Sign in to follow this  

California wine country wildfires kill at least 10, force tens of thousands to evacuate

techbeck    4,979

Several raging wind-whipped fires killed at least 10 people and forced massive evacuations Monday in the area around California's world-famous wine country, as Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency and officials estimated at least 1,500 homes and commercial buildings were destroyed.

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Director Ken Pimlott said an estimated 20,000 people have been evacuated as 14 large fires are zero percent contained. The fires are burning throughout an eight-county swath of Northern California, including Napa, Sonoma and Yuba counties.

At least ten people have died as a result of the burning wildfires, officials said Monday night. The Sonoma County Sheriff's Office tweeted that seven deaths were reported in Sonoma County.

The California Fire Public Information Officer tweeted that two people are confirmed dead in Napa County, in addition to one death in Mendocino County.

More....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/09/california-wine-country-wildfires-kill-at-least-10-force-tens-thousands-to-evacuate.html

techbeck    4,979

11 reported dead now with about 100 missing.  Seems CA cannot get a break from wildfires.

techbeck    4,979

Trump approves federal major disaster declaration for California

Emn1ty    3,222

I have friends in the area. They weren't part of mandatory evactuation but they were getting completely surrounded by the fires. They left to avoid being blocked in and because the air quality was so terrible.

Also, Canyon Fire 2 in SoCal forced a mandatory evac for my parents and my sister. Thankfully the damage from this one is lesser but it was pretty scary starting off.

Glad we're getting help and there's such a great response to things both on a state and federal level.

techbeck    4,979

^

Glad everyone is ok.

Death toll is up to 31 now.  Cause is believed to be power lines last I checked.