I want to buy an SSD. Do I need to sell a kidney?

the prices of ssds have gone up significantly. it's the cell phone market's fault. never mind the fact that the smart phone you currently have can do anything you could ever want a phone to do you still upgrade every year or two.

24 minutes ago, seta-san said:

the prices of ssds have gone up significantly. it's the cell phone market's fault. never mind the fact that the smart phone you currently have can do anything you could ever want a phone to do you still upgrade every year or two.

Significantly? If anything prices haven’t dropped but I’ve yet to see SSD prices soar above what I paid to begin with. What do you consider to be significant?

Has anyone used this Holy Grail:

Honey:

joinhoney.com/ref/ezwu57

This has been an extraordinary extension for Chrome and Firefox that searches for the best deals while browsing Amazon, eBay, and other stores!

Heck, it even draws you a price graph!!

3 hours ago, Raze said:

@Mockingbird, how much do you think one of your kidneys is worth?  Wouldn't it be better to give it to someone who may need it?  A donation may save someone's life.  :yes:

Okay. It's dark outside.

Now, I need to go find a kidney.

Where are you at, approximately?

• Dislike 3

8 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Okay. It's dark outside.

Now, I need to go find a kidney.

Where are you at, approximately?

Next door to you.     :shifty:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Significantly? If anything prices haven’t dropped but I’ve yet to see SSD prices soar above what I paid to begin with. What do you consider to be significant?

my ssd. a 480gb sandisk cost me $100 at bestbuy 2 years ago. today that same ssd is $172 on newegg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173012

2017-10-08.thumb.png.3587c74bf3c356b7462bf6ec71c4cd58.png

2 minutes ago, seta-san said:

my ssd. a 480gb sandisk cost me $100 at bestbuy 2 years ago. today that same ssd is $172 on newegg

Could that be a sale, or perhaps an earlier version? Lot can happen in 2 years...

6 minutes ago, seta-san said:

Do you understand why? Older SSDs that are no longer built are limited stock. 

Point in case, these are both 500GB SSDs:

840 evo: $372.95

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADF3ZD3034&cm_re=840_evo-_-20-147-249-_-Product

850 evo $169.99: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02DV8166&cm_re=850_Evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product

I guarantee you I never spent that much on the 840 Evo I have laying around here somewhere. That costs more than my 960 Evo!

Plus look @xendrome's post about MSRP. You got a good deal back then.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Do you understand why? Older SSDs that are no longer built are limited stock. 

Point in case, these are both 500GB SSDs:

840 evo: $372.95

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADF3ZD3034&cm_re=840_evo-_-20-147-249-_-Product

850 evo $169.99: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02DV8166&cm_re=850_Evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product

Plus look @xendrome's post about MSRP. You got a good deal back then.

that makes no sense. shouldn't the older models be put on sale to clear out inventory ?

2 minutes ago, seta-san said:

that makes no sense. shouldn't the older models be put on sale to clear out inventory ?

I'm not a reseller, you tell me?

It is what it is. Maybe there is a compatibility issue somewhere?  No idea. But clearly SSDs have not jumped price appreciably. I am sure the price goes up and down at times, but it is not the trend for it to stay high. Buying older SSDs tends to cost more for whatever reason.

Just now, adrynalyne said:

I'm not a reseller, you tell me?

It is what it is. Maybe there is a compatibility issue somewhere?  No idea. But clearly SSDs have not jumped price appreciably. I am sure the price goes up and down at times, but it is not the trend for it to stay high.

it shouldn't be a trend they need to increase manufacturing to reduce prices. but I have a feeling like there is some patent ######ery going on that is artificially keeping the inventory low and the prices high.

Just now, seta-san said:

it shouldn't be a trend they need to increase manufacturing to reduce prices. but I have a feeling like there is some patent ######ery going on that is artificially keeping the inventory low and the prices high.

Well again, it only seems to affect older SSDs and history has proven that SSDs have improved with time so there is little reason to look back.

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Well again, it only seems to affect older SSDs and history has proven that SSDs have improved with time so there is little reason to look back.

for 2.5" ssds there's little to improve on. it's operating at near the sata bus' limit

3 minutes ago, seta-san said:

for 2.5" ssds there's little to improve on. it's operating at near the sata bus' limit

I wasn't talking about speed but instead reliability and performance over time.

Example:

Look at the 840 evo vs 850 evo, warranty wise.

The 840 evo had a nasty firmware bug too that would slow the drive down over time, which if memory serves, only was partially fixed.

That said, there is a large room for improvement even on sata SSDs. Sequential performance is but a portion of real life workloads. IOPs are arguably more important in many cases which is going to include more than sequential and is quite low right now, overall.

Am I a bad lad for having 6 in my main games rig? :p 8 in total in household tech, im such a dirty SSD ###### :p Only platter left in the house is the NAS.

17 minutes ago, Mando said:

Am I a bad lad for having 6 in my main games rig? :p 8 in total in household tech, im such a dirty SSD ###### :p Only platter left in the house is the NAS.

I've lost count how many I have. Last time I tried counting I counted around 30 (I say counted because I probably forgot some) and that was in 2015 .. probably over 40 by now :)

1 hour ago, pixelpixel said:

He only has 1 kidney to trade :)

Well he has other body parts, right? :shifty: