I want to buy an SSD. Do I need to sell a kidney?

Newegg posted this on FB:

For a limited time, get extra savings on one of our most popular solid state drives, the 500GB Samsung US 850 EVO SSD.

Use Promo Code: SSD3731009

Ends Oct. 14th ► http://ow.ly/Oisy30fOC71

Yeah, spill your kidneys.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:12 PM, seta-san said:

that makes no sense. shouldn't the older models be put on sale to clear out inventory ?

makes perfect sense, people raise prices because people who want exact matches to replace items will be willing to pay more... I have 10 5TB WD Red drives, 5B red drives are discontinued... I paid about $130 a drive when they were available, now I can expect to pay $200+ for the same drive new...

same goes for replacement parts....... HP server replacement drives (just an example because we have a ton of HP servers and ran into this a bunch) usually cost a LOT more after a couple years since they are now considered older models that they stock longer on their shelves for people who need 1 to 1 replacements of a part...

1TB Samsung 850 EVO on Amazon.

When I added it to my wishlist a looong time ago... it was $427

Now it's $327

LINK

On 10/5/2017 at 8:29 PM, The Evil Overlord said:

Personal favourite, install OS only

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-120GB-SA400S37-120G/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507249644&sr=8-1&keywords=kingston+ssd

Then any brand of mechanical hdd you prefer as secondary drives for applications, games, media, and storage.

In my opinion anything smaller than about 250GB is not worth buying. that's why i waited as long as i did (May 2015) to get a SSD as that was around the time prices started to get reasonable for quality 250GB range SSD's. 120GB is too small especially if you plan to at least install a game or two on it.

25 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

In my opinion anything smaller than about 250GB is not worth buying. that's why i waited as long as i did (May 2015) to get a SSD as that was around the time prices started to get reasonable for quality 250GB range SSD's. 120GB is too small especially if you plan to at least install a game or two on it.

That's fair enough, but I stand by my comment as I would prefer my games to be on a different drive to my ssd, which is why I recommended a 120bg ssd, then mech drives for everything else.
I have 30-60 second boots (depending on the computer's 'mood') which, in fairness is slower than that hybrid bootup some get with win10, but it's as fast and as responsive as any computer with similar processing power.
That and I still fear the limited read/write values of an ssd, so I don't see a reason to add more than is needed to it.

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

That's fair enough, but I stand by my comment as I would prefer my games to be on a different drive to my ssd, which is why I recommended a 120bg ssd, then mech drives for everything else.
I have 30-60 second boots (depending on the computer's 'mood') which, in fairness is slower than that hybrid bootup some get with win10, but it's as fast and as responsive as any computer with similar processing power.
That and I still fear the limited read/write values of an ssd, so I don't see a reason to add more than is needed to it.

Yeah, a SSD will definitely help all around performance of a computer. but another reason why i think it's somewhat pointless to get a 120GB over a 250GB range SSD is costs are not much of a difference (at least on the Samsung model which, the last i knew, was one of the better SATA SSD drives) but having 250GB gives you a little room to work with where as 120GB does not give much left over after the OS and some basic programs are installed. that's why i never bothered to get a SSD til prices of the 250GB ranges were reasonable (i.e. around $100 or so(i think i paid $120 for mine back in May 2015)).

but modern SSD's have plenty of writes(to my knowledge reading has no penalty, it's only writes) so worrying about failure from writes is basically a non-issue with modern SSD's (see my comments below).

I got a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and it's rated for i think 75TB of writes and that's actually a bit underrated from what real world results (at least on the tests i have seen where they write data to them until they failed) will be as it will likely go quite a bit beyond that before actual failure occurs. i have had that drive since May 2015 and the Samsung Magician software says i have written 7.9TB of data so far(but i typically use my regular hard drives for any heavier data writing to keep the wear-and-tear on the SSD down a bit). so as you can see i won't be wearing the drive out from writes for a long time to come. so unless your writing A LOT of data to it day-after-day it's not going to fail for many years. or look at it this way... if you wrote 40GB per day it would take more than 5 years before drive failure occurred from writing data to it. so at even 20GB a day (which i doubt the vast majority of people will even come close to this 20GB per day figure) your looking at at least 10+ years and i doubt many people can consistently write THAT much data to it day-after-day, probably not even close, which means those drives will likely make it a EASY 10+ years assuming the drives only fail from writing data to them.

so given that info... installing some games to the SSD is basically a total non-issue. you should not have to worry about it in the slightest with modern SSD's.

and one last thing... i don't know the exact details off the top of my head but i am pretty sure you want to keep a certain amount of free space on the SSD's at all times otherwise the drive can slow down. so that basically makes those 120GB drives even worse. like with my 250GB SSD i would imagine i probably want to keep at least 50GB+ free on it so help ensure performance etc does not suffer. maybe something like keep at least 20% of your drive free which means on my 250GB drive, keep at least 50GB+ of free space. on your 120GB that would mean keep at least 24GB of space free assuming that "don't use more than 80% of the drives capacity" is true. with that said... i am good because my 250GB drive is not even half full so i know my drives performance won't be effected due to lack of free space.

p.s. i also use my regular hard drives for some of my game installs to. but i do have some on my SSD.

Edited by ThaCrip

6 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

120GB does not give much left over after the OS and some basic programs are installed.

Not sure I agree with that at all.. All going to depend on what you do.. I have all my software installed - plus lots of stuff to play with, etc.  I have a 128G ssd, with overprovision set and still have 45GB free..

128GB.thumb.png.d145414845d2db8c01340aca8a6d3401.png

So the size you get depends on what you do, how much you want to spend, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Not sure I agree with that at all.. All going to depend on what you do.. I have all my software installed - plus lots of stuff to play with, etc.  I have a 128G ssd, with overprovision set and still have 45GB free..

At work, we use 128gb for most users.  With basic apps installed (Office, messaging apps, adobe acrobat, and a few others), which most users use, we have 70+gb left over.  Power users have 250 or bigger HDs.

@BudMan

Okay, i exaggerated a bit as what you say is true as i just checked my SSD (which has Windows 10 15063.674 on it) and if i removed the general Games folder (which is a hair over 83GB (i.e. 77.3 GB (83,017,192,838 bytes) ), which has some of the games i have installed on there(there is more on regular hard drives), my general OS along with my programs would be right around 38GB. so i guess you definitely do have ample space left if your not using it for modern games.

but as time passes the OS size etc tends to grow a bit. so i guess if you don't have much installed, or download any larger files(i am assuming you don't have a regular hard drive and only have the SSD), you CAN get by with 120GB.

either way, it don't make much sense getting a 120GB drive when the 250GB range ones are barely more $$$ and are at least twice the storage space. 250GB should keep you good for the foreseeable future unless you plan on installing modern games on it which can burn up a lot of space quickly. but even with games, at least 250GB is useable. it's the minimize size i would recommend to people as even those who don't game all that much might still download a fair amount of stuff and, assuming they don't have a regular hard drive, it's a good idea to get at least the 250GB range SSD's.

p.s. side note... if you never ran 'disk cleanup' on Windows it's a good idea to run from time to time as it can free up several GB as that seems to slowly balloon up as Windows runs Windows Updates over the months/years. i just ran it after the recent 15063.674 and it freed up roughly a couple of GB.

Idk. At work we get the 850 pro 256Gb drives. In the past month they went up a whole kidney. A whopping $10. Lol. Double the price it was before almost triple. What am I going to do, I know sell all 8 of my kidneys or maybe just sell my whole patch of kidneys. Beans don’t seem to sell too well these days. Gotta sell a lot of cans to make that 10 bux up.

• Haha 2

^ exactly... Shoot I just looked and 16GB of that is my freaking pagefile btw... Which for sure could be trimmed down..

I am sure I got a bunch of junk I could delete/move off to free up even more space.. All going to come down to what your doing - but saying 128GB is too small is not true at all.  That in mind I do have HDD that I use for junk, downloads, stuff playing with, etc. etc..  And then also have 6TB of storage on my NAS where movies and stuff are stored for plex, etc.

My esxi host has a 250GB SSD, has multiple VMs on it and its only using

250ssd.thumb.png.731d8b4f1d8eca8a993834fbbe2c16c0.png

All comes down to what you do - and to some point your data management skills ;)

I just looked and got that 850 pro back in oct 2015 and paid: Total Before Tax: $87.08

I do not recall what the 250 model was back then.. But I am fairly sure it was more than $10 or I would of gotten the 250 ;)

Now a days though the 250 size is pretty much default size is it not.. Not seeing a lot of 128 out there even any more at good price points.. I show the 250 for 129 and the 500 for 100$ more, etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Idk. At work we get the 850 pro 256Gb drives. In the past month they went up a whole kidney. A whopping $10. Lol. Double the price it was before almost triple. What am I going to do, I know sell all 8 of my kidneys or maybe just sell my whole patch of kidneys. Beans don’t seem to sell too well these days. Gotta sell a lot of cans to make that 10 bux up.

In my opinion the Pro drives are not worth it unless your writing boatloads of data to it as the Evo's are clearly the better buy. while i realize the Pro's do have higher write TB ratings and double the warranty length, is it really worth the premium price for them especially when it seems modern SSD's are supposedly quite a bit more reliable than SSD's from years ago that were so-so in reliability.

while i think the Pro's come with a 10 year warranty and the Evo's only come with a 5 year warranty, chances are those Evo's offer far better value for the $$$ spent than the Pro's do especially if your not writing boatloads of DATA to the drives.

just some quick stats... if you write 20GB EVERY SINGLE DAY to the 250GB Evo it will last more than 10 years before it fails based on failure from data writes only.

plus, in 10-15 years time, do you think you will still be using that 850 SSD drive? ; another reason i think a 10 year warranty is a bit overkill. but it would be nice if you could get 10 year warranties on regular hard drives for a reasonable price ;)

Currently on my 120 (128bg SSD) I have 60 gig free, and that's with all applications installed that I physically couldn't install on other drives.

When I had originally installed Windows on this rig, after it was fully up and running (all programs installed etc..) I had over 80 gig free, 

(I should have mentioned this in an earlier post, adding it now for posterity)

In my opinion the Pro drives are not worth it unless your writing boatloads of data to it as the Evo's are clearly the better buy. while i realize the Pro's do have higher write TB ratings and double the warranty length, is it really worth the premium price for them especially when it seems modern SSD's are supposedly quite a bit more reliable than SSD's from years ago that were so-so in reliability.

while i think the Pro's come with a 10 year warranty and the Evo's only come with a 5 year warranty, chances are those Evo's offer far better value for the $$$ spent than the Pro's do especially if your not writing boatloads of DATA to the drives.

just some quick stats... if you write 20GB EVERY SINGLE DAY to the 250GB Evo it will last more than 10 years before it fails based on failure from data writes only.

plus, in 10-15 years time, do you think you will still be using that 850 SSD drive? ; another reason i think a 10 year warranty is a bit overkill. but it would be nice if you could get 10 year warranties on regular hard drives for a reasonable price [emoji6]

To me the pros are worth it. While they are going into older computers, they do offer that extended warranty and you get a little more room. Honestly it isn’t that much more money for business use $20 more for 6gb and a longer warranty....you also get the ability to use the Samsung drive clone software with the pros, if that is something you are interested in; I attempted to use that with an evo and failed due to not being a pro.

On 06/10/2017 at 7:27 AM, xendrome said:

WTH are you even talking about, 50%... - https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

This is like the new Andrea Borman.

Let's calm ourselves here. Nobody can beat Andrea. She's a legend. She's the Michael Jordan of tech forums.

Could someone just lock this thread already?

Apart from some good conversation regarding ssd size, there's little else worth the effort of keeping the thread going, hell even the start of the thread was just the op trolling, and seeking attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I might have missed it OP, but what specification do you need or want?

Brand?

Size?

Form factor?

Budget?

AFAIK, he's talking about SSD's as a generalization, not targeting one type.

7 hours ago, sc302 said:

Kidneys just don't fetch the price they used to.

33 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Kidneys just don't fetch the price they used to.

What other body part does better? :laugh:

9 hours ago, BudMan said:

Agreed, i have 256 RAID0 SSD volume (2x123gb ) for win and apps, over provisioning and swapfile and still only use 34Gb

My games are on a diff raid SSD vol (4x256 raid0 striped)

123Gb is plenty for most for apps and OS.

C.thumb.png.c0dbb44ae4069686cdef5f632239a457.png

RAID.thumb.png.d2cdd48c4a96d400462e780cf6ecf738.png

Yes 4x256 probs seems overkill but having a 931Gb volume managing 2Gb/Sec R/Ws on my games vol is heaven :) I also got them at cost price back in the day.

I used to run W7 and apps on a 60Gb ssd and still had 30 Gb free

18 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

dual ssds minimum is even better buddy :) but yes having both on separate drives and controllers is a good benefit.

irrelevant these days buddy.

• Like 1