Hyper-V Core -- Server 2016 Essentials as Guest & 2008 Guest?

I have a client with two physical servers running MS Server 2008.  One server is DC, AD, DNS, DHCP, File Server and the other is MAS200 Server They have downsized from 20 to 6 people.

My idea is to purchase Microsoft Essentials 2016 server and redo the domain controller part.  Then I'm going to convert the MAS200 physical machine into a virtual machine I can use in Hyper-V.

I want to install Hyper-V Core on the new server.  From there I would install Microsoft Essentials 2016 as a Guest and then insert the virtualized 2008 Server as 2nd Guest.

I've been reading how you can run Essentials 2016 Server as a host, but also a guest and then it gets weird with licensing where I'm not sure if I can run 2008 server as a guest.

I'm used to using ESXi and I know I can do this with ease, but want to do it the Hyper-V route (customer wants pure MS solution).  Seems like Hyper-V core is trying to be a type 1 hypervisor like ESXi.

Does anyone have experience with Essentials 2012/2016 and Hyper-V and know if this will work?

If not then I might just go the ESXi route.