Clonezilla failing on new systems with 7th generation Intel processors

sks447

Hi guys, Clonezilla is failing to create an image of any laptop or desktop that has a new 7th generation Intel processor. Any ideas? It works on anything else I throw at it. It appears to be an issue with how the partitions are setup on these new systems. Thanks.

20170912_103847.jpg

Edited by sks447
farmeunit

Not sure what the processor has to do with the partitions....

Only thing I see is this and it's related to graphics card, so appears different that your issue.

https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_live/thread/05295651/?limit=25

Have you tried fresh format and reinstall using one format.  GPT or MBR.

sks447
1 minute ago, farmeunit said:

Not sure what the processor has to do with the partitions....

Only thing I see is this and it's related to graphics card, so appears different that your issue.

https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_live/thread/05295651/?limit=25

Have you tried fresh format and reinstall using one format.  GPT or MBR.

The part where I get the error is the very last step before it grabs the image. The user in the graphics thread wasn't even able to boot to clonezilla. The partition error just happens to only appear on systems with the newer processors. I have tried an newly formatted hard drive and the error is the same. Somehow Clonezilla reads MBR and GPT and it gets messed up. Very odd issue. Thanks for the reply.

Unobscured Vision

I've seen that with UEFI's that were doing funky things with disk handling. I was left with more questions than answers. :no: 

farmeunit

We disable UEFI and use Legacy boot for all our imaging right now.  I want to start using UEFI, but haven't had time to work on it.  If you disable Secure Boot and UEFI, what happens?

sks447
8 hours ago, farmeunit said:

We disable UEFI and use Legacy boot for all our imaging right now.  I want to start using UEFI, but haven't had time to work on it.  If you disable Secure Boot and UEFI, what happens?

Same thing, you have to disable UEFI just to get into Clonezilla.

goretsky

Hello,

Are you using the i686 or amd64 build of Clonezilla?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

sks447
20 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Are you using the i686 or amd64 build of Clonezilla?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi, I am using the i386/686 version.

goretsky

Hello,

You might want to try using the amd64 version, as those 7th generation Intel processors and chipsets may be doing something that the compiler used to make those i386/686 builds does not like, at a guess.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

sks447
7 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

You might want to try using the amd64 version, as those 7th generation Intel processors and chipsets may be doing something that the compiler used to make those i386/686 builds does not like, at a guess.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Great idea, i'll check it out. Thanks!

• Like 1
sks447
On 9/20/2017 at 6:31 AM, sks447 said:

No luck with the AMD version. Its the dang partition issue.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Timi Cantisano
      BlackBerry Ghost could hit the market with 4,000mAh battery
      by Timi Cantisano

Source: Evan Blass It was several months ago when we reported on a handset that could become one of the sleekest BlackBerry smartphones to date. While it has yet to make an official appearance, a new piece of information has been leaked regarding the BlackBerry Ghost.

Today, Evan Blass provided a new piece of information, stating that the Ghost will include a 4,000mAh battery. This would make it one of the largest batteries found in a recent BlackBerry handset. While we have seen a few BlackBerry devices come to market over the past year, for the most part, these units were produced and released by TCL. But the BlackBerry name isn't just licensed by TCL and includes two others: BB Merah Putih and Optiemus Infracom. If rumors are to be believed, the Ghost could be the first device released by the latter.

Unfortunately, there still isn't much known about the Ghost, but if prior information is accurate, it should arrive sometime in the summer and will have a dual camera setup on the rear. Hopefully, we will see this unit announced soon and revealed in an official manner.

Source: Evan Blass (Twitter)

• By Timi Cantisano
      The unannounced Ghost will be BlackBerry's sleekest handset yet
      by Timi Cantisano

Over the past year, there have been a few BlackBerry handsets that came to market. For the most part, many will be familiar with the KEYone and Motion, produced and released by TCL. But the BlackBerry name isn't just licensed to TCL, but also includes two others: BB Merah Putih and Optiemus Infracom. While the former released the Aurora last year, the latter has yet to announce anything. That might soon change, as a new leak shows off a handset by the firm known only as the Ghost.

As you can tell from the image, which was leaked by Evan Blass, the unannounced device looks very sleek. The design language is quite different from previous BlackBerry handsets, looking more modern than any that have been released to date. Unfortunately, what you see at this time is pretty much what you get. There are no other details on the phone.

Despite the timing of the release being unknown, this will be a handset that is known to be destined for India. Naturally, we will have to be patient until more details arrive or until the firm in charge formally announces it.

Source: Evan Blass (Twitter)

• By FDtoRA
      I captured an image from a Windows 7 computer using clonezilla.  The image is stored on an external usb drive.

Within the folder that clonezilla created are files:
      sda5.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa
      sda1.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa
      sda2.info
      sda2.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ab
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ac
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ad
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ae
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.af
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ag
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ah
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ai
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aj
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ak
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.al
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.am
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.an
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ao
      sda3.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ap

I want to browse the files that were stored on the laptop from which the clonezilla image was obtained.  I cannot restore the image to a laptop as I do not have identical hardware of the laptop from which the image was obtained.

I would like to mount the image in a virtual machine, but do not know how to do this base don't he information I have read.  The closest I get is that I create a windows 7 vm, somehow boot clonezilla in the vm and then restore the image from the external usb hard drive to the vm.  How do I boot clonezilla in the vm and then get clonezilla to restore the image to the vm?

Another option I have heard is that I can mount the clonezilla image in OS X as a Samba share.  If I can mount a clonezilla image as a Samba share, will this allow me to browse the files from the laptop (e.g. docx, xlsx, pptx, bmp, mp3, etc.)?  What steps are required to mount the clonezilla in OS X?

A third option (if it is eve possible based on my understanding of reading about restoring clonezilla images) is to create a bootable usb drive with the image on it.  From http://clonezilla.org/fine-print-live-doc.php?path=./clonezilla-live/doc/04_Create_Recovery_Clonezilla/09-select-options-then-create.doc, "If you want to create a recovery USB flash drive, choose to create zip file, then follow the same method as creating USB flash drive version of Clonezilla live to put the created zip file on USB flash drive and make it bootable."   The method for creating a usb flash drive version of clonezilla is to use tuxboot and select the clonezilla iso.  The problem I have with this method is that I already created an iso file of the image using clonezilla, but the iso contained the same img.gz.a* files so it didn't get me to a point where I could boot the iso.  Will the zip file create a bootable usb drive where I can browse the files the image captured, or will it just create a bootable usb drive with clonezilla on it where I can then use clonezilla to restore the image to the internal hard drive?

TL;DR I have a clonezilla image of a laptop using windows 7, and I want to be able to browse the files of the laptop that are contained in the clonezilla image.  How can I do this?

Thank you for your help.
    • By Ian W
      While using Windows Vista Beta 1 build 5112 to experiment with its virtual folder functionality my eye caught something while saving a file that it had seen previously: a file with distinct visual effects during the save process. This was not a visual artifact or a result of using pre-release software, but a preview representation of the file about to be saved, designed to aid the user during the save process.

There are apparently only a very few references to this preview representation on the Internet. Paul Thurrott did share what were referred to as "interesting Vista prototypes," most of which depicted this preview representation, but there are no details about it provided in the article. Additionally, there are at least three patents that explicitly mention the feature, and at least one image included in what is apparently Microsoft's own documentation, but the scarcity of information is the reason I wanted to post this topic and discuss the feature with fellow Neowinians.

For those interested, one can trace the history of the preview representation feature—preliminarily referred to as "Save Ghost"—back to "pre-reset 'Longhorn'" when Microsoft sought to create an "improved metadata management system" that largely focused on the property pane (i.e., the details pane). It is not the purpose of this post to discuss all of the aspects of this system—the patent, titled Metadata editing control, is available for viewing—as I want to focus solely on a single aspect of the system described in the patent, and that is the "Save Ghost" feature.

Metadata editing control suggests that "Save Ghost" was conceived as a result of the ability to navigate based on properties (emphasis mine); image provided for context:

Perhaps stated in a simple way: as part of the invention, an expandable dialog box with a property pane could be implemented into the operating system and it could allow users to navigate based not only on folders, but on properties. Because of the new storage capabilities, a preview representation, or ghost, could be part of this new dialog box to aid the the user during the save process, and to facilitate the creation of files with metadata properties.

A continuation-in-part of Metadata editing control, titled Save Preview Representation of Files Being Created, provides additional reasons to include "Save Ghost." It describes how current user interfaces are ineffective in regards to "the way files are represented during the file creation process." Users always organize and / or view existing files while navigating, but such features are unavailable for files that have not yet been saved as there is no preview representation, and thus no visual confirmation of what an unsaved file could look like in File Explorer or where it could appear (e.g., in a group of files).

As one would expect, Save Preview Representation of Files Being Created also elaborates the previous information provided by Metadata editing control in regards to user features. For instance, the patent mentions the ability to automatically assign properties "based on user navigation," which was previously alluded to. The sliver of text that focuses on this aspect of the ghost has been written in bold text in this topic for emphasis.

It also suggests that the following aspects—some of which were alluded to but not explicitly mentioned in Metadata editing control—could have been implemented as part of the "Save Ghost":

The ghost could be treated like a file already saved (e.g., selected, dragged, dropped)
        Users could overwrite an existing similar file (e.g., by dragging and dropping the ghost on to an existing file) and receive its metadata properties; if the user later decided, before completing the save process, that this was not desired, no file would be replaced and the original metadata values belonging to the ghost could be automatically reinstated into the details pane; completely cancelling the save process can remove the ghost (along with its metadata properties)
        Users could drag a ghost into a group to inherit that group's metadata properties; similarly, the ghost could change its location within the interface (e.g., position itself within another group) based on properties that were added by the user (e.g., added via the details pane)
        The system could be sophisticated to understand that when navigating to a new location, the user may not necessary want to add a property to the ghost
        A unique context menu with commands for the ghost could be incorporated
        The system could prevent the ghost from being saved to an invalid save location or from being moved outside of the Save As dialog, which could potentially prevent confusing user scenarios
      I realize that not all of what is described in the patents may have necessarily been included in the shipping product, but the information is intended to provide a general overview of the potential functionality. Note that some of the potential functionality was already included in pre-release Windows Vista.

For illustrative purposes, an example animation of the ghost as it appears in Windows Vista Beta 1 build 5112 has been provided. The ghost features a subtle opacity change of the filename and thumbnail of the file about to be saved, and a distinct text color. Moreover, a tooltip appears when the user hovers a mouse cursor over the ghost to inform the user that the ghost is the file about to be saved. Please notice how in the above animation, simply navigating to a keyword automatically assigns that keyword as a property of the ghost in the details pane.

It should be noted that, while not depicted in the animation above, changing the filename in the "File name" field also changes the filename of the ghost, and saving the ghost causes it to become a normal file. In other words, in these respects, the ghost is largely similar to the traditional file save process.

While the feature may seem like a minor addition to the operating system, Microsoft's reasons to implement it were laudable. Alas, as indicated in the screenshot above, it was not included in Windows Vista (or subsequent versions of Windows). Perhaps it was scrapped because, like most of the virtual folder functionality in Windows Vista Beta, it was deemed to be too confusing.
    • By Hum
      You decide: :iiam: