How to Clean Earphones

I am getting tired of earphones going wrong so I'd like to understand whether I can prevent this, and how to clean them.

I don't get the highest of quality ones but I have some Sennheiser earphones that are lovely.  The left ear bud though is just a lower volume.  I suspect there may be some ear wax that has forced it's way through the mesh, which is stopping the sound.

I have some other LD systems earphones - again though the left bud is at a tiny volume compared with the right.

Someone once suggested dipping them into boiling hot water for a few minutes, then leaving them to dry out.  I did this with another set, but it didn't seem to do anything.  I ended up taking the mesh out, so now they work fine - but I guess the mesh is there to protect the ear and the inside of the ear phone?

1) How can I clean them?

2) Are there any earphones I can buy that I can sort this out?

3) I do clean my ears before using them but there are times when I haven't very well, obviously.

Our church band has started using in-ears for services.  The recommended earphones are MEE M6 Pro (http://www.meeaudio.com/M6PRO-CL) - not expensive as many of us can't afford to be spending £100+ on a set of earphones.  Is the quality head and shoulders above some cheapy £15 pair from Sony or the likes?  They're currently around £30 per pair but I'm not sure I'd get £30 worth of quality out of them.

Thanks all

Edited by Sir Topham Hatt

I've been buying cheap in-ear headphones and giving them a wash in the laundry whenever they get gross (or to be truthful, when I had them in my pockets and forgot to take them out).

They seem to survive - even the wireless BT ones. I figure at less than 30$ a pair, I can afford to replace them if they ever break.

I use a Q-Tip soaked in rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol breaks down earwax real quick and just sanitizes TF out of things, and then evaporates. It's cool stuff and super cheap, like under a dollar a pint at the drugstore. Higher the percentage, the better it is, but I'd worry about the higher percentage overdrying and possibly cracking rubber parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Clean your ears, not your earphones.

Put Otex ear drops in, lie on your side, wait 10 minutes, use a Syringe with warm water over a sink and watch the wax fall out.

I do this quite often as a produce a lot of earwax, I used to have to put softening drops in for 2 weeks and then see the nurse at my local GP surgery. This is way quicker and easier and no more dangerous that a nurse doing it.

The nurse used to use an electric ear syringe, let me tell you, that thing hitting your eardrum is recipe for disaster... vertigo central. Manual syringes are more gentle, although you can still get the dizzyness now and then.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't think headphone is for clean,Because headphone will be damage when you will clean,The only one way you can replace them to a new one.May be mobile electrician can help you to clean headphone but not sure.