Baby left by the side of the road with $5,500 and a cell phone

Please tell me that’s not what we think it is,” Alexis Harrison said to herself as she moved closer to the baby carrier on the side of Interstate 40.

But it was. The months-old baby boy was in remarkably good health, according to KOCO News.

Harrison was on a trip with a church youth group headed from an Oklahoma City amusement park back home to Ada, Okla., when Roger Prater, the driver of the group’s van, saw two tiny feet kicking from the carrier on the side of the highway.

“I’m driving back and we’re on 40 headed towards Shawnee and... I saw something out of the corner of my eye on the highway, and I was like, ‘That looks like a baby,” Prater told The Oklahoman.

They would later find out from police that the boy, no more than five months old, had most likely been sitting there just 30 minutes or less. It was 91 degrees Saturday near Oklahoma City, and the baby was not sweating.

Authorities found more than $5,500 in cash, a birth certificate and a cell phone tucked into the baby carrier. Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers were able to use those to track down the boy’s mother through relatives in Texas.

On Monday, it was reported that the mother had been located and taken to a hospital for evaluation. Late Tuesday afternoon, though, The Oklahoman reported that charges against the mother were not expected in the case.

“More than likely, they’re not going to file charges,” Capt. Bo Mathews, an Oklahoma City Police Department spokesman, told the newspaper. He reportedly declined to say why, and the mother’s identity has not yet been released.

Now, calls are flooding into Oklahoma’s Department of Human Services, as the baby boy remains in state custody. People want to adopt the little guy.

“We’ve received calls today and emails from people in Oklahoma and all over the country who want to adopt this baby,” Sheree Powell, who works for the DHS, told KOCO News. “We’re hoping to direct families today on how to find information on becoming a foster parent. Hopefully people’s passion will continue and they will follow through with that.”

Source

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

If it was me, it would be the baby would be found with just the cellphone.

True that...

8 hours ago, techbeck said:

Idios.  There are places, safe places, to drop off kids if you do not want them no questions asked.  Like Fire Stations.   Hope they prosecute the woman.

They are saying most likely not going to prosecute, it sounds like she had/has postpartum depression. 

30 minutes ago, techbeck said:

So what. Help is available. 

I am not saying what she did was right, I am merely stating the reason that they most likely are not going to charge her.

6 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I guess you've never known anyone with postpartum depression.

Actually, I have.   Doesn't make what she did right or excusable.  Very least she should be mandated to take therapy or seek help for what she did.  If the baby would have died, sure the charges would have been different.

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Actually, I have.   Doesn't make what she did right or excusable.  Very least she should be mandated to take therapy or seek help for what she did.  If the baby would have died, sure the charges would have been different.

Sure, but the mother needs help not imprisonment. 

23 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Sure, but the mother needs help not imprisonment. 

Not what I said.  Said she should be prosecuted.   She should go to court, some kind of charges should be filed, and court should order her to seek help.   She obviously has issues seeking help on her own.

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Not what I said.  Said she should be prosecuted.   She should go to court, some kind of charges should be filed, and court should order her to seek help.   She obviously has issues seeking help on her own.

Do you prosecute someone because they're sick and likely not responsible for their actions?  No, you give them the help they need to get better, even if they don't want it.

Or rather, civilised societies with good social care systems do. America just tosses you in the garbage... Or at least, that's what it seems like anyway.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Do you prosecute someone because they're sick and likely not responsible for their actions? 

This happens all the time and not just in the US.  If people do not seek help or endangers the lives of other person, sometimes a push is needed.   If the baby died, what then?

The OP link no longers and appears the article was a little off.....

http://kfor.com/2017/09/28/new-details-released-on-infant-left-on-side-of-oklahoma-interstate/

No saying of post partum depression and the baby did not have any papers on them.  Investigation still ongoing.  Mother was found walking on i40 the same evening.

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

This happens all the time and not just in the US.  If people do not seek help or endangers the lives of other person, sometimes a push is needed.   If the baby died, what then?

The OP link no longers and appears the article was a little off.....

http://kfor.com/2017/09/28/new-details-released-on-infant-left-on-side-of-oklahoma-interstate/

No saying of post partum depression and the baby did not have any papers on them.  Investigation still ongoing.  Mother was found walking on i40 the same evening.

OK, the OP is located http://www.kansas.com/latest-news/article175617271.html somehow the last letter got chopped off. and in the original article it does not mention the mother being found walking, but that is really not relevant. Same goes for them not mentioning postpartum depression, but it seems a logical conclusion to draw. My wife suffered from postpartum depression about a month after our daughter was born, and I saw it first hand how she was affected by it, so it is not hard for me to see that the mother in question here is suffering from the same thing. 

16 hours ago, xendrome said:

Nokia WIndows Phone? Maybe the $5500 was to entice someone to take both of the trouble makers (baby and phone)

Ewwwwwwwww!!!! I'd take the cash, drop off the kid with the authorities, and place the phone in the traffic lane face down.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:10 PM, J. X. Maxwell said:

If it was me, it would be the baby would be found with just the cellphone.

So you'd cruelly dump a baby?!? :o Or you'd take the money and still leave it there?