Simple wifi/router question, help a rookie out

Problem: win 10 removed wifi capability from itself after update, but my house has no ethernet ports (understand that the wireless router is downstairs, i am upstairs...so i cant run a cord directly as you normally would) After three remote sessions, microsoft told me im SOL in getting wifi functionality back up from within the OS (ridiculous huh). BUT...ethernet still works fine and dandy, as ive taken the machine downstairs and plugged it in cable style.

So....

What device would i need to to capture the wifi signal from downstairs, and output that through an ethernet straight into the back of my pc upstairs (working around win 10 sudden baffling inability to understand wifi)?

Im sick and tired of troubleshooting this from the win 10 perspective- the "product" is nothing but a nightmare and i just wanna circumvent its entirely, spending some cash if i have to.

I'll wait for BudMan or someone else on this, but to say the least... Why not move to Linux?

Thats what i was thinking, problem is i dont have a bootable usb and my disk drive is kaput. Id like to save some programs and files but ive got no external storage whatsoever. so idk how to save anything, I heard you can partition the hdd and install a new OS and mount the old data on the fresh one or something to thay effect but honestly thats way out of my understanding.

id get a new pc to replace my boat anchor of a rig and linux on it tomorrow if i had the money. 

If youre telling me i can install linux and be able to transfer personal files / programs from win 10 on it, with relative ease, then hell yes thats an option

Aha, its a known win 10 issue. After three different microsoft techs remote accessed my pc, four different chat sessions, a system restore, and a whole bunch else, they told me to 'wait for another update that will fix the issue'.   

Basically what happens is win 10 hides or deletes critical drivers randomly, for example mine started after a reboot. Hardware is fine, but suddenly the OS cant see it. Not even the manufacturer could successfully determine what driver i need (why not?!) and even if they could im pretty tech illiterate so even if was sitting on my desktop im not sure i could make it work.

Thanks everyone

In Windows 10, youre the operating system. It. Operates. You. 

Edited by Raiderscumbag

Would that require internet access on the pc to install/configure?

Would router compatibility be an issue??

Edit;Thanks for your patience, i have no xp with this kind of thing 

I think it depends on the wifi adapter. Router compatibility is likely not an issue but we have no idea what router you use.

Here's one where some reviewers say that it's plug-and-play. The generic Windows 10 drivers will probably get you online. Manufacturer drivers may enable additional features, or break things. You might consider downloading the manufacturer drivers from a networked machine for the specific device if you decide to buy one.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Archer-T4U-V1/dp/B00JBJ6VG8/

Another list.

www.edimax.com/edimax/post/post/data/edimax/global/windows10_support/

Edited by zhangm
  • Like 1

Hmm thanks alot z. Got a c1100z 802.11n century link router. And of course, no wifi driver/function in the pc, just to clarify again ethernet driver is fine.

But were talking a USB not a cable, so i might need something from online to get it going, is what im getting here?

If the thing needs its own driver from online or something thats not an issue because i can take the rig downstairs, plug it in the router, download the necessities, and then take it back up in wifi range once its functioning and be in business, is what im getting here correct?

As long as win 10 can interpret it without any wifi capability im golden

Once again, thanks a ton 

3 minutes ago, Raiderscumbag said:

If the thing needs its own driver from online or something thats not an issue because i can take the rig downstairs......

I was initially going to ask this, but refrained, if this is possible, try it, (might not need any extra hardware, unless you REALLY want it)

Yeah i mean if all i gotta do is get a wifi adapter, download a driver for it while its temporarily hooked up with ethernet, and maybe change a setting on my router or something thatd be relatively painless

Would you mind telling us some more details of the network issue that you're experiencing?

I don't think I have a good grasp of what the problem is from statements like "removed wifi capability from itself", "inability to understand wifi", "utilizing native wifi". Here are some things that I've thought of that might be similar to what you're seeing:

The wireless adapter in your computer is not detected. It doesn't show up in Device Manager, or the device is not correctly identified, or has an error/problem icon.

There is something wrong with the operating system - perhaps networking services are not turned on, or are not operating correctly. For instance, even though the wifi adapter in your computer is recognized, Windows is showing no networks detected, doesn't detect nearby wireless networks, or is unable to connect to networks that it sees.

I think I could be more confident of telling you a solution, if I better understood what you're seeing on your computer.

Edit: I suspect it's closer to the first issue in that Windows 10 doesn't recognize your existing wifi network adapter. In which case, a USB wifi adapter should fix it. If you purchase one that is "plug-and-play" like those in the Edimax table, you should just plug it in, the device will automatically be recognized and installed, and you'll be set.

Edited by zhangm

Win 10 randomly deleted wifi driver after rebooting from a proper shut down. manufacturer cant figure out what driver i need. Microsoft cant figure why or how to restore the driver. So no wifi functionality is possible. Essentially, the phrase 'wifi' is entirely absent from any menu or option screen. No networks, no adapter detected, no wifi option or acknowledgment in the bottom right.

The whole point of this is working around the issue entirely, as im 100 percent positive it isnt gonna get fixed, unless one of you is gandalf. It took them two years and countless remote accesses just to activate their "product" because they sold me a faulty key. I have zero interest in troubleshooting it from the pc itself at this point.

1. A USB wifi adapter should fix this issue.

2. No issues with compatibility with your wifi router. However, you would not benefit from some features of newer devices like 801.11ac, etc.

Coolio. Appreciate it a ton. Gonna look into linux as well. I dont care if bill gates astral projects out of my closet tonight and offers me the keys to his empire- im done with microsoft. 

Once again, thanks 

Give me your SR # in your Microsoft remote sessions.
I dont know what support method you were trying, but if you didnt have wifi, and no ports, how did they do remote session(s) ?

Ask to have your case escalated.

I am thinking there is more to this you have neglected to put into the thread.

As stated, i took the thing downstairs and plugged it straight from the router into the pc. It cannot remain downstairs, and There is no wall ports for phone or internet upstairs, and cant use wifi, even though i DO have a functioning router for this. All in the first post.

I didnt write down the case numbers. Never saw a reason to when those people are a dime a dozen and at the click of a mouse.

snip

Edited by zhangm
Do not bypass swear filter

Ok I skimmed over this pretty quick - and you say wifi doesn't work in win 10 currently..  But ethernet does - so simple fix vs trying to get some usb or wifi card to stick in that may or may not work because of whatever wifi issue is.   Just get a wifi bridge that will connect to your wifi and provide your machine ethernet connection.

Here is example product.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Extender-TL-WR802N/dp/B00TQEX8BO/

It has mode to act as wifi client and just provide your computer connected to it a ethernet connection.  The pc will have no clue its on wifi actually.

Your other option since you say you can not run a wire, is just get powerline adapters, another example product.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1200-Gigabit-PL1200-100PAS/dp/B01929ESG6?th=1

This allows you to plug into wall outlet near your pc, plug in ethernet cable.  Then put other one near your router and run wire to one of your router ports.  They do sell models that have pass through so you can still use the outlet for power of another device like your router or pc, etc.

I have not used these exact products, not saying these are the ones you should get - just that they are examples of the types of product that would solve your problem.

While they are not FREE solutions, they are fairly low cost - and there are cheaper options than what I linked too for sure.  Until such time as you can get a new rig..  Other option is yes you can install linux onto your pc from inside win 10 by just running say.. WUBI from ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

While that linked article does not list windows 10, simple google will show you lots of articles on how to install it from windows 10, and even with UEFI support, etc.