• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Bird photobombs the Space Station and Sun in awesome photo

techbeck    6,925

1507648389055.thumb.jpg.7cef360f807dcea429d3277422875d60.jpg

Talk about timing! Photographers with the European Space Agency hoping to spot the International Space Station crossing the face of the sun got more than they bargained for in this sunny snapshot.

In the photo, which was taken in 2013 but only released by ESA on Wednesday (Oct. 4), a bird crosses the sun at the same exact time as the space station. The entire photo session lasted just 1.2 seconds, making it a challenge for the astronomy club at ESA's European Space Astronomy Centre near Madrid, Spain. [In Photos: Spotting Satellites and Spaceships from Earth]

"It requires planning, patience and a measure of luck," ESA officials wrote in an image description. "The camera must be set up at the right time in the right place to capture the Space Station as it flies past at 28,800 km/h [17,900 mph]. At such speeds the photographer has only seconds to capture the transit, and if any clouds block the view, [they'd have] to wait for another opportunity weeks later."

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/10/10/bird-photobombs-space-station-and-sun-in-awesome-photo.html

xendrome    5,533

spot = a bird?

techbeck    6,925
1 minute ago, xendrome said:

spot = a bird?

I guess.  one is the space station, the other the bird.  Shows the path of both.

xendrome    5,533
1 minute ago, techbeck said:

I guess.  one is the space station, the other the bird.  Shows the path of both.

Yeah I mean we can see the space station and obviously we know the location of it... but I am just questioning how they determined this was a bird and not some other object in the sky. And if it's a "bird" what are the other 2 dots in the picture.

techbeck    6,925
1 minute ago, xendrome said:

Yeah I mean we can see the space station and obviously we know the location of it... but I am just questioning how they determined this was a bird and not some other object in the sky. And if it's a "bird" what are the other 2 dots in the picture.

Ahh, ok.  Misunderstood.   Not sure what the other dots are...sun spots?

Jim K    13,683

Cool.

You can see the bird was moving from the bottom to the top in the image (wings/outline are better visualized towards the bottom) ... 

Probably a Booted Eagle. :shiftyninja:

techbeck    6,925
Just now, Jim K said:

Cool.

You can see the bird was moving from the bottom to the top in the image (wings are better visualized) ... 

Probably a Booted Eagle. :shiftyninja:

I had to zoom in a little, but I see it now.  The space station looks like a tie fighter if you don't zoom in.  haha