Internet speed 500/50.. Can't wait ;)

So fiber coming to chicago, and multiple friends moving to it.. And the cost of my 75/10 connection has been pissing me off. Comcast and their bundle of tv to get cheaper cost for the faster internet then raising prices - all the BS addons 7$ for broadcast tv.  I don't even use since have directv, etc.

Looked at bill and was paying 99 a month for the 75/10 - so finally got fed up when buddies getting gig for half that.. So looking around found 500/50 (no gig love for schaumburg) for $60.. To be installed on wed.. After its up and running I will cancel my comcast ;)

Sucky part is needed new modem to handle that speed, and my pfsense VM just can not do 500 on the hardware its running on.  So either build new vm host that could do it (wife would not like that budget hit)  Or move to hardware for pfsense - not a fan of the china boxes even though prices are attractive.. Have been drooling over the new pfsense/netgate sg3100 but it doesn't even start shipping until mid oct..

So to get something quick that could handle the 500 I went with the unifi usg.. I would of went with the new edge router 4 that is in the beta store but sold out.. And am kind of curious to using the usg with dpi info, and new radius and mab support, etc.  The plan is to go back to pfsense once sg3100 is available and can work the 350 through the budget committee without much grief.. Once she gets her new car in Nov, I will prob have more leverage for toys ;) heheeh

Hope to post up speed test of the new connection sometime wed afternoon I would hope..

I want it! I am so ready to get rid of Comcast, but our only other choice is AT&T, who's speed+price does not come close to Comcast. Google fiber is supposedly coming to this area and I know that they have run fiber already, but the website still says potential. Oh well, have fun with your new speeds!

yeah att doesn't have the fiber in the area either - other than chicago proper some spots.  Their other offerings do not match up to comcast, this is via wowway.

What I have heard about google fiber, is at best on hold.  So wouldn't hold your breath.. I was really hoping for google fiber as well.

The SG3100 looks very nice but are you sure you are going to get the right level of performance out of an ARM processor?

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

Sucky part is needed new modem to handle that speed, and my pfsense VM just can not do 500 on the hardware its running on.  So either build new vm host that could do it (wife would not like that budget hit)  Or move to hardware for pfsense - not a fan of the china boxes even though prices are attractive.. Have been drooling over the new pfsense/netgate sg3100 but it doesn't even start shipping until mid oct..

Watch out even on modern hardware you'll be lucky to get the most out of it and the more security you add on the slower it gets (the box you specified can only do 100mb/s with the IPS enabled)

Ive 1000/100 going through a 5 node TMG cluster hosted on two different dl165 g7 servers and even then I only get 450mb/s throughput (Per Node/pc downloading) so only when multiple connections are pulling out of the different vms can it max the connection out.

The alternative is to just setup a download server in the DMZ.

So how do you know what the sg3100 can do?  It hasn't even shipped yet?

What I have read is will be able to do gig, I don't have any plans on running IPS for my home connection...  Sure vpn performance is lower..

18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So how do you know what the sg3100 can do?  It hasn't even shipped yet?

Doh I googled the number http://www.zones.com/site/product/index.html?id=104865785 still that's a 6K box just be careful and check the throughput with all the security you need turned on not just a basic firewall.

Edited by TPreston

That is not what I am talking about... 

https://store.netgate.com/SG-3100.aspx

performance.thumb.png.a4d4c1f76610f599748633836327b1ea.png

I for sure will be posting speed test numbers with just my pc directly connected to the modem, then with the unifi usg and then whenever I get the pfsense/netgate hardware post with that, etc.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

I for sure will be posting speed test numbers with just my pc directly connected to the modem, then with the unifi usg and then whenever I get the pfsense/netgate hardware post with that, etc.

Please do. I, for one, would really appreciate it.

@Fahim S.

You got it for sure.. For reference.. I did some speed test of my current comcast connection.  First 1 and 2 are with shaping enabled.  fq_codel setup on pfsense.. Notice the bufferbloat gets a A rating on dslreports test.  I then turned off the shaping and did the tests again..

refspeedtest.thumb.png.628b1eeecf95d8b4baa58e6d7bd928e7.png

You can see for sure the tests without the shaping on... Look at laltency and packet loss to wan gateway during the times I did speedtests without the shaping.  And before then when I did it with shaping.

wanlatency.thumb.png.abc0e1f5a6324490c83bbcc21f9b6c5f.png

Just hooked up.. Have not got new router setup yet.. This is just off my pc direct to modem..

newinternet.thumb.png.a4e8bb2c70002f7255ce3cfb73de2bb1.png

Router showed up few minutes ago.. And will connect to my VM router to see what it can do.  More results to come.

Well my VM couldn't do more than 120ish...  But I have the USG up and running now..

And its doing the full speed of the connection..  Taking a bit to convert my network over to it..

Can't wait til my sg-4860 gets here in Nov ;)  Yeah figured go big or go home... hehehe

Lucky. My internet plan got downgraded when I moved to 25/5. Fortunately, it's free! Otherwise, I'd have to shell out $60/mo. just for internet. Seriously, screw Time Warner (aka Spectrum now)

Well when my pfsense sg-4860 gets here I will be selling it ;)  Give you a good price even if only like a month old by then.

So go 1 of my wifi vlans up and running.. Not too shabby ;)

wifi-fromipad.thumb.png.1ac3c8e29fa0d4b4ee00d2d2b551caca.png

Wish I had faster wifi devices.. Its only 2 streams and its RX phy is showing a bit low.. Have to test it from other places in the house where its RX phy is higher..

Yeah its finally nice to be able to take advantage of the wifi speeds the AP and Clients can do ;)  Vs being limited by the internet speed..

Yeah I wish they had fiber here in Schaumburg, best available is wow..  Is that wired or wireless?  Fiber shouldn't you be closer to gig/gig?  Or is that the plan your on.. Love the symmetrical speed, people really don't under how much the upload is useful!!

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah I wish they had fiber here in Schaumburg, best available is wow..  Is that wired or wireless?  Fiber shouldn't you be closer to gig/gig?  Or is that the plan your on.. Love the symmetrical speed, people really don't under how much the upload is useful!!

That is a wired connection and I got the 300/300 plan.  You can get the GIG/GIG speed but it is like another $60 a month and for me it is not worth it.  I am coming from COMSUCKS and a 75/15 so I am perfectly happy with my 300/300.  The upload speed is the best thing about this fiber so far.....PLEX works so much better.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Well when my pfsense sg-4860 gets here I will be selling it ;)  Give you a good price even if only like a month old by then.

That'd be an awesome box.  My pfSense SG-2220 is the best purchase I have ever made.  It's rock solid.  The 4860 is a higher powered version of the same and I think you'll be very happy with it.

2 hours ago, Brian F. said:

That is a wired connection and I got the 300/300 plan.  You can get the GIG/GIG speed but it is like another $60 a month and for me it is not worth it.  I am coming from COMSUCKS and a 75/15 so I am perfectly happy with my 300/300.  The upload speed is the best thing about this fiber so far.....PLEX works so much better.

Yeah plex rules now, I am on 1000/1000 in the uk which is really rare but totally worth it.