Internet speed 500/50.. Can't wait ;)

18 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

and here i am, living off works free internet, that gets me 5mbps when no one is one  0.01kbps when everyone is on and  $5 500mb 2g on mobile :laugh: third world problems eh? 

which area are you located?

Well got my sg4860 up and running, using the new sg300-28 port switch.. So plenty of ports to work with I have some cable clean up to do and will post a pic after (its a bit of mess still)... Freaking SWEET setup...   Loving it so far - got my HE tunnel back up... Clickity clickity on the pfsense vs the usg nonsense.  Got openvpn running - again clickity click all done..  VPN'd in to home from work currently..

And now that pfsense has added OpenAppID -- see here https://www.netgate.com/blog/application-detection-on-pfsense-software.html

Even sweeter setup.. Looking forward to playing with that..

Anyone in look of a USG 3p - will let go for nice neowin discount, its running current 4.14 code so all ready to go.. Send me a PM if interested... I will post it up on for sale official prob this weekend. 75$ plus shipping I would think is fair discount price.. It handled my 500 without issue, and the dpi stuff is pretty slick.. But just doesn't compare to pfsense setup is all.. If you are on limited budget its a nice little box - and they are always adding features and making enhancements... I just been on pfsense for so long, I was hating how difficult basic stuff is on the usg.. But if you have a simple network it is not a bad product - its doing the fancier stuff that was driving me crazy when compared to how simple pfsense makes such configs.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Well got my sg4860 up and running, using the new sg300-28 port switch.. So plenty of ports to work with I have some cable clean up to do and will post a pic after (its a bit of mess still)... Freaking SWEET setup...   Loving it so far - got my HE tunnel back up... Clickity clickity on the pfsense vs the usg nonsense.  Got openvpn running - again clickity click all done..  VPN'd in to home from work currently..

And now that pfsense has added OpenAppID -- see here https://www.netgate.com/blog/application-detection-on-pfsense-software.html

Even sweeter setup.. Looking forward to playing with that..

Anyone in look of a USG 3p - will let go for nice neowin discount, its running current 4.14 code so all ready to go.. Send me a PM if interested... I will post it up on for sale official prob this weekend. 75$ plus shipping I would think is fair discount price.. It handled my 500 without issue, and the dpi stuff is pretty slick.. But just doesn't compare to pfsense setup is all.. If you are on limited budget its a nice little box - and they are always adding features and making enhancements... I just been on pfsense for so long, I was hating how difficult basic stuff is on the usg.. But if you have a simple network it is not a bad product - its doing the fancier stuff that was driving me crazy when compared to how simple pfsense makes such configs.

To hopefully encourage quick moving of your USG for sale—it will also handle gig connections. :)

Still quite a bit of cable management to work on..  But here is the sg4860 in operation.. Right now all my vlans are on opt1, plan on leverage the other interfaces for a transit to downstream vm router, and spread my vlans out a bit so they are all not on the same physical interface.  Might do them over a lagg - no real point to it.  But lots of lagg questions come up over on pfsense forums.. So be nice to be able to lab those, etc.

But this was easy way to move the virtual config over to the physical, etc.  Will be lots of changes coming over my xmas break when I have time to play, etc.

sg4860.thumb.jpg.1ead888a8206c42de437ff6ed026bace.jpg

The usb power top left corner should of gotten long time ago.. So that is running 3 of my pi's and my echo dot and charger for fitbit so freed up a lot of power plugs ;)  Still need to connect my pi zero I have 1 port left.  That top pi is my stratum 1 ntp - its antenna is on the top of my desk.

33 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Still quite a bit of cable management to work on..  But here is the sg4860 in operation.. Right now all my vlans are on opt1, plan on leverage the other interfaces for a transit to downstream vm router, and spread my vlans out a bit so they are all not on the same physical interface.  Might do them over a lagg - no real point to it.  But lots of lagg questions come up over on pfsense forums.. So be nice to be able to lab those, etc.

But this was easy way to move the virtual config over to the physical, etc.  Will be lots of changes coming over my xmas break when I have time to play, etc.

sg4860.thumb.jpg.1ead888a8206c42de437ff6ed026bace.jpg

The usb power top left corner should of gotten long time ago.. So that is running 3 of my pi's and my echo dot and charger for fitbit so freed up a lot of power plugs ;)  Still need to connect my pi zero I have 1 port left.  That top pi is my stratum 1 ntp - its antenna is on the top of my desk.

Curious, what do you use the ntp server for on a (I assume) home network? 

27 minutes ago, LaP said:

That's fast. Mine is just 120/20 for 75$ a month (unlimited bandwidth).

Centurylink just rolled out 1gig symmetric fiber to my neighborhood at the tune of 85 a month without caps and a guaranteed price for life. Crazy right?

Yes I use the ntp server for my network, and also it is part of the ntp pool.. You never know if your using the ntp pool you might be getting time from my ntp server ;)  Well when I switched over to new line it went offline I will have to add it back. I serv it up both ipv4 and ipv6..

NTP is one of my hobby things.. The whole protocol is just fascinating to me.. Like dns, etc.  Have run servers in the pool for long time - it was just nuts not to setup stratum 1 when can be done for a few bucks..

Debating what provider to go with now ourselves,  gonna see if Comcast will give deal for another 2 years first, one more chance for that, first call they didn't give much of any deal,  might try one more time after Christmas, and if not, then probably second provider around here  WOW internet and Cable, 500/50 Connection Speed, Ultra TV whole home dvr,  and no extra media players I don't think, and Advanced Phone 

Was comcast for 10 plus years.. Before they were even comcast in this area.. In my area they can not meet the speed or the price that wow has.. Only been on wow couple of months now.. But other than a bit of an issue with upload speed for a bit.. Its been rock solid.. And the upload never went down or anything - just was not getting speed I should be getting.  Now I always get 40+

I don't do tv or phone through them.. DirecTV for like ever - Sunday Ticket baby ;)  Only thing that really keeps me on directv..

We had satellite for a while, but Condo sent a letter out if wasn't using that it had to be removed off roof, and cannot be attached to buildings any longer  and no direct signal for Satellite on pole on the ground due to building across street that blocks it.     so it's one of the 2 cable options which isn't bad, just have to decide which one to use and stick with hopefully for a long while