Sign in to follow this  

The NYT’s Yellow Journalism on Russia

+ctebah    2,746

Reading The New York Times these days is like getting a daily dose of the “Two Minutes Hate” as envisioned in George Orwell’s 1984, except applied to America’s new/old enemy Russia. Even routine international behavior, such as Russia using fictitious names for potential adversaries during a military drill, is transformed into something weird and evil.

In the snide and alarmist style that the Times now always applies to Russia, reporter Andrew Higgins wrote – referring to a fictitious war-game “enemy” – “The country does not exist, so it has neither an army nor any real citizens, though it has acquired a feisty following of would-be patriots online. Starting on Thursday, however, the fictional state, Veishnoriya, a distillation of the Kremlin’s darkest fears about the West, becomes the target of the combined military might of Russia and its ally Belarus.”

This snarky front-page story in Thursday’s print editions also played into the Times’ larger narrative about Russia as a disseminator of “fake news.” You see the Russkies are even inventing “fictional” enemies to bully. Hah-hah-hah! The article was entitled, “Russia’s War Games With Fake Enemies Cause Real Alarm.”

Of course, the U.S. and its allies also conduct war games against fictitious enemies, but you wouldn’t know that from reading the Times. For instance, U.S. war gamesin 2015 substituted five made-up states – Ariana, Atropia, Donovia, Gorgas and Limaria – for nations near the Caucasus mountains along the borders of Russia and Iran.

In earlier war games, the U.S. used both fictitious names and colors in place of actual countries. For instance, in 1981, the Reagan administration conducted “Ocean Venture” with that war-game scenario focused on a group of islands called “Amber and the Amberdines,” obvious stand-ins for Grenada and the Grenadines, with “Orange” used to represent Cuba.

In those cases, the maneuvers by the powerful U.S. military were clearly intended to intimidate far weaker countries. Yet, the U.S. mainstream media did not treat those war rehearsals for what they were, implicit aggression, but rather mocked protests from the obvious targets as paranoia since we all know the U.S. would never violate international law and invade some weak country! (As it turned out, Ocean Venture ’81 was a dress rehearsal for the actual U.S. invasion of Grenada in 1983.)

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/09/15/the-nyts-yellow-journalism-on-russia/

A very good read on Western Medias obsession with Russia.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

shockz    2,944

"ConsortiumNews"

+ctebah    2,746
5 minutes ago, shockz said:

"ConsortiumNews"

I know, it's much easier to type that than to read the actual article. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

shockz    2,944
6 minutes ago, ctebah said:

I know, it's much easier to type that than to read the actual article. :rolleyes:

A wordpress blog trying to act as a professional news source... I might as well be watching alt-right youtube videos. Pass.

• Like 2

+ctebah    2,746
1 minute ago, shockz said:

A wordpress blog trying to act as a professional news source... I might as well be watching alt-right youtube videos.

What you do with your time is up to you.  So far I don't see you showing anything that disproves the article, only attacking the source. 

Seeing as how the source was established Robert Parry, I'd say it hold much more value than your words.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

shockz    2,944
1 minute ago, ctebah said:

only attacking the source. 

Ironic. lol

• Haha 3