I want to buy an SSD. Do I need to sell a kidney?

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50% while prices of memory doubled.

During these hard times, how do I shop for an SSD?

• Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Says the guy who thinks he's an 'expert' with shopping sites

I've been hovering over slickdeals for a while now and can't find any good deals.

Online.

NewEgg, Amazon, etc.  Doesn't pcpartpicker do a price comparison and suggest a store with the lowest price (and a price history)?

If you feel you have to sell a kidney to afford an SSD...you don't need it.

Sorry, but this is an odd thread/question.  Figure out what SSD you want and than compare prices. /shrug

• Like 3

Just now, Jim K said:

Online.

NewEgg, Amazon, etc.  Doesn't pcpartpicker do a price comparison and suggest a store with the lowest price (and a price history)?

If you feel you have to sell a kidney to afford an SSD...you don't need it.

Sorry, but this is an odd thread/question.  Figure out what SSD you want and than compare prices. /shrug

I've checked pcpartpicker.

That's the first place I've checked.

I can afford an SSD, but it just seems like a huge rip-off right now.

Well... Prices are what they are. You can wait and see if they go down...or the longer you wait the more they can increase (prices are expected to both rise...and drop...depending on the source...haha).  You could always wait until Black Friday (or that other one...Cyber Monday?)... might score some good deals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I can afford an SSD, but it just seems like a huge rip-off right now.

If you don't think something is value for money don't buy it (even if all the cool kids have one).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

120GB SSD's are cheap. It's when you go into the higher capacities is where they rise. I always used SSD as OS and a few programs, and all my game files on a HDD...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

As many of you may have noticed, prices of SSD went up 50% while prices of memory doubled.

They went up 50%? The 960 Evo is 10 bucks cheaper than I bought it 4-5 months ago. 

7 minutes ago, techbeck said:

You can get a 500gb ssd for under $200 while a 1tb will cost closer to $400.   SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper so not sure why you think they are 50 percent more expensive. 

Oh, he's buying it from ToysRUs...

But, really, what do you think it costs more? We been on the same peak we've been on for months... Examples, please?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

im confused, seeing 275Gb models for under £100 i see no price increase. Same as its been for months. If you need to sell a kidney to find £100 I suppose.........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IAGSD5O?aaxitk=PQkxKJ41sZmW6QHkJdbRFA&th=1

Just looked at prices from both Newegg and Micro Center, looks about the same price as they have been. 250GB 960 Evo M2 NVMe still around $125 ($250 for the 500GB).

EDIT: Why did I reply to this, especially with the overly dramatic title. :/

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, xendrome said:

WTH are you even talking about, 50%... - https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

This is like the new Andrea Borman.

oi stop stealing my link you :p teehee

https://www.ebuyer.com/790250-kingston-a400-120gb-ssd-ebuyer-com-sa400s37-120g

120Gb SSD for £49.97!

• Like 1

Hello,

It's been a while since I've looked at this side of the computer industry, but let me see if I can provide part of an explanation for the rise (or at least less of a drop than expected) in prices.

Unfortunately, DRAM pricing has continued to go up the last several quarters due to strong demand for DRAM for GPUs (used for crypto currency mining), large orders for mobile phone manufacturing from Apple, Samsung, etc.), and demand for use in various kinds of computers (everything from IoT to servers).   While the kinds of memory are different (volatile versus non-volatile, different technologies, etc.), there are only a finite number of fabs (factories) that make them, and it takes time to change tooling to switch manufacturing. 

On top of all of that, there are ongoing changes in how chips are manufactured, with chip designers and fabs working on making the widths of the circuits etched on those chips (and the gaps between those circuits) smaller and smaller.  These are now measured in sub-1.0 micron process (a human hair is around 50 microns wide), and getting this process right so that the yield of usable chips is a very costly and expensive process in itself, even when you don't figure in the process of shutting down and then restarting a line in a fab to adjust something if it cannot be handled in situ.

Fabs typically run 7×24 and may only shut down for a few days every year to perform upgrades, maintenance, recalibration of equipment, etc.  The lost output from that week can be many millions of dollars.  So when something like a switch in manufacturing process to make more chips on a silicon wafer occurs, fabs schedule the upgrades for those months in advance in order to minimize impact on their lines (both their chip manufacturing ones, and their bottom ones).

So, right now, there's more demand than supply of DRAM, and as a result prices have been going up.  Hopefully, as more capacity comes on line (and at the right process sizes), prices will go down again.

In the meantime, I'd suggest waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

On 10/5/2017 at 7:14 PM, Mockingbird said:

I haven't noticed any of this?  Are we in a depression? 

Just bought a 500 GB Samsung a few months ago for $150.  I have seen them for the same price lately too?

In Germany the prices for SSD's are stable as well. I see no price hike. Besides, what SSD size are we talking about here? Just a general observation?

If you're only putting the OS on the SSD, and the games and apps on an HDD, then what is the pont in having one? Get one at least so big that what you use daily you can be put on the SSD. On HDD's you should only be putting things you don't need to have sped up.

13 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

It's been a while since I've looked at this side of the computer industry, but let me see if I can provide part of an explanation for the rise (or at least less of a drop than expected) in prices.

Unfortunately, DRAM pricing has continued to go up the last several quarters due to strong demand for DRAM for GPUs (used for crypto currency mining), large orders for mobile phone manufacturing from Apple, Samsung, etc.), and demand for use in various kinds of computers (everything from IoT to servers).   While the kinds of memory are different (volatile versus non-volatile, different technologies, etc.), there are only a finite number of fabs (factories) that make them, and it takes time to change tooling to switch manufacturing. 

On top of all of that, there are ongoing changes in how chips are manufactured, with chip designers and fabs working on making the widths of the circuits etched on those chips (and the gaps between those circuits) smaller and smaller.  These are now measured in sub-1.0 micron process (a human hair is around 50 microns wide), and getting this process right so that the yield of usable chips is a very costly and expensive process in itself, even when you don't figure in the process of shutting down and then restarting a line in a fab to adjust something if it cannot be handled in situ.

Fabs typically run 7×24 and may only shut down for a few days every year to perform upgrades, maintenance, recalibration of equipment, etc.  The lost output from that week can be many millions of dollars.  So when something like a switch in manufacturing process to make more chips on a silicon wafer occurs, fabs schedule the upgrades for those months in advance in order to minimize impact on their lines (both their chip manufacturing ones, and their bottom ones).

So, right now, there's more demand than supply of DRAM, and as a result prices have been going up.  Hopefully, as more capacity comes on line (and at the right process sizes), prices will go down again.

In the meantime, I'd suggest waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Great post.  I have read a couple of articles about bitcoin miners causing a supply issue.

Thanks for breaking it down and adding the "bad timing" aspect of everything. (contributing factors)

I havent noticed a "huge" price increase either (same as others have mentioned)

I have been thinking of a new build, and the one price aspect which has suprised me (the thing that has changed since my last build) was the # of models (CPU, mobo) that are in and over $400-$500 range.

So many CPUs to choose from over $500, and it isnt just 1 model of ASUS mobo that is over $400.

I dont keep up with this stuff as much as I used to (as other current threads have also mentioned) so it seems I have some light reading to do.

But SSD prices seem the same.  Granted, there are more options, new tech which puts more options to the right of the bell curve - but not industry-wide, as the OP mentions.

• Like 2