm    262

makes you wonder what goes through someones mind to think, hey, let's do this!

big nope written all over it, i hate it when standing on a platform and a freight train thunders past...that's enough to give you a brief scare. trains are a massive NOPE when thinking about messing about.

only have to see stuff in the news to thank god the maker you have more sense than some.

DocM    12,612
On 9/16/2017 at 11:29 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

Acquiring a "higher education education" does not equate to having the common sense God gave a gopher.

There seems to be an overabundance of people who after acquiring the former, misplaced the latter.

• Like 2

Shiranui    1,679

They literally loved each other so much.

As opposed to figuratively loving each other so much?

I feel really bad for him and nobody should have to go through that no matter how long they were together.

Yeah, this needs to be said, because there are actually people out there that argue that there is as a certain amount of time before or after which people should be compelled to watch their partner be crushed by a train. 

• Like 1

Mockingbird    2,052

I feel sorry for her parents.

They have so many pictures of her on their Facebook.

You can tell that they loved her.

Her sister too, I supposed.