Internet speed 500/50.. Can't wait ;)

24 minutes ago, StrikedOut said:

How on earth do you have gig/gig in the UK??

Probably on Hyperoptic and lucky enough to be in an area it serves.  Not jealous, much!

6 hours ago, StrikedOut said:

How on earth do you have gig/gig in the UK??

4 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

Probably on Hyperoptic and lucky enough to be in an area it serves.  Not jealous, much!

Yeah Hyperoptic ftw.

51 minutes ago, BudMan said:

if you don't mind asking how much does the gig/gig run you in the UK?

£63 per month if you have the phone line, £60 otherwise but I had a sign up deal for 12 months that was 25% off and every referral I get gives me £50 credit for the bill (I have referred quite a few neighbours, they get £50 off too)

Thats inclusive of all tax's as is the norm in the uk.

They also do 100/100 for £38 inc phone and 20/1 for £25 inc phone.

The phone service is VOIP so I can call on my pc as well as using normal phones plugged into their router.

I also pay for a static ip which is £5 extra per month but thats optional.

Those prices are not the usual sign up price though, you normally get a 25% off for 12 months right now as well so its less.

https://hyperoptic.com/

Comparing to BT one of the largest ISP's (but not quite the cheapest) for up to 80/20mb you would pay them £49.99 a month or £35.99 for up to 52/10 both including phone line as you have to have a phone line for standard VDSL.

Virgin the cable company in the uk is £40 for 50/10 (I think 10) £45 for 100/10, £50 for 200/20 and £55 for 300/20 all including phone line but you can get it without a phone line but its not a lot cheaper and thats excluding deals for both.

Edited by ZeroHour

It’s availability is incredibly limited. Mainly large apartment blocks in London.

From what I can tell their business model is based on installing a (possibly more than 1) large aggregation device in the basement, probably with 10 or 100Gbs coming to it and using internal cabling to split off to a number of apartments with some level of overbooking to reduce their own costs. 

Yeah but don't they pay you like $1k a year just for living in AK?  And it use to be more was it not?  Didn't they just recently cap it to 1k? ;)

No the 500/50 is from wow..

http://www.wowway.com/products/internet/north

They do have a gig offering, but its not yet available in my area.. But I did get modem that can do it - so when its available ;)

As to that being pfsense box - nope I wouldn't do it.. Damn China box.. And you still need ram and disk.. So not even all that cheap..

On 10/4/2017 at 7:32 PM, BudMan said:

Can't wait til my sg-4860 gets here in Nov ;)  Yeah figured go big or go home... hehehe

The SG-4860 is a really nice piece of kit, I got one for our office around a year ago now.

We're only an SMB with a 150/12 connection so don't really push it too much, however the 4x OPT interfaces have come in handy already. I certainly feel future proofed with the SG-4860.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with that at home, if I ever outgrow pfSense on an ESXi VM i'd certainly consider another for home use too.

Nice! I might be moving to an area with Fiber as well.

Because I don't know, I'll ask this question.

When downloading let's just say torrents. Does your download speed determine on how many leechers, because I usually get about 2mb/s on my 50mb/s connection.

I don't do torrents directly..  But download speed would be your limit of what you could grab from seeders/peers, sending stuff to a swarm would be limited by your upload.

What I can tell you from testing I have done sofar is that when I download from a box I have in NL, is I see about 32MBytes per second.. I will find something I can download locally vs just speedtest.

edit: ok just grabbed

http://mirror.pnl.gov/releases/17.10/ubuntu-17.10-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso

It peaked out at 67MBps ;)  Not too shabby..

Trying to grab a screenshot of speed - missed the peak.. But here is one showing download at 63MBps

picofdownload.thumb.png.a065ca723a53844885b4285cfeb5797d.png

What I can say sofar is more than happy with this connections performance ;)

• 1 month later...

I do believe my sg-4860 shipped.. Got notification package is to be delivered tmrw from Austin, TX...

I can not wait to get rid of this usg 3p... It is will be up for sale if anyone want it.. It can handle the connection for sure..

6798390409.png

Just needs more work.. The dpi info is kind of slick.. But its clunky to work with compared to pfsense...  Firewall rules are a PITA between segments..  Almost want to take the day off tmrw or work from home so I can fire up the pfsense hardware as soon as it gets dropped off..  But waited this long, another day not that big of an issue..

I will let the usg 3p go to a nice home for $90 plus shipping.. Only 2 months old..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

I do believe my sg-4860 shipped.. Got notification package is to be delivered tmrw from Austin, TX...

I can not wait to get rid of this usg 3p... It is will be up for sale if anyone want it.. It can handle the connection for sure..

6798390409.png

Just needs more work.. The dpi info is kind of slick.. But its clunky to work with compared to pfsense...  Firewall rules are a PITA between segments..  Almost want to take the day off tmrw or work from home so I can fire up the pfsense hardware as soon as it gets dropped off..  But waited this long, another day not that big of an issue..

I will let the usg 3p go to a nice home for $90 plus shipping.. Only 2 months old..

Did you switch just because of software? 

I have been running pfsense for years on VM.  I got new internet 500/50 - I was pretty sure the vm would not be able to handle it..  Since it wasn't even doing 500 between vlans not natting, etc.  I needed something quick that I knew could handle the speed.  So the usg 3p was like 112$ on amazon and delivered in 2 days with prime.  I was right the vm running on old HP N40L via esxi could only do about 120 down... While the usg does the full 500mbps pipe without issue..

And while it can do speed.. Its lacking in so much its not even in the same ballpark.  The dhcp server is a joke from feature standpoint, it did not support ipv6 until just recent. And setting up a HE tunnel is a PITA has to be done at the cli.. And if you do anything in the controller that provisions the usg - then you have to redo anything you had done via cli on the thing.  Openvpn server again has to be done at cli level, and anything you do in controller overwrites it.  Shoot to do a simple port forward with locking down to multiple source blocks you have to create multiple entries vs a simple alias.

There really isn't any sort of firewall log.. You have to syslog them off.. I could go on an on and on with the difference between running a mature distro designed to be a firewall/router in an enterprise and the usg 3p or even the pro version.. When it comes to ease of doing something.  If you have a simple network, a few firewall rules and don't really have need for a log of what is going on that you can check with a gui.. So you want a soho router with no bells and whistles but can handle speed and do not get me wrong is maturing very quickly.. And the price point of their devices is good to be sure.. 

Its like putting openwrt on your soho router before there was any gui, where you can get way more features but at cost of having to do a huge amount of configuration manipulation via scripts, etc.  Then they added the gui but the gui couldn't do this or that, etc..  Chris from pfsense fame (he moved to unifi a year or 2.. maybe 3 years.. .time flies) just recently highlighted some of the missing features in unifi in a thread here.  Can not seem to link to specific post put its on that page..

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-Pro-vs-pfSense/td-p/1472267/page/3

The list I have of reasons I've heard that we haven't already addressed in the past year: 

Policy routing UI - for multi-WAN, VPN client routing control, etc. 

• IPsec VPN configurability - missing ability to configure some parameters.
  • DNS Forwarder configurability - domain overrides, host overrides
  • NAT configuration UI
  • High Availability
  • Limiters - simple way to apply bandwidth limits to hosts and networks. 
  • Real-time throughput graphs
  • Log UI

The DNS forwarder config is actually just the tip of the iceburg.. Pfsense has unbound which is a resolver as the default, with pretty much full configuration in a gui for most of its feature set.  And if you want to do something that is not yet in the gui you can just add it to the custom option box in the gui..  Just like you would in the actual conf file of unbound.  I am a huge dns guy, the nonsense that is what usg does for dns currently... The usg doesn't even point to its own caching dnsmasq instance.. So it does stuff like query ping.ubnt.com every single minute because there is no ttl cache in play on the client..  And if you don't want to resolve and just forward, you could just use the other option in pfsense dnsmasq, etc.

Another big one is the IPS/IDS - with pfsense you can clickity clickity run either Snort or Suricata

Then there are all the other packages.. And not just the ones available via the pfsense UI.. If you need something, you can install the freebsd packages, etc.  Not really recommend, but its there, etc.

I really would have never even gone with the usg.. But I did want to check it out.. And I didn't want the grief from the wife when I either ordered the pfsense appliance I wanted the 4860, or some new esxi hardware which will be prob 2 if not 3 or 4 times more expensive than what the 4860 costs..  Not sure how your budget committee works ;)  But mine 100 or even 200 I can sneak by with not much pain and just a eye roll on WTF you get now..  But a 350-750$ router or a 1500-3000 Esxi host would of gotten me a bit more than an eye roll or two.. My new line was getting put in a few days, I needed something now.. Didn't want to have a new fancy 500mbps download and not be able to use its full speed ;)  So I got the usg - and it works.. It handles it without any problem - unless you wan to do any sort of shaping, then the speed dumps into the dirt.. So yeah no real qos like you can do with pfsense...

So after playing with the usg for a while - I knew I had to go back to pfsense.. It was just when, and what hardware the new 3100 or the 2440, or do I go big with the 4860 ;) Sure could get some china box for around 200, not a fan of any of that hardware.. So went with the 4860... Let the budget committee bitch, she just got a new freaking car in Nov.. So I don't want to hear it ;) hehehehe  I did too - but mine was 13 years old, hers was only 4..

I also got feed up with the limited ports I had on my sg300-10 and went with a sg300-28 which got for less than 200.. Which only got me an eye roll when it showed up.. I will place the sg300-10 in my AV cab in the living room.. The cheap netgear smart switch I have in there drives me nuts that I can not monitor it via snmp, etc.

So its a bit more involved than just software... Sorry so long - I got on a roll... I could talk about pfsense a lot..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

That's actually not bad!

Yeah its pretty good given you have to include phone line rental for everyone else which is £20 odd a month, its good for £63 all in.

2 hours ago, Mando said:

you lucky lucky mofo!

:yes:

and here i am, living off works free internet, that gets me 5mbps when no one is one  0.01kbps when everyone is on and  $5 500mb 2g on mobile :laugh: third world problems eh?