• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Trouble installing OS fresh, Mac Pro

Recommended Posts

Ojan    1

A couple weeks ago my mid-2010 Mac Pro started getting extremely slow at times. Restarting would temporarily fix it, until one day it wouldn't get past the apple logo progress bar screen. So I took it in and Apple ran a diagnostic and told me that it's unlikely to be the HDD but "something else" that wouldn't be worth replacing, and recommended a new computer.

However, my old HDD won't migrate to the new computer. Good thing I have a bootable backup. It takes longer than it should to mount, it's extremely slow in accessing files and makes a repetitive sound in even intervals like it's trying to load. So I started thinking that maybe the problem was just with the HDD. 

I'd prefer to stay with my old Mac Pro and swap out the old hard-drives with new ones if possible. So I put a new HDD in it and tried installing macOS high Sierra from a flash drive. However, it only gets to the following screen at which point there's a problem..."To install macOS high Sierra, a firmware update is required. To complete the update, click "shut down..." The shut down button is grayed out and will not let me click to continue the process. 

Is this clearly a bad sign or is there still hope to install an OS and stay with the Mac Pro? Is it possible that my old nearly-full HDD triggered a more serious issue, or vice versa? I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711

I would suggest installing an older version of Mac OS X and then performing a firmware upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
farmeunit    667

Don't the 2010's have the Recovery Mode to install over the internet?  I do NOT know if that would update the firmware, also, but would think so. 

 

If not, here is the Firmware Restoration CD:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201692

 

Not a Mac expert, so not positive.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,532

Also not a mac expert - but I think its laughable an apple "tech" suggests its not replacing - get a new one.

It certainly does sound like a HDD.  ESPECIALLY if its the original from 2010.

Stay on the road you're going down.  
1.) Figure out how to get the firmware update
2.) Put OS on new HDD (SSD if you can)

* and dont go back to the "tech" who told you it probably wasnt the HDD - his motives are selling a new machine - not helping you.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

Man, you guys are great.  I can't believe I got so many responses so fast.  

 

@Mockingbird , I thought of that, I'll definitely figure out how to do that now. Thanks.

 

@farmeunit, I tried, but it did not work.  Holding command+option+R, would not start Internet Recovery.  Thanks.

 

@T3X4S, Haha you're so right!  It is the original from 2010.  And OK, I will.  

So you suggest SSD, which opens up another topic... I decided to go with a 1TB SSHD strictly for OS and apps and move the home folder to a 6TB HDD.  I read that this would be the best way to enhance performance and that furthermore, non-Apple SSDs can cause problems, although many people haven't had issues and love them.  Logic Pro projects are my priority.  I also do some photography and videos.  I just need a solid, reliable system.  Thanks.

 

Anyway let me try and get this computer going first! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711

Another option is to install Mac OS X (probably an older version) using another Mac and then transfer the hard drive over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

@Mockingbird, Could you please be more specific?  How do I download OS installers for older versions since the computer is running on the latest version?  I'll need one in my app folder in order to make a bootable flash from it.  Also, would I then follow the exact same steps in Terminal as I did to make the bootable flash of high Sierra?  

 

I wouldn't even know where to start as far as your second suggestion... Could I install OS X onto my new SSHD using this iMac?  That would make this a lot easier.  

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
Just now, Ojan said:

@Mockingbird, Could you please be more specific?  How do I download OS installers for older versions since the computer is running on the latest version?  I'll need one in my app folder in order to make a bootable flash from it.  Also, would I then follow the exact same steps in Terminal as I did to make the bootable flash of high Sierra?  

 

I wouldn't even know where to start as far as your second suggestion... Could I install OS X onto my new SSHD using this iMac?  That would make this a lot easier.  

 

Thank you!

Well, that's the hard part.

 

To get an older version of Mac OS X, you have to find the installer somewhere online.

 

And yes, you would do the same steps in the terminal.

 

If you want to use an iMac to install to the hard drive, you are going to need a hard drive enclose. I think you should try this last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

I see... Haha Ok well I'll give it a shot. Just Google search for it right?

 

Ok gotcha, but just to clarify, a "hard drive enclose"?  You mean a hard drive docking station would not work?

 

Thank you.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
21 minutes ago, Ojan said:

I see... Haha Ok well I'll give it a shot. Just Google search for it right?

 

I mean unless you can think of some other ways.

 

21 minutes ago, Ojan said:

Ok gotcha, but just to clarify, a "hard drive enclose"?  You mean a hard drive docking station would not work?

 

Thank you.  

 

 

A hard drive docking station would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

Thanks @Mockingbird.. Well in that case, why don't I just install OSX on my new SSHD using the docking station?  My mid-2010 Mac Pro is supposed to be compatible with OS High Sierra.  Or if you think an older version would be a safer bet, that's fine.  Would it be the same process in Terminal as I used for the flash? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,800
14 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

To get an older version of Mac OS X, you have to find the installer somewhere online.

 

If you've downloaded the update via the app store, it should still be in your purchased queue. I was able to roll back a few OS X versions via downloading installer from App Store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,555

This firmware bug seems to be a known issue. Have you upgraded the harddrive on your MacBook from the original that came with it? Another member here, @shockz was also receiving this error on a unit that was supported by High Sierra. In the thread, there was an updated link that described the problem with certain third-party drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,800
36 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

This firmware bug seems to be a known issue. Have you upgraded the harddrive on your MacBook from the original that came with it? Another member here, @shockz was also receiving this error on a unit that was supported by High Sierra. In the thread, there was an updated link that described the problem with certain third-party drives.

Just an update to that, still waiting for OWC firmware update, but I ended up doing a complete clean, erase and zero fill on that drive after disk utility reported errors, afterwards I put it back in and did a first-aid repair via disk utility on rescue mode showing no errors after. Hopefully it was just a EFI partition issue as opposed to a dying drive. After a few days drive still shows as healthy when running checks. Now working with High Sierra. It should also be noted that I purchased my Macbook new with that drive. Not sure if Apple started using OWC drives or if the store I bought it from was trying to make a quick buck on upgrades factored into price, it was still cheaper than purchasing directly via apple store.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Co-ords    220
1 hour ago, Ojan said:

Thanks @Mockingbird.. Well in that case, why don't I just install OSX on my new SSHD using the docking station?  My mid-2010 Mac Pro is supposed to be compatible with OS High Sierra.  Or if you think an older version would be a safer bet, that's fine.  Would it be the same process in Terminal as I used for the flash? 

I have the exact same machine @ work and it runs High Sierra perfectly on a SSD. When installing High Sierra, the installer first flashed the firmware so that should work great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

@shockzThe old OS versions are listed, but they "cannot be installed on this computer" which is why @Mockingbird said the hard part is finding an installer online.

 

@CircaflexThanks for the tip.  

 

@Co-ordsThat's good to know :-) But what do you mean by, the installer first "flashed" the firmware?

Edited by Ojan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Co-ords    220
12 hours ago, Ojan said:

@shockzThe old OS versions are listed, but they "cannot be installed on this computer" which is why @Mockingbird said the hard part is finding an installer online.

 

@CircaflexThanks for the tip.  

 

@Co-ordsThat's good to know :-) But what do you mean by, the installer first "flashed" the firmware?

Part of the installer is that it runs the firmware updater specific for your hardware as far as I can see to make the machine completely High Sierra compatible. ALso I assume to patch the bugs in the current versions of the EFI firmware. Does that make more sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

@Co-ordsYes it makes sense but I'm honestly struggling here, stuck on step 1 which is to find an installer file for any older versions of OS X so I can make a flash drive bootable installer out of it.  All the files I download don't open or don't end up being the right thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Co-ords    220
14 hours ago, Ojan said:

@Co-ordsYes it makes sense but I'm honestly struggling here, stuck on step 1 which is to find an installer file for any older versions of OS X so I can make a flash drive bootable installer out of it.  All the files I download don't open or don't end up being the right thing.

Is this the only Mac you can get your hands on? If you had another you could create a bootable USB installer (http://www.diskmakerx.com). I also found this (https://pureinfotech.com/make-bootable-usb-mac-os-x-windows/) a guide to create it on a Windows machine. Hope this helps...

Edited by Co-ords
More info found

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

@Co-ordsI'm on my Macbook now.   

 

I wish I could first try installing an older OS version via bootable USB installer..but I can't find a good installer file! I'm surprised it's so difficult to find (I'm no expert on downloading/torrents)  I'd rather not pay for one because we don't know for sure if it'll work, but I'm willing to.  They're cheap. 


No one knows of a link to a good installer file for ANY old OS X version? Mountain Lion, Yosemite, Mavericks, etc?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Co-ords    220
10 hours ago, Ojan said:

@Co-ordsI'm on my Macbook now.   

 

I wish I could first try installing an older OS version via bootable USB installer..but I can't find a good installer file! I'm surprised it's so difficult to find (I'm no expert on downloading/torrents)  I'd rather not pay for one because we don't know for sure if it'll work, but I'm willing to.  They're cheap. 


No one knows of a link to a good installer file for ANY old OS X version? Mountain Lion, Yosemite, Mavericks, etc?  Thanks

Which version are you looking for specifically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allan.nyholm    42
On 10/6/2017 at 5:49 AM, Ojan said:

No one knows of a link to a good installer file for ANY old OS X version? Mountain Lion, Yosemite, Mavericks, etc?  Thanks

I can obtain a OS X Mavericks installation for you via the use of net*. Would you like to have an El Capitan installation via the waterfall of bits**? It's my own and the earliest I can obtain for download for my iMac because of the firmware that is locked to El Capitan and later.

 

*I have to put it this way to get around the piracy talk here. It's the oldest file distribution service on the internet some would say. 

**I also have to type it like that to get around the piracy talk here. But I guess that's all revealed now anyway.

 

I will say though that if you have a friend with any Mac operating system, you should/could try reaching out to that person for a little help with letting you log in with your Mac App Store credentials and get the installer you've previously downloaded from that store.

 

I do have a Lion DVD that I could ship, it's the only physical copy I have. It's one I burned out to DVD when I bought Lion back then.

 

As a last resort, go to any Internet capable computer and buy whichever copy of OS X you want directly from www.apple.com - if you need direct links then please say so.

 

I also just realized that the suggestions I've made has been suggested earlier in this thread which I've like totally skipped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojan    1

Thanks @allan.nyholm , and sorry for the late reply, but I ended up taking it to an Apple repair shop where they successfully installed OS High Sierra in about 30 minutes.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allan.nyholm    42
On 10/30/2017 at 11:16 PM, Ojan said:

Thanks @allan.nyholm , and sorry for the late reply, but I ended up taking it to an Apple repair shop where they successfully installed OS High Sierra in about 30 minutes.  

No problem.. I'm also late in replying it appears - seeing as the reply from you is some days ago. Great that you got macOS installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.