• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Win10 restoring opened apps on boot/reboot

Question

riceBox    99

When I cold boot or reboot, all my previously opened applications automatically reopen. I've been searching Google for days on how to disable this and all I get is how to disable File Explorer restoring opened stuff on boot, and how to add applications on startup. I've attempted to replicate the issue using a VM with the same Win10 version, and I don't get the same behavior. Running Win10 fall creators update on SSD.

Is there a way to disable this session restoring behavior?

PaleWaffle    0
On 10/22/2017 at 6:11 PM, Anibal P said:

Crazy idea! 

close your apps before a reboot, it;s not going to kill you, but based on your reaction I'm betting it is going to be an "issue" for you 

Here's the thing though. I close all active windows (stuff visible on taskbar as an open program) and restart computer via clicking windows icon in bottom left, power, restart. Log back in, and the programs re-open. Not all of them re-open (after being closed before restarting!!) all the time, but chrome does. Without fail, chrome will open back to whatever tabs I had open, even after exiting chrome prior to restart. It's pretty ######## obnoxious, I prefer to open chrome when I have to, and navigate to whatever I need to rather than having to close out tabs I was finished with. Takes a lot of time and causes lag as well when windows decides to open other programs besides chrome. Sorry for the necropost.

riceBox    99

The restore registered apps on boot/reboot can be disabled starting on build 17040, by unchecking "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device..." in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Privacy. Doing the same thing on build 16299 doesn't affect the boot/reboot restore apps behavior.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/11/16/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17040-pc/

• Like 1

Matthew S.    332
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, PaleWaffle said:

Here's the thing though. I close all active windows (stuff visible on taskbar as an open program) and restart computer via clicking windows icon in bottom left, power, restart. Log back in, and the programs re-open. Not all of them re-open (after being closed before restarting!!) all the time, but chrome does. Without fail, chrome will open back to whatever tabs I had open, even after exiting chrome prior to restart. It's pretty ######## obnoxious, I prefer to open chrome when I have to, and navigate to whatever I need to rather than having to close out tabs I was finished with. Takes a lot of time and causes lag as well when windows decides to open other programs besides chrome. Sorry for the necropost.

Check your Chrome settings, I'm pretty sure I've seen a setting that would cause this behavior...

techbeck    6,175

Happens to me, randomly.  I notice it more when an update is installed or Chrome is having issues.  Never really cared to much since it happened a few times.