US adults are the fattest they've ever been

3 hours ago, Mando said:

of course, you dont see obese white people in the US........its the Hispanics fault......../shakes head 

White American's are statistically not much different, in terms of obesity rates, than their white European counterparts. Sure, obesity has increased in all ethnicities, but it is primarily Hispanic immigration into the United States which has pushed the U.S. into being near top-10 of obese countries. Hispanics and native Americans have "fat-hoarding genes" (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120724104434.htm) which white Europeans do not possess.

To go off in a tangent: this is a similar issue with math and reading scores by the way. The U.S. continues to fall in test scores when in fact, white Americans are no different now than they were in the 1940s. As a matter of fact, white Americans and statistically not much different than white Europeans and score around 94% in reading. It is Hispanic and black immigration which has pushed U.S. test scores way down. Whites made up 94% of the population back then and only 63% today. Also, the studies sample public schools, which Hispanics almost exclusively attend. Whites, on the other hands, are far more likely to attend a private school of some sorts, resulting in a oversampling of Hispanics.

Once you realize the United States is becoming significantly fragmented and appears much like the Austro-Hungarian Empire was, you'll see that it simply doesn't make sense to have a study generalizing Americans. Groups of people are too different.

Edited by Above The Gods
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Well here's today's "special award" post with a side merit of "here's a theory I found online"...

You shouldn’t be surprised, he takes every opportunity he finds to create racist comments against anyone and anything not white. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Above The Gods said:

White American's are statistically not much different, in terms of obesity rates, than their white European counterparts. Sure, obesity has increased in all ethnicities, but it is primarily Hispanic immigration into the United States which has pushed the U.S. into being near top-10 of obese countries. Hispanics and native Americans have "fat-hoarding genes" (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120724104434.htm) which white Europeans do not possess.

To go off in a tangent: this is a similar issue with math and reading scores by the way. The U.S. continues to fall in test scores when in fact, white Americans are no different now than they were in the 1940s. As a matter of fact, white Americans and statistically not much different than white Europeans and score around 94% in reading. It is Hispanic and black immigration which has pushed U.S. test scores way down. Whites made up 94% of the population back then and only 63% today. Also, the studies sample public schools, which Hispanics almost exclusively attend. Whites, on the other hands, are far more likely to attend a private school of some sorts, resulting in a oversampling of Hispanics.

Once you realize the United States is becoming significantly fragmented and appears much like the Austro-Hungarian Empire was, you'll see that it simply doesn't make sense to have a study generalizing Americans. Groups of people are too different.

Once you realise obesity is also a western hemisphere issue, almost as bad as the US of A also, plenty of us european whiteys are total fatties too! So can you enlighten me why its a hispanic thing?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Above The Gods said:

It's mostly because of immigration from Central America.

Oh, really?

Have you ever been to the South?

That has got to be the most obese region in the US.

13 hours ago, Mando said:

can you enlighten me why its a hispanic thing

Because he has found a "science" website that made a claim as to a theory relating to a possibility wrapped around conjecture that guessed this.  Oh, and it suits his anti-white agenda...

One of my American friends recently told me that originally the larger sized portions that America is famous/notorious for are based around an old idea that you'd eat what you needed and then take the rest home to reheat the next day as lunch.  This ties in with the anecdotal observation that "doggie bags" are significantly more common and less "looked down upon" in America than they are in the UK.

But then people stopped taking it home and just finished their plate.  I still find the idea of a child being forced to finish whatever's on their plate to be an odd concept.  Then again, I also tend to not have deserts.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:33 PM, neufuse said:

sometimes I wonder if meds docs push anymore cause some of the issues... I started having some odd stomach problems this year (I'm a skinny person, and have a low BMI to start with, always have) but my GI put me on three meds and in the first two months on them I gained 40 lbs doing nothing different then before...... 40! and I don't eat much either!

then I've also had friends put on meds for minor things and also start to get big weight gains...

docs seem to push pills so much anymore, I know the last time I was at my doc before I had a stomach issue I said about my back hurting sometimes (had it injured in high school, never took any meds for it) without any questions or exams just started writing a prescription and one of the side effects after I looked it up was tada... weight gain... never got it filled though, I can live with the pain.... 

I'm sure meds have something to do with it for some people, but not nearly as much as what the article indicates or is obvious.

Feel sorry for the 2 kids next door to me. I think it's their parents that don't allow them to go outside. Bet I haven't seen them outside playing a dozen times in the 11 years they've lived their!! One kid is probably 16 and other kid is probably 11 or 12.

I'm the same as far as being a skinny person and always have been but my BMI is spot on. If I were to gain 40 pounds, I believe my knees would simply buckle!!

When I was a kid, you couldn't get me to hang out in the house!! Still don't really like being cooped up all day.

For the vast, vast majority of people (there are a very small number of medical conditions that can cause weight gain) it's a simple equation. If you eat more calories than you use, you gain weight. The form of the calories isn't that important (although excess sugar has knock on effects like diabetes), but the amount is. People need to eat less, and exercise more. The eating less is more important than exercising.

Some people are lucky though and are 'naturally thin'. We all have different metabolisms. If you have a fast metabolism you can eat a bit more and not put on weight. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to change your metabolic rate, you have to play with the hand you were dealt. But it's also worth noting that the simple BMI check can be very misleading. I'm 6'1" (185cm) and around 230lbs (105kg), which by most measures means I am counted as obese. But if you saw me you probably wouldn't think so. I work out at the gym regularly, so I have reasonably good muscle bulk. It's covered in more fat than I'd like sure, so I'm working on that. I'd like to get under 200lbs (91kg), I think that'd be a good start for me.

For the vast, vast majority of people (there are a very small number of medical conditions that can cause weight gain) it's a simple equation. If you eat more calories than you use, you gain weight. The form of the calories isn't that important (although excess sugar has knock on effects like diabetes), but the amount is. People need to eat less, and exercise more. The eating less is more important than exercising.

Some people are lucky though and are 'naturally thin'. We all have different metabolisms. If you have a fast metabolism you can eat a bit more and not put on weight. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to change your metabolic rate, you have to play with the hand you were dealt. But it's also worth noting that the simple BMI check can be very misleading. I'm 6'1" (185cm) and around 230lbs (105kg), which by most measures means I am counted as obese. But if you saw me you probably wouldn't think so. I work out at the gym regularly, so I have reasonably good muscle bulk. It's covered in more fat than I'd like sure, so I'm working on that. I'd like to get under 200lbs (91kg), I think that'd be a good start for me.
Your last paragraph is incorrect metabolisms vary by an absolute max of 12% (obesity was one of my undergrad research topics). It's because it's a fairly simple chemical process at it's basic level.