The Witcher 3 GOTY, freezing randomly

jnelsoninjax    8,504

I have been playing the Witcher 3 for a few weeks now and 2 days ago it just started to randomly freeze, it would freeze for over a minute at that time, and now it randomly freezes for a few seconds or so. The game is installed on an SSD and I have verified that the drive is fine, and it is only this game that is having the issues. I have monitored the RAM load as well as CPU load/temps and everything is well within tolerance. My system is more than sufficient to run this game. AMD FX 8370 running at 4.3GHZ 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080. I am wondering what I should do about this and/or what the root cause is. Does anybody have any suggestions?

+Danielx64    505

Is there any other game that you are playing that giving this issue?

jnelsoninjax    8,504
1 hour ago, Danielx64 said:

Is there any other game that you are playing that giving this issue?

Not that I have noticed.

trag3dy    3,276

Maybe video card drivers? Either rolling back if you recently updated or updating with a fresh install if you haven't in a while. That's where I'd start.

jnelsoninjax    8,504
18 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Maybe video card drivers? Either rolling back if you recently updated or updating with a fresh install if you haven't in a while. That's where I'd start.

Just updated the drivers yesterday, the issue was still happening before the updated drivers.

jnelsoninjax    8,504

It seems to be only happening when playing the Blood and Wine DLC and it seems to be most prevalent when it goes to save (automatically or quick save) but the game is installed on SSD and according to the Samsung software the drive is fine and its firmware is up to date. I purchased this game from GOG, I am not sure how to check for any updates. Does anybody know if there have been updates?

Ulpian    17

Use OCCT with "Power Supply" test and check for errors.

jnelsoninjax    8,504
On 9/28/2017 at 3:37 PM, Ulpian said:

Use OCCT with "Power Supply" test and check for errors.

No. The PSU is not the issue, this system has had plenty of time for burn in, I do not need to use a overclocker tool to check something that I know is not bad. I have confirmed that the issue only happens when I am in the Blood and Wine areas, it does not happen anywhere else in the game.

Ulpian    17
9 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

No. The PSU is not the issue, this system has had plenty of time for burn in, I do not need to use a overclocker tool to check something that I know is not bad. I have confirmed that the issue only happens when I am in the Blood and Wine areas, it does not happen anywhere else in the game.

Power Supply is only a name, disregard it. Just run it and it will test both CPU and GPU in the same time.

trag3dy    3,276
Posted (edited)
On 9/28/2017 at 0:35 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

It seems to be only happening when playing the Blood and Wine DLC and it seems to be most prevalent when it goes to save (automatically or quick save) but the game is installed on SSD and according to the Samsung software the drive is fine and its firmware is up to date. I purchased this game from GOG, I am not sure how to check for any updates. Does anybody know if there have been updates?

Click on the game on the left side of GoG, then next to the play button there should be another drop down menu labeled more where you can find all the patches released for the game. In that menu you should see something like backup and goodies. You can also verify and repair from the same menu.