New Monitor

This isn't for me, it's for my Dad. His OLD, circa 2005, (maybe?) Samsung 17" monitor is starting to see its age. Can see tearing on the screen, and every now and then, it changes colors. We just smack the thing and it's back to normal.

I want a better screen for him to use. I'm looking at budget here, but not the cheapo models we never heard of. I think a 24-27" monitor would do him well. HDMI/DVI, curved looks cool, but if not, no worry. He doesn't game, he just plays FaceBook games. He has his own speakers, so no need for HDMI sound.

I don't know what quality the lower class monitors provide.

Budget is <$200. I don't think I'd need more than that. Any questions, ask.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FHJF40ZXHD05Y0W4PPKS

I bought one in 2005 and it lasted until a few months ago. Then I replaced 6 caps for .60 cents and now it's up and going again.

For my Dad, I consulted with his optometrist who suggested a huge not 4k monitor.  My dad couldn't be happier.  Helped him spend money on ebay faster and easier than before. 

Also read spam easier.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FHJF40ZXHD05Y0W4PPKS

I bought one in 2005 and it lasted until a few months ago. Then I replaced 6 caps for .60 cents and now it's up and going again.

My Dad does have a Dell 17" that he got off me when I bought the new 23" monitors. That Dell is from maybe 2003ish?

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

This isn't for me, it's for my Dad. His OLD, circa 2005, (maybe?) Samsung 17" monitor is starting to see its age. Can see tearing on the screen, and every now and then, it changes colors. We just smack the thing and it's back to normal.

I want a better screen for him to use. I'm looking at budget here, but not the cheapo models we never heard of. I think a 24-27" monitor would do him well. HDMI/DVI, curved looks cool, but if not, no worry. He doesn't game, he just plays FaceBook games. He has his own speakers, so no need for HDMI sound.

I don't know what quality the lower class monitors provide.

Budget is <$200. I don't think I'd need more than that. Any questions, ask.

That was where I was when I upgraded to my current display - back during the "stimulus" era - I had a CRT which had, in fact, just fallen flat.  That meant that I needed D-sub input support (since I was not replacing my graphics card yet - I needed something I could use right away).  If your target is in that position, start there. (Must include D-sub input.)  It's not as if such displays don't exist - they do - even among flat-panel displays.  Here is an example - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/monitors/monitor-essential

Not even $130.

13 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yea. my problem is, what are good and what are just POS....

Most top-drawer displays won't support D-sub at all for the understandable reason that a D-sub input won't show top-drawer quality - it's why top-drawer displays mostly don't support HDR on HDMI - instead, they restrict it to DisplayPort.  Since I was in your dad's position, I HAVE upgraded my graphics card - and as such I'm now in the reverse of my old position; I can get HDR out of my graphics card; however, I need DisplayPort support for HDR from my display - which I don't have; chicken vs. egg. (I'm not talking consoles - but Windows 10; AMD and nVidia both support HDR via DisplayPort in their current drivers - my current monitor does not support DisplayPort at all.)

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

That looks good too. I recently bought a new monitor about a year ago, this is what I got. It was to replace a 22 inch....nevermind turns out I bought the same one I linked to above lol :D

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

That looks good too. I recently bought a new monitor about a year ago, this is what I got. It was to replace a 22 inch....nevermind turns out I bought the same one I linked to above lol :D

Well, the one I posted is on sale right now. It looks rather good for the price.

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, the one I posted is on sale right now. It looks rather good for the price.

But then!!!! ... I remembered the last one I bought was this one

ViewSonic VA2465SMH 24" 1080p LED Monitor HDMI, VGA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RPJOQQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it was to replace my security camera monitor above my desk. This one is usually left on 24 / 7 . Bought it June 30th. Still working.

It's one ugly mutt but it's only $129

Is Acer any good?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009781&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=EXPRESS100717&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS100717-_-EMC-100717-Index-_-LCDLEDMonitors-_-24009781-S0A&ignorebbr=1

I have 2 that I bought for friends, and they never had a problem with it. Just that it is $100 (from $170) after sale and MIR.

22 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have 2 that I bought for friends, and they never had a problem with it.

I think you've answered your own question.

17 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I think you've answered your own question.

That's just my assumption. You? You may hate their @$$...

17 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's just my assumption. You? You may hate their @$$...

The first LCD monitor I got was an Acer. It was a 19-inch Square monitor, Got it before I got my dell 24 inch, so somewhere around 2004.  Still works today.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:12 AM, Mindovermaster said:

I have the 1440p 25 inch version of this. If mine (Ive 3) are any indicator, the 24 inch is superb quality. The 25 inch has 5 USB 3 ports, the 24 has 3.