CPU doesn't cool down

Hi,

today I noticed that my CPU gets hotter and hotter and doesn't make it past the POST. It Shows CPU FAN failure. Looking inside the case the fans of the Corsair H115i are turning and after a few seconds spin up to full power. Yet in the MB tem sensors I see that the CPU Temperature increases almost 2C' a second, so I think it must be something with the cooling.

I took the waterblock off the CPU and am waiting for it to cool down, so that I can clean it up, re-apply thermal paste and put it back on. I noticed one of the water tubes coming from the block was hot.

Would you know of a way to test the Watercooling? I mean, is there a test I can do to check if the water is flowing through it? (My gut tells me it is something to do with that)

Do you have any other ideas what this could be? CPU that broke down?

My PC is in my signature, apart for the Noctua, which is outdated. I'll update it when I can.

There could be something wrong with that pump. In that, it isn't moving the water. I don't know how to check that unless you rip the thing open. I'd get that H115i RMA'd pronto. There's definitely something wrong here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feared that... I thought Corsair was more reliable than that, maybe I just had back luck. That kit I only got in January this year.

I'll see about getting back to Corsair tomorrow. I will probably get something else, as RMA will probably take days, if not weeks, and I can't be without the PC that long. 

Many thanks for your help!! 

24 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

There could be something wrong with that pump. In that, it isn't moving the water. I don't know how to check that unless you rip the thing open. I'd get that H115i RMA'd pronto. There's definitely something wrong here.

I agree, it sounds like punp failure. 

21 minutes ago, Odom said:

I feared that... I thought Corsair was more reliable than that, maybe I just had back luck. That kit I only got in January this year.

I'll see about getting back to Corsair tomorrow. I will probably get something else, as RMA will probably take days, if not weeks, and I can't be without the PC that long. 

Many thanks for your help!! 

anything can fail, it's just the luck of the draw sometimes :/

do you have the stock air cooler you can throw back on while you wait for the RMA process?

I don't think I bought the CPU with the stock cooler, but with any luck I might still have the old Noctua from the old case. I have a Be Quiet Dark Pro 800 case, sig is outdated, which I think is as big, or bigger, then the old CM 690.

if you plug the cooler into power can u hear or feel the pump working?

You should hear it slightly? with it off the system you can disconnect the fans and u should feel the pump working away if you hold onto the assembly. Or another way is to get a screwdriver hold tip against the assembly (on side of the radiator is a good spot) and put handle to your ear, you should feel/hear the pump spinning. with fans disconnected everything else except the coolant pump will be silent. Thats an old mech engineers trick for listening out for damaged bearings in shafts ;) I do that a lot when assessing DC fans.

hot liquid in a liquid AIO affecting one pipe is one thing, failing(failed) pump. The hot pipe will be the return pipe to radiator from CPU block, the heat emanating down the return from a frankly roasting CPU, not an issue as it has safety cut out at critical temp. When an AIO is doing its job, the pipes and rad should be cool to the touch.

its an RMA job to corsair.

I always have my Fan Fail alarms set On in the BIOS for where my waterpump and fans are plugged in, if the pump dies I'll get a loud annoying buzzer going off to alert me, so you might want to look into that for your new pump, your motherboard manual will help. I have the H80i which also has a USB data link for the LINK software which I use to monitor pump speeds and coolant temps.

The pumps are so quiet you can barely hear them if they're set to Quiet in LINK. The bearings are usually the first to go, or a motor coil going open circuit. If your fan fail BIOS setting is off the first you'll notice is your CPU throttling, and then the whole machine shutting down completely.

EDIT: If you do enable the fan fail setting, you'll need to make sure that A) Your motherboard has a built in speaker, or B) That you have one plugged in to the speaker header on your motherboard. They usually come with PC cases, and look like this:

sku_311781_1.jpg

I did the trick with the screwdriver and couldn't hear a thing. I'll call the store this morning and ask them how long it would take, but I bet I'll get the usual "we have to return it to the manufacturer, run tests,..." and it is going to take a few weeks. In that case I'll just buy another solution and sell the Corsair one when I get it back.

I didn't get an audible warning, but during POST I got the message of the CPU FAN Failure. Checking the temps through the mobo I can see the temps rising about 2'C every second, until eventually the PC would have shut down, though I didn't let it come to that.

The Corsair Link software, in my opinion, out of the box, is crap. The fan curves are all wrongly configured. The Quiet mode makes it sound like an A380 on takeoff. Maybe the software has other presets for the other Corsair Hydro series, but dor this one they are incorrect (you can also Google for it and find lots of references). After I adjusted it manually it was fine, though.

This was my first attempt at watercooling... The Be Quiet Silent Loop seems to be very quiet, I think I'll try that one.  Would you have any suggestions, for AIO kits? I don't overclock my PC, I just wanted something that is quiet.

PS: I don't have the backplate of my old Noctua, so I can't put that one back in.

So I got myself a BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 cooler whilst I'm waiting on the Corsair to be fixed/replaced. Funny thing, this 55€ cooler is quite a bit quieter than the Corsair. I can't hear a thing when turning on my PC, even playing games  :-)

On 9/29/2017 at 7:44 AM, Odom said:

I did the trick with the screwdriver and couldn't hear a thing. I'll call the store this morning and ask them how long it would take, but I bet I'll get the usual "we have to return it to the manufacturer, run tests,..." and it is going to take a few weeks. In that case I'll just buy another solution and sell the Corsair one when I get it back.

I didn't get an audible warning, but during POST I got the message of the CPU FAN Failure. Checking the temps through the mobo I can see the temps rising about 2'C every second, until eventually the PC would have shut down, though I didn't let it come to that.

The Corsair Link software, in my opinion, out of the box, is crap. The fan curves are all wrongly configured. The Quiet mode makes it sound like an A380 on takeoff. Maybe the software has other presets for the other Corsair Hydro series, but dor this one they are incorrect (you can also Google for it and find lots of references). After I adjusted it manually it was fine, though.

This was my first attempt at watercooling... The Be Quiet Silent Loop seems to be very quiet, I think I'll try that one.  Would you have any suggestions, for AIO kits? I don't overclock my PC, I just wanted something that is quiet.

PS: I don't have the backplate of my old Noctua, so I can't put that one back in.

I dont use corsair link to control my AIO radiator fans, ive fitted them to the two CPU fan headers on my ROG mobo, so all connected coolers are suing PWM. Much quieter.