Mountain rescue plea after man's Snowdon climb in pants (underwear)

_97851026_snowdonboy3.jpg

Image: NATHAN FRENCH

People climbing Snowdon are being urged to wear appropriate clothing after a man who reached the summit in just his pants developed hypothermia.

Nathan French, 19, took to the highest peak in England and Wales in his Superman underwear to raise money for charity.

But a paramedic was called to meet the Liverpool student after his descent.

Phil Benbow, of North Wales Mountain Rescue Association, said they were seeing more unprepared visitors.

Mr French, of Halewood, Merseyside, decided to take on the challenge to raise money for a dementia charity after his grandmother developed the condition.

He said he became unwell at the summit after completing the 1,085m (3,559ft) climb on 9 September and returned to the bottom on the Snowdon Mountain Railway.

"I keep fit and I am healthy but I was taken by surprise by how cold I got," he said.

Mr French was raising money for charity

"I was shaking uncontrollably and they covered me in tin foil.

"On the train down I started to feel really sick and I started going deaf and my eyesight started going funny. I started getting really emotional so my dad, who was with me, decided to call an ambulance.

"The paramedic who met me checked me over and said I was showing early signs of hypothermia."

The Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed it responded to the call

Full article @ BBC  

Well, don't they teach kids at school that the higher you go the colder it gets?