Shopping for a NUC

Lets get this out of the way. I am not a gamer. If ever I want to game, I can use an eGPU using Thunderbird. (That will come later)

The reason? It feels, to me, that I am wasting a lot of money on crap I'll never use. I only have 1 Samsung 256GB M.2 in my computer. Nothing else. HDDs are external.

I am looking at these 2, very similar, systems. I am not willing to go elsewhere, unless you have a very good reason to.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856102184

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102166

As per this: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/952/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-6770HQ_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-7567U.html

The 7th gen has less cores, but it makes up for it with it's lower TDP. More energy efficent.

According to this: https://technical.city/en/video/Iris-Pro-Graphics-580-vs-Iris-Plus-Graphics-650

The 6gen (580) seems to have the better Intel graphics, but... do I need that? For no gaming, am I really going to see the difference?

Don't start saying "You're wasting your money!" I have looked at this for a few months, reading every review, watched every YT vid, saw every benchmark. It feels, to me, the right thing to do. All I need from you, is to weigh out the two. See if the $100 difference is really that great. I won't be getting this for a good month, so deals matter nothing to me.

Edited by Jason S.
thread title changed for accuracy

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

So is this replacing your desktop, or is this just another unit added to the household? I'd probably go with https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856102184 as it has the newer generation of CPU.

Wasn't that what I posted?

10 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Wasn't that what I posted?

And? Wasn't your question originally between the two which was a better value? You've since edited the post since then but you basically wanted someone to pick a model for you. 

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

And? Wasn't your question originally between the two which was a better value? You've since edited the post since then but you basically wanted someone to pick a model for you. 

You'd rather pick this one. To me, that sounded like "don't get those two, get this one". I believe it was the same one I picked. Me confuzzled, why I asked...

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

You'd rather pick this one. To me, that sounded like "don't get those two, get this one". I believe it was the same one I picked. Me confuzzled, why I asked...

.... it is the same link from your post. I think I am done with your threads, you read between the lines too much and come up with very strange conclusions. Hope someone can drop by and help you out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

.... it is the same link from your post. I think I am done with your threads, you read between the lines too much and come up with very strange conclusions. Hope someone can drop by and help you out.

Nope. Your link had the 16GB memory included. I never said I needed that. Open your eyes.

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Nope. Your link had the 16GB memory included. I never said I needed that. Open your eyes.

I am going to play your game one last time. Look at my images, it is the EXACT same link you posted. If anyone needs to open their eyes, it is you. You do realize, the LINK YOU POSTED allows other configs right? You just proved my point, I was baited into responding to your childish remarks. You are still upset from previous conversations we have had, you literally read between the lines on every one of my replies, no matter how nice or straight to the point I am with you. This time, I will exit the thread and just ignore it, but you clearly cannot keep focus and get side tracked. I literally re-linked something you originally had posted. If you were looking at the nuc, minus the optane memory, fix your first post and change the link to the correct one, which is this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856102178 You wonder why I respond the way I do to some of your posts, I mean telling me to "open your eyes," isn't helping your case at all.

/mic drop

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Open your eyes, the link Circaflex posted is the first link in your post.

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

do I need that? For no gaming, am I really going to see the difference?

No it won't matter in the slightest for general desktop use / web browsing. However it's a bit of an open ended question when the only thing we know you will be doing is not playing games.

For some prospective I manage fine with light Photoshop use on an Intel HD 4000, which is ancient compared to what's in either of the NUC's you linked to. 

5 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

No it won't matter in the slightest for general desktop use / web browsing. However it's a bit of an open ended question when the only thing we know you will be doing is not playing games.

For some prospective I manage fine with light Photoshop use on an Intel HD 4000, which is ancient compared to what's in either of the NUC's you linked to. 

^ this

It doesn't matter.  Pick one. 

Edit:  Unless you're doing 4K Netflix streaming ... than get the Kaby.

OK, thanks all. I might get the lower costing one, for better TDP...

Thunderbolt, sorry... :huh: