iphone 7 to X or S8 or wait?

ACTIONpack    383

I have been an iPhone user for a year now. I use to me a Windows Mobile user but I know Microsoft will end the platform so I which to iPhone 7. I can't seem to justify to upgrade to the 8 because the design looks outdated. I was thinking about getting the X but the cut out screen is not pleasing but would get that over the 8 any day. I was thinking about which to Galaxy S8 because it's a beautiful phone but would need to switch to Android and all the apps I have under the IOS seem a lot of work and money.

Should I get the iphone X or S8 or wait for Xs or X1 next year?

HawkMan    5,164

Why not the iphone 8? 

ACTIONpack    383
3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Why not the iphone 8? 

Would be a waste of money because it's just a iPhone 7 but with faster CPU. The bezel is thick for a2017 phone. I have the jump! Program by T-Mobile and don't see my self renewing it for the 8.

+The Evil Overlord    17,776

You mentioned apps, what sort of apps do you need?

Play store apps are mostly free, the premium ones aren't all that expensive

the iphone 7 is still a competent device, so unless you have the money to pay for the 8 or x, I'd get that

The Nokia 8 is also an incredible device, I have one, and feel comfortable in recommending it

Tuskd    1,457

If you have deeply invested in iOS with lots of paid apps, stick with the iPhone line. If you are staying with the iPhone, wait till next year since it is speculated that iPhone X will be very difficult to get your hands on until 2018

If you want to look into Android, S8 makes sense. It is a very nice phone which is much cheaper than the iPhone X.

I would also recommend the Note8, if you want a more worthy competitor to the X.

Edit: For iOS vs Android, it hardly makes any difference these days. Almost all major apps are on both iOS and Android. With a few exceptions where the iOS app gets released earlier than Android. Unless the app is paid, there is very little exclusivity.

Edited by Tuskd
  • Like 1

+DConnell    5,036
14 hours ago, ACTIONpack said:

I have been an iPhone user for a year now. I use to me a Windows Mobile user but I know Microsoft will end the platform so I which to iPhone 7. I can't seem to justify to upgrade to the 8 because the design looks outdated. I was thinking about getting the X but the cut out screen is not pleasing but would get that over the 8 any day. I was thinking about which to Galaxy S8 because it's a beautiful phone but would need to switch to Android and all the apps I have under the IOS seem a lot of work and money.

Should I get the iphone X or S8 or wait for Xs or X1 next year?

Does your iPhone 7 still work well? I see no reason to upgrade simply for its own sake. Unless your old device is having issues or there are features the new ones have that are must-haves, I'd wait.

• Like 1

ACTIONpack    383
29 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Does your iPhone 7 still work well? I see no reason to upgrade simply for its own sake. Unless your old device is having issues or there are features the new ones have that are must-haves, I'd wait.

It works fine. I'm not upgrade for its own sake. I find the heavy bezel design outdated which is why I'm not going to iPhone 8.

Astra.Xtreme    2,135

Seems to me that you need to figure out what you value more.  Form or function?

Not liking the iPhones because they have big bezels seems a bit childish, but to each their own.

Or maybe you're just being drawn in by the newest shiny things.  And that's fine, but are you gaining enough to justify the cost?

All I can say is that if you liked the polish and fluidity of iOS and enjoyed speedy and prolonged updates, you can kiss those days goodbye with Android.  All that at the expense of a phone with smaller bezels...

• Like 2

ACTIONpack    383
1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Seems to me that you need to figure out what you value more.  Form or function?

Not liking the iPhones because they have big bezels seems a bit childish, but to each their own.

Or maybe you're just being drawn in by the newest shiny things.  And that's fine, but are you gaining enough to justify the cost?

All I can say is that if you liked the polish and fluidity of iOS and enjoyed speedy and prolonged updates, you can kiss those days goodbye with Android.  All that at the expense of a phone with smaller bezels...

Childish? Then why ever upgrade anything if it works fine. You can say about upgrading from ps3 to ps4 for better graphics is childish. Device design  is what made Samsung Galaxy S line the most popular android phone.

Astra.Xtreme    2,135
3 minutes ago, ACTIONpack said:

Childish? Then why ever upgrade anything if it works fine. You can say about upgrading from ps3 to ps4 for better graphics is childish. Device design  is what made Samsung Galaxy S line the most popular android phone.

I don't think you quite understood the "form vs function" comment.

• Like 1

ACTIONpack    383

No I do but they are interchangeable.

Astra.Xtreme    2,135
1 hour ago, ACTIONpack said:

No I do but they are interchangeable.

Um no?  Your analogy of a PS3 vs PS4 is completely invalid.  Again form vs function.  Better graphics is a better function...  Two different concepts.

And Samsung became popular well before they made "nice" looking devices with small bezels.  They became popular back when all their phones looked the same for years.

If you're going to get a phone solely because of the looks, at least understand what you're in for function-wise.

• Like 1

HawkMan    5,164
7 hours ago, ACTIONpack said:

It works fine. I'm not upgrade for its own sake. I find the heavy bezel design outdated which is why I'm not going to iPhone 8.

Heavy bezel ? one iphone 7 design ?

super thin bezels looks nice and all. But they're a usability nightmare, even if they have good software for palm detection to avoid touch being messed up. you're still either going to have palms and probably fingers covering part of the sides or have a really weird and bad grip. 

• Like 1

dragontology    349

I've had three Android flagships from Motorola (Electrify), Samsung (Galaxy S3), and HTC (One M8) before my first iPhone (128GB 6s). Every Android flagship I've owned plus my wife's current one (Motorola Droid Turbo 2) goes to lag city inside a year, breaks down there, and never leaves. It can usually be sorted with a factory reset, but it comes back a whole lot sooner than a year. I'm not trying to crap on Android; fandroids assure me every time that I just picked the wrong one and I should have gotten X instead of Y. And yet when I got the iPhone, all the iSheep (to be fair and use the same pejorative term) agreed I bought the right iPhone. The trick is, there is no right Android phone. They all have compromises. Apple makes the best phone they can, except this year where they basically reissued the 7 but with a glass back and wireless charging on deck, and a better SoC. I mean, the iPhone 8 is legit, but it's not a viable update, at least in my opinion, for me with my 6s, let alone a 7.

The iPhone X is a beast and a half, but I'd give it a year. One, to see if Apple even continues it. Next year do we get the 9 and it's business as usual, or is that it for numbered iPhones and next year it's just the X2, or the 2018 iPhone X? Or maybe the X was a one-off and next year we get the 9, home button and all, and maybe the X doesn't get the full 5 years of updates, and becomes the bastard stepchild? We. Don't. Know. If you're keen on getting a new phone every year, go for it. It is as the presenter said (Tim or the other guy, Craig), the most important iPhone update since the very first one. No BS there. I mean, if you're just gonna drop it in the bin and get something new this time next year, why not? Me, I can't afford to do that, and I'm planning on carrying my 6s until this time in 2019, when it sees its last iOS update. Then I'll be looking at the iPhone and whatever the Nexus is called that year (might be Pixel, might be Chromephone or something else). If I had a 7, I'd be looking at 2020 for my next phone... but I'm not you.

As far as Android goes, Samsung is the king of the hill for a reason. They started out making iPhone knockoffs (this was proven in court, but that's another story) and for years their business was basically providing an alternative to Apple. I didn't think much of them (even when I had my S3, which was alright for a while) until this year with the S8. But it's one step forward, letting you use it right-handed by putting the back button on the left like the other major OEMs; and two steps back (the Bixby button right under volume down not being able to be used for anything else, and the fingerprint reader literally right next to the camera. Note 8 "fixes" that by putting the flash between the fingerprint reader and the two camera lenses, and the S-Pen is a super cool feature that no other Android phone has, but both Note 8s I tried at Best Buy (Sprint's and Verizon's) lagged something fierce, and though the S-Pen was cool and the screen looked nice, the phone didn't really impress me, and it's only $30 less than the 64GB iPhone X.

I'd tell you to stay put, but something tells me you're not gonna. Living that lifestyle, I wouldn't worry about the cost of a few apps. Besides, when you come back to iPhone next year, you'll still own them. Just like when you go back to Android yet again, you will still own the apps you bought on that platform. The S8 is probably a good choice if you have your eye on Samsung. If you just think you might want something different, you could grab an LG G6 or HTC U11. Both are highly rated, and both have had boot loop issues. Only, HTC has greased some palms and kept their boot loop issues out of the press. LG took it in stride and has probably used their money to correct it in R&D. Maybe, I don't know. I'd use LG over HTC at this point, and Google's using both of them to make the Pixel 2, and Motorola is breaking update promises. Honestly Android looks like crap this year, but the S8 is probably a safe bet, or the S8+, depending on the size you like. Especially if you're gonna trade up in a year anyway.

HawkMan    5,164

Several android chipsets have a problem where they start to lag after use, sometimes very quickly. It's a weird issue and it's mostly down to a combination of the SoC design and some other factors. The samsung US phones suffer form it, while some of the other who use the other chipset doesn't. 

shockz    3,041
1 hour ago, dragontology said:

The iPhone X is a beast and a half, but I'd give it a year. One, to see if Apple even continues it. Next year do we get the 9 and it's business as usual, or is that it for numbered iPhones and next year it's just the X2, or the 2018 iPhone X?

The iPhone X is pronounced iPhone 10. I doubt we'll see a 9... I feel this was done for a few reasons... 10 year anniversary, with the 8 being the lower range phone. They probably also don't want to fall behind Samsung with Galaxy model numbers. Whatever comes after the X and 8, it won't be called a 9.  Looks like Microsoft isn't the only ones who like to skip 9 lol.

dragontology    349
7 minutes ago, shockz said:

The iPhone X is pronounced iPhone 10. [snip]

I know. So is the X in OS X, and despite Apple's insistence that everyone call it "oh ess ten," nobody did, even hardcore Apple guys. It's "oh ess ecks" and geeks have a tendency to ignore stupid afterthoughts, like the GIF guy who said it's supposed to be pronounced jiff, or JK Rowling trying to say Dumbledore is gay now. Or, he was. Like, that's nice that you think that, the rest of us are still saying "oh ess ecks," "gif," and going on not caring who Albus Dumbledore was attracted to when his plumbing still worked (but yay for inclusion).

Of course, it didn't help that Apple called updates to OS X "OS X 10.2," OS X 10.3," and so on and so forth. Clearly separating the X ("ecks") and the 10 ("ten"). No one said "oh ess ten, ten dot too," they said "oh ess ecks, ten dot too." Except people at Apple, who probably would have been reprimanded for saying it wrong. Especially under Steve Jobs. Tim's more likely to let it go... I assume. He looks like a chill dude, about 75% of the time. Not sure if I'd want to have a beer or cup of coffee with him, but I'm sure he'd talk for half an hour on the origin of whatever beverage and not let me get a word in edgewise about my opinions on the new iPhone (for that, I'd be more interested in talking to Jony anyway — definitely a beer guy, being English).

Getting back on track, I think the 8 was named not entirely not wanting to fall behind Samsung, but also because the S release cycle is dumb. Same hardware, different internals... why? Yeah, even us Android guys knew the smart money was on the S releases. 4s, 5s, and 6s were all better than their non-S counterparts. 4s had Siri and dual core, 5s had touch ID and 64-bit, and 6s had 2GB RAM and 3D Touch. But it made the numerical releases skip years. Apple doesn't want skip years. And now they're on the same number (8) with their biggest competitor. Galaxy S8, iPhone 8, Note 8, all in the same year, and the following calendar year (2018) ends in an 8, so the phones feel current (even if in name only) for the whole next year). That all makes sense, but it doesn't make much sense for the 10 (X).

Anyway, it's just amusing watching them name themselves into a corner. We all thought Google wouldn't make a Nexus 6 because that's a Blade Runner thing, but they made a Nexus 6 and then a Nexus 6P and no one batted an eye. And then stopped there with Nexus, which we all wondered what was next because Nexus 7 was a tablet. Nexus 9 is also a tablet, so Nexus 8 is available and might be a good name for this year's Pixel phones (to keep with the 8 trend and the beloved Nexus name) but I'm pretty sure Pixel 2 is a lock.

Daedroth    436

So the only reason you are upgrading is due to the aesthetics?

If that's the case, you need to decide whether you want to stick with iOS or move to Android. As you mentioned, you would need to re-purchase apps for Android and possibly find alternatives if one of the apps is iOS only. Plus you'd have to get used to the change in OS, as they work very differently.

• Like 1

anthdci    156

Keep your 7 for another year. The idea of getting a new phone each year is outdated unless you have money to burn.

• Like 1

+DConnell    5,036

Here's a thought. If you're considering upgrading purely for aesthetics, why not simply get a cool phone case? Most people use a case anyway, and once it's on you don't really see the phone so its looks don't matter much.

When I got my iPhone, they put the Lifeproof case on it at the store, so I've literally never seen the phone itself since I bought it a year and a half ago. I couldn't even tell you what color I chose - I wasn't too concerned with color, and I'm used to the black case.

mkol    72

don't upgrade for the sake of it. I am still happy with my 6s

• Like 1

Mockingbird    2,072

No point in upgrading if you already have the iPhone 7.