Cannot log onto many sites after uninstalling AOL desktop software.

I'll make this as short as possible. My aunt uses AOL Desktop software on her PC running Windows 10. (I know, I've told her a million times to get off it but she refuses). So the other day when she opens AOL she gets a message that she can no longer use the version she has been using and has to install the new version called AOL Desktop Gold. So today I go over and install the new version and everything was running fine. I then went to uninstall the old version and found after uninstalling it I could no longer log on with the new version it replaced. Even more disturbing I then found that there are many sites I can't get on to through any web browser.I can get to Google, Yahoo and a few other sites but many sites like AOL, amazon and MSN I can't. The message in the browser says something about not being able to connect to the DNS server. I've tried Edge, Chrome and Firefox and cannot connect to all of these sites and more.

Is there a way that I can rectify this situation? I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Sounds like you deleted something you werent supposed to... Could be the old AOL used the same files that the new one used, and if you took that away, well...

I'd resinstall the new version of AOL.

• Like 1

OK, but how would that affect all of the sites I can't get to through the browsers? Actually I did try to reinstall the new AOL but it wouldn't connect online.

15 minutes ago, cosrocket said:

OK, but how would that affect all of the sites I can't get to through the browsers?

Sounds like a DNS issue. The DNS was probably already cached for those sites you are able to get to. I would take a look at your DNS settings on your ethernet adapter / or wifi adapter (whichever one you are using) . See if the DNS is empty or set to obtain automatically. If it's set to manual but empty, set it to obtain automatically. If it is set to obtain automatically try setting it to manual opendns using these numbers

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007207-Windows-10-Configuration

• Like 2