Okay! This...or...THAT! (SSD)

C-Squarez    458

Alright so in an attempt to find an excuse to spend a couple dollars, I notice my PC is acting all funny. Under load, LIGHT LOAD, there is a significant lag between PC response and user input. As I'm typing this, it isn't happening, but during random times of the day I notice when I go to type a response on Facebook or something my PC freezes for a split second and then inputs about75% of the letters I was trying to type. It's hard to explain. Then I'll hear a vibrating noise as if the PC is trying to work itself up. I'm quite sure it's the SSD, which is a Samsung 850 Evo 128GB because I have a WD Black, less than 2 months old for my games and a WD Blue for Torrent storage. which is less than 6 months old and the PC has been doing this before either of those components. I have an i5 6600K with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1060.

I have no idea why I think it's the SSD besides wanting to buy a new one. So I am considering these two SSDs and I'm weighing cost, size etc. If I go 500GB with the 850 Evo, I can move my games to that drive, move my torrents to the black drive and get rid of the blue drive since they are 1TB each. But for a little less money, I can get a 960 Evo with 256GB.

960 Evo

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508415527&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung%2Bm.2&th=1

850 Evo

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-850-evo-500gb-internal-serial-ata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops/1662009.p?skuId=1662009

I use my PC for mostly clerical stuff. Typing letters, spreadsheets, PDFs, LIGHT Photoshop and gaming but not HARDCORE gaming and my WD Black seems to handle everything fine. Warning! I didn't proof-read this because I'm headed to the gym and will read responses when I get back. As always, thanks and I appreciate you guys making sense out of nonsense for over 12 years.

Mindovermaster    920

That could be your CPU overloading, too. It freezes because all its resources are being used. You look at the Resource monitor? See what program/device is slowing you down.

• Love 1

Jim K    9,056

Why would the SSD be making "vibrating noises" ... no moving parts.  How does the health of it checkout (reported through Magician or other third party tools). You sure it isn't the HDD?  Any flood of errors reported in Windows event viewer (during these freezes)?

Regarding the SSDs you linked to. The 960 would be the higher performance choice (if you have nvme) ... obviously larger storage on the 850...but SATA.

• Love 1

Daedroth    437

Do you not want to troubleshoot the issue at all?

You've linked two completely different connectors with those drives. The 960 EVO is a NVMe - M.2. The 850 EVO is SATA III. Do you have a NVMe M.2 slot on your motherboard for the 960 EVO? If not, then you can rule that out.

• Love 1

C-Squarez    458
9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That could be your CPU overloading, too. It freezes because all its resources are being used. You look at the Resource monitor? See what program/device is slowing you down.

Didn't leave to the gym yet lol. Why would the PC be overloading? It's OC'd and there is nothing that taxing that I am running at the time for it to overload. That would be disappointing AF.

7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Why would the SSD be making "vibrating noises" ... no moving parts.  How does the health of it checkout (reported through Magician or other third party tools). You sure it isn't the HDD?  Any flood of errors reported in Windows event viewer (during these freezes)?

Regarding the SSDs you linked to. The 960 would be the higher performance choice (if you have nvme) ... obviously larger storage on the 850...but SATA.

Good point about the no moving parts, didn't even think about that. Health checks out fine for all drives and there were no errors when I checked. I'll try to keep an eye out though.

6 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

Do you not want to troubleshoot the issue at all?

You've linked two completely different connectors with those drives. The 960 EVO is a NVMe - M.2. The 850 EVO is SATA III. Do you have a NVMe M.2 slot on your motherboard for the 960 EVO? If not, then you can rule that out.

I mean, we can. Don't mean to sound careless about it but I didn't want to "waste" anyone's time although I know you guys enjoy helping. My board and processor were purchased Jan 20, 2017 so less than a year old and the board has 2 M.2 x4 slots. So I know it can support it, I'm just on the fence if it's worth it or not. If the input lag is something other than the current SSD, which is the oldest component in the build, then I'll fix that first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017E0MA8S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mindovermaster    920
1 minute ago, C-Squarez said:

Didn't leave to the gym yet lol. Why would the PC be overloading? It's OC'd and there is nothing that taxing that I am running at the time for it to overload. That would be disappointing AF.

Could be a virus that is doing it. Could be a background program that is going haywire. Troubleshoot everything, it could surprise you.

• Love 1

Astra.Xtreme    2,135

Unplug the HDDs and see if the problem persists.  Those are the bottleneck in your PC, so if they spool up and down, it can cause freezing.

Bad RAM can also cause issues with lag or freezing or intermittent BSODs.  Do a Memtest or run your PC with a single stick at a time and see if it improves.

Sometimes whine comes from a failing PSU.  Usually it makes noise if it's overloaded, but maybe it's just on it's way out.  Only way to verify is to put in a new one though.

Or it could be a virus/malware on your system.  Since you do torrents, it's pretty easy to get infected.

The SSD is probably the most reliable thing in your PC, so I highly doubt that's the problem.  Especially a good brand like Samsung.  A SSD typically just works or doesn't work, and there isn't a middle area.

• Like 3

xendrome    4,446

Just FYI the 960 EVO does about 3000MB/s vs the  850 at about 500MB/s

• Like 1

PsYcHoKiLLa    1,592

Vibrating noise is probably the CPU cooler whirring up the fan, I'd agree with checking whether it's overheating. You also said it's overclocked, have you tried a stress test to see if it's actually a good overclock? Also, if you mainly use it for clerical type stuff and not gaming, why bother with an O/C? MS Word ain't exactly gonna task the CPU that much.

• Haha 1

Mindovermaster    920
10 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Just FYI the 960 EVO does about 3000MB/s vs the  850 at about 500MB/s

Well, yea, they're different architectures... SATA vs M.2

• Like 1

adrynalyne    8,154
48 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, yea, they're different architectures... SATA vs M.2

Well, different connector types anyway. M.2 and SATA can be running on the same bus and provide the same performance. 

What you meant is that it was SATA 3 vs NVME. 

• Like 2

Mindovermaster    920
13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Well, different connector types anyway. M.2 and SATA can be running on the same bus and provide the same performance. 

What you meant is that it was SATA 3 vs NVME. 

meh, everything is SATA to me... :laugh:

• Like 1

C-Squarez    458
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Could be a virus that is doing it. Could be a background program that is going haywire. Troubleshoot everything, it could surprise you.

I don't know if this is allowed, so I'll tread carefully. But you know how some files say "Turn off your anti-virus" because of a false positive? I don't EVER trust that so if I have to turn off my AV, I'm not touching it. I know it still doesn't mean I am safe so I will run webroot as deep as it will go including boot scan.

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Unplug the HDDs and see if the problem persists.  Those are the bottleneck in your PC, so if they spool up and down, it can cause freezing.

Bad RAM can also cause issues with lag or freezing or intermittent BSODs.  Do a Memtest or run your PC with a single stick at a time and see if it improves.

Sometimes whine comes from a failing PSU.  Usually it makes noise if it's overloaded, but maybe it's just on it's way out.  Only way to verify is to put in a new one though.

Or it could be a virus/malware on your system.  Since you do torrents, it's pretty easy to get infected.

The SSD is probably the most reliable thing in your PC, so I highly doubt that's the problem.  Especially a good brand like Samsung.  A SSD typically just works or doesn't work, and there isn't a middle area.

Okay, I'll unplug the drives 1 by 1 and see what I get. The blue drive only spins at 5400 RPM so that might be an issue. And it's more of a vibration than a whine.

1 hour ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Vibrating noise is probably the CPU cooler whirring up the fan, I'd agree with checking whether it's overheating. You also said it's overclocked, have you tried a stress test to see if it's actually a good overclock? Also, if you mainly use it for clerical type stuff and not gaming, why bother with an O/C? MS Word ain't exactly gonna task the CPU that much.

This was hilarious lol. Sometimes I play games, not TOO much. Playing Wildlands and Andromeda right now with everything maxed out. I agree though, I probably don't use half the power of the rig.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Mindovermaster    920
9 minutes ago, C-Squarez said:

The blue drive only spins at 5400 RPM so that might be an issue. And it's more of a vibration than a whine.

That doesn't matter...

Mockingbird    2,072

This is not an SSD issue.

PsYcHoKiLLa    1,592

The behaviour you're describing sounds like it might be the CPU overheating, do you notice a kind of stuttering when you are trying to perform tasks? You said there is a delay in typing sometimes, please check the temps on the CPU just to remove that as a cause.

+goretsky    711

Hello,

If you open the Task Manager and look at the Performance tab, is anything showing unusual activity (spiking upwards, etc.) on any of the items in the left pane (CPU, Memory, Disk N, etc.)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

+Mirumir    5,226

There's no comparison here. The 960 evo wins, hands down. It's much faster. An NVME drive is a better choice by default.

Under load, LIGHT LOAD, there is a significant lag between PC response and user input. 

I had issues in the past when my PC would act weird when it was just warming up, the first couple of minutes after turning it on. It's quite unusual, but it happens. In my case it was because of me experimenting with custom BIOS settings when I was overclocking.

Why would the PC be overloading? It's OC'd

Since you are overclocking, you should turn it down a bit. Turn off any accelerators or boosters, disable the turbo mode, disable the intelligent overclocking features, etc. Instead, try setting your PC to a normal or standard mode of operation and then try loading a default XMP profile. This way, your RAM, CPU, and chipset will operate at the most optimal settings.  From my experience, it's a much more preferable option compared to OCing or just loading the default settings in BIOS (which should be your first troubleshooting step).

• Love 1

C-Squarez    458

Kept everything the same and guess what it was? The optical Bluray drive. That was the source of the vibration and the slowdown. Funny, ain't it? Thanks folks! Still gonna probably buy that SSD tho. Just tryin to figure out which one.