I want to buy an SSD. Do I need to sell a kidney?

Recommended Posts

Mockingbird    2,052

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50% while prices of memory doubled.

 

During these hard times, how do I shop for an SSD?

  • Dislike 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,437

Says the guy who thinks he's an 'expert' with shopping sites

  • Haha 6
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,052
2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Says the guy who thinks he's an 'expert' with shopping sites

I've been hovering over slickdeals for a while now and can't find any good deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    8,915

Online.

NewEgg, Amazon, etc.  Doesn't pcpartpicker do a price comparison and suggest a store with the lowest price (and a price history)?

 

If you feel you have to sell a kidney to afford an SSD...you don't need it.

 

Sorry, but this is an odd thread/question.  Figure out what SSD you want and than compare prices. /shrug

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,052
Just now, Jim K said:

Online.

NewEgg, Amazon, etc.  Doesn't pcpartpicker do a price comparison and suggest a store with the lowest price (and a price history)?

 

If you feel you have to sell a kidney to afford an SSD...you don't need it.

 

Sorry, but this is an odd thread/question.  Figure out what SSD you want and than compare prices. /shrug

I've checked pcpartpicker.

 

That's the first place I've checked.

 

I can afford an SSD, but it just seems like a huge rip-off right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
virtorio    2,177

If your kidney isn't worth as much as at least three SSDs you should see a doctor. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+The Evil Overlord    17,437

Personal favourite, install OS only

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-120GB-SA400S37-120G/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507249644&sr=8-1&keywords=kingston+ssd

 

Then any brand of mechanical hdd you prefer as secondary drives for applications, games, media, and storage.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    8,915

Well... Prices are what they are. You can wait and see if they go down...or the longer you wait the more they can increase (prices are expected to both rise...and drop...depending on the source...haha).  You could always wait until Black Friday (or that other one...Cyber Monday?)... might score some good deals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+exotoxic    430
15 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I can afford an SSD, but it just seems like a huge rip-off right now.

If you don't think something is value for money don't buy it (even if all the cool kids have one).

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    896

120GB SSD's are cheap. It's when you go into the higher capacities is where they rise. I always used SSD as OS and a few programs, and all my game files on a HDD...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    7,894
1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50% while prices of memory doubled.

 

During these hard times, how do I shop for an SSD?

They went up 50%? The 960 Evo is 10 bucks cheaper than I bought it 4-5 months ago. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    4,979

You can get a 500gb ssd for under $200 while a 1tb will cost closer to $400.   SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper so not sure why you think they are 50 percent more expensive. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    896
7 minutes ago, techbeck said:

You can get a 500gb ssd for under $200 while a 1tb will cost closer to $400.   SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper so not sure why you think they are 50 percent more expensive. 

Oh, he's buying it from ToysRUs...

 

But, really, what do you think it costs more? We been on the same peak we've been on for months... Examples, please?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mando    3,355
9 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50% while prices of memory doubled.

 

During these hard times, how do I shop for an SSD?

im confused, seeing 275Gb models for under £100 i see no price increase. Same as its been for months. If you need to sell a kidney to find £100 I suppose.........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IAGSD5O?aaxitk=PQkxKJ41sZmW6QHkJdbRFA&th=1

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeChipshop    3,287
10 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50%

 

Since when?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mando    3,355
36 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

 

Since when?

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

 

I dont see any fluctuation, prices have been static since May 2016.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrashGordon    328
Posted (edited)

Just looked at prices from both Newegg and Micro Center, looks about the same price as they have been. 250GB 960 Evo M2 NVMe still around $125 ($250 for the 500GB).

 

EDIT: Why did I reply to this, especially with the overly dramatic title. :/

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck    4,979
19 minutes ago, CrashGordon said:

EDIT: Why did I reply to this, especially with the overly dramatic title. :/

Yea...just another "look at me" thread.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mando    3,355
38 minutes ago, xendrome said:

WTH are you even talking about, 50%... - https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

 

This is like the new Andrea Borman.

oi stop stealing my link you :p teehee

 

https://www.ebuyer.com/790250-kingston-a400-120gb-ssd-ebuyer-com-sa400s37-120g

 

120Gb SSD for £49.97!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+T3X4S    4,328

How many times ?  How many times ?

This is yet another, but more subtle, cry for attention.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+goretsky    683

Hello,

 

It's been a while since I've looked at this side of the computer industry, but let me see if I can provide part of an explanation for the rise (or at least less of a drop than expected) in prices.

 

Unfortunately, DRAM pricing has continued to go up the last several quarters due to strong demand for DRAM for GPUs (used for crypto currency mining), large orders for mobile phone manufacturing from Apple, Samsung, etc.), and demand for use in various kinds of computers (everything from IoT to servers).   While the kinds of memory are different (volatile versus non-volatile, different technologies, etc.), there are only a finite number of fabs (factories) that make them, and it takes time to change tooling to switch manufacturing. 

 

On top of all of that, there are ongoing changes in how chips are manufactured, with chip designers and fabs working on making the widths of the circuits etched on those chips (and the gaps between those circuits) smaller and smaller.  These are now measured in sub-1.0 micron process (a human hair is around 50 microns wide), and getting this process right so that the yield of usable chips is a very costly and expensive process in itself, even when you don't figure in the process of shutting down and then restarting a line in a fab to adjust something if it cannot be handled in situ.

 

Fabs typically run 7×24 and may only shut down for a few days every year to perform upgrades, maintenance, recalibration of equipment, etc.  The lost output from that week can be many millions of dollars.  So when something like a switch in manufacturing process to make more chips on a silicon wafer occurs, fabs schedule the upgrades for those months in advance in order to minimize impact on their lines (both their chip manufacturing ones, and their bottom ones).

 

So, right now, there's more demand than supply of DRAM, and as a result prices have been going up.  Hopefully, as more capacity comes on line (and at the right process sizes), prices will go down again.

 

In the meantime, I'd suggest waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmorris1    74
On 10/5/2017 at 7:14 PM, Mockingbird said:

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50% while prices of memory doubled.

 

During these hard times, how do I shop for an SSD?

I haven't noticed any of this?  Are we in a depression? 

Just bought a 500 GB Samsung a few months ago for $150.  I have seen them for the same price lately too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Odom    163

In Germany the prices for SSD's are stable as well. I see no price hike. Besides, what SSD size are we talking about here? Just a general observation?

If you're only putting the OS on the SSD, and the games and apps on an HDD, then what is the pont in having one? Get one at least so big that what you use daily you can be put on the SSD. On HDD's you should only be putting things you don't need to have sped up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+T3X4S    4,328
13 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

 

It's been a while since I've looked at this side of the computer industry, but let me see if I can provide part of an explanation for the rise (or at least less of a drop than expected) in prices.

 

Unfortunately, DRAM pricing has continued to go up the last several quarters due to strong demand for DRAM for GPUs (used for crypto currency mining), large orders for mobile phone manufacturing from Apple, Samsung, etc.), and demand for use in various kinds of computers (everything from IoT to servers).   While the kinds of memory are different (volatile versus non-volatile, different technologies, etc.), there are only a finite number of fabs (factories) that make them, and it takes time to change tooling to switch manufacturing. 

 

On top of all of that, there are ongoing changes in how chips are manufactured, with chip designers and fabs working on making the widths of the circuits etched on those chips (and the gaps between those circuits) smaller and smaller.  These are now measured in sub-1.0 micron process (a human hair is around 50 microns wide), and getting this process right so that the yield of usable chips is a very costly and expensive process in itself, even when you don't figure in the process of shutting down and then restarting a line in a fab to adjust something if it cannot be handled in situ.

 

Fabs typically run 7×24 and may only shut down for a few days every year to perform upgrades, maintenance, recalibration of equipment, etc.  The lost output from that week can be many millions of dollars.  So when something like a switch in manufacturing process to make more chips on a silicon wafer occurs, fabs schedule the upgrades for those months in advance in order to minimize impact on their lines (both their chip manufacturing ones, and their bottom ones).

 

So, right now, there's more demand than supply of DRAM, and as a result prices have been going up.  Hopefully, as more capacity comes on line (and at the right process sizes), prices will go down again.

 

In the meantime, I'd suggest waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Great post.  I have read a couple of articles about bitcoin miners causing a supply issue.

Thanks for breaking it down and adding the "bad timing" aspect of everything. (contributing factors)

I havent noticed a "huge" price increase either (same as others have mentioned)

I have been thinking of a new build, and the one price aspect which has suprised me (the thing that has changed since my last build) was the # of models (CPU, mobo) that are in and over $400-$500 range.

So many CPUs to choose from over $500, and it isnt just 1 model of ASUS mobo that is over $400.

I dont keep up with this stuff as much as I used to (as other current threads have also mentioned) so it seems I have some light reading to do.

But SSD prices seem the same.  Granted, there are more options, new tech which puts more options to the right of the bell curve - but not industry-wide, as the OP mentions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.