Playboy to Feature Its First Transgender Playmate

50 minutes ago, Mando said:

sorry what? youve lost me mate.

People are buying a magazine to perv at fake body parts, whether she is transgender or not, your still looking at fake bodyparts. you reckon all those boobies are real in playboy? pfft No wake up and smell the coffee, it aint 1969 anymore!

His point is, people buy Playgirl for the male junk and people buy Playboy for the lady parts. This doesn’t really fit the profile. There should be a third magazine, called Playguess :D

5 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

His point is, people buy Playgirl for the male junk and people buy Playboy for the lady parts. This doesn’t really fit the profile. There should be a third magazine, called Playguess :D

Why not give them their own magazine?

13 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

So much for live and let live.....

If it bothers you guys that much, don't buy that issue... wtf's the big deal? 

It’s not. It’s the people in this thread who feel the need that people should accept it regardless of their feelings about it that is keeping the fires burning. 

I just wont buy it and that’s that. I don’t need someone to tell me that I should accept it. That’s a personal decision. 

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s not. It’s the people in this thread who feel the need that people should accept it regardless of their feelings about it that is keeping the fires burning. 

I just wont buy it and that’s that. I don’t need someone to tell me that I should accept it. That’s a personal decision. 

Well those people on that opposite side can feel free to add me to their lists, I intend to buy a copy on the grounds that I support lgbt rights.

If I'm entitled to live on this planet on the grounds that I am a human being, then in my eyes, so are they.

Lets face it, it affects little, only scenario I could think where it might matter would be...

If one was thinking of pursuing a relationship with a trans partner, I'm sure they would know their partner is trans, (be it via intuition, or from being fortold) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Well those people on that opposite side can feel free to add me to their lists, I intend to buy a copy on the grounds that I support lgbt rights.

If I'm entitled to live on this planet on the grounds that I am a human being, then in my eyes, so are they.

If one was thinking of pursuing a relationship with a trans partner, I'm sure they would know their partner is trans, (be it via intuition, or from being fortold) 

Yeah but what does this have to do with lgbt rights? Nobody says there cannot be a transgender mag out there. I don’t care what their preferences are, that is their right and I respect it. However, to pretend you are a woman while being a man (sorry but dna is dna and gear changes won’t change that) just to get into a magazine that is understood to be real women, that is forcing beliefs on someone else, is it not? It feels like trickery. Will the magazine start being called Plaything so that all genders and gender identifications are included? There would be no confusion then. 

32 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

So much for live and let live.....

If it bothers you guys that much, don't buy that issue... wtf's the big deal? 

To me, it's just the principle of the thing. We are talking about Playboy. I have no problem with a transgender person being featured in a publication but why playboy? Besides the articles (which apparently are amazing), it's a magazine men have been buying to look at women who were born with the XY chromosome.  They don't want to see a dude converted into a female. If they wanted to see that they would be buying a completely different magazine.

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Yeah but what does this have to do with lgbt rights? Nobody says there cannot be a transgender mag out there. I don’t care what their preferences are, that is their right and I respect it. However, to pretend you are a woman while being a man (sorry but dna is dna and gear changes won’t change that) just to get into a magazine that is understood to be real women, that is forcing beliefs on someone else, is it not? It feels like trickery. Will the magazine start being called Plaything so that all genders and gender identifications are included? There would be no confusion then. 

This rolls back to my previous comment though, if it is a problem for some, they could simply not buy it, and life continues..

I haven't read anywhere that this is going to be a regular or permanent feature, they're trying something, it'll either take off, or tank. 

History is a great teacher like that. If it tanks, they won't do it again... again, life continues.

Just like this thread, give it a week, and it'll die, (or get locked out due to hosile comments or w/e)

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

To me, it's just the principle of the thing. We are talking about Playboy. I have no problem with a transgender person being featured in a publication but why playboy? Besides the articles (which apparently are amazing), it's a magazine straight men have been buying to look at women who were born with the XY chromosome.  They don't want to see a dude converted into a female. If they wanted to see that they would be buying a completely different magazine.

Please see my reply above. 

(Saves me from double posting (Y) )

• Like 3

This rolls back to my previous comment though, if it is a problem for some, they could simply not buy it, and life continues..

I haven't read anywhere that this is going to be a regular or permanent feature, they're trying something, it'll either take off, or tank. 

History is a great teacher like that. If it tanks, they won't do it again... again, life continues.

Just like this thread, give it a week, and it'll die, (or get locked out due to hosile comments or w/e)

Fair enough points. 

No hostility here btw :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Lets face it, it affects little, only scenario I could think where it might matter would be...

I don't think anyone here is disputing your position on lgbt rights,  what many are speaking of decision to change something that they have bought into. Others are correct too when they say you don't have to buy the magazine, that too isn't the issue. The issue is simply no one wants to be lied too. By buying a playboy magazine, one has the base assumption it has 100% genetically born women, not women by design or chemical definition. This is the only objection I see from my standpoint as well. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Please see my reply above. 

(Saves me from double posting (Y) )

And for those that have/had subscriptions to the magazine? They get it weather they want it or not and they paid well in advance, again, if they wanted it or not.

Just now, Rippleman said:

The issue is simply no one wants to be lied too.

Who's being lied to? They publicly announced this issue. You don't think they're going to make a write up on the front cover with it as well? LOL

Just now, trag3dy said:

weather they wanted it or not.

Then throw it in the trash. How about that? No one's forcing you to actually open the magazine. If anyone has an issue with it, cancel your subscription.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

And for those that have/had subscriptions to the magazine? They get it weather they want it or not and they paid well in advance, again, weather they wanted it or not.

From the subscribers I know, they usually just put the mag back into a plastic wrapper and keep in the hope of it being worth something in the future..

I intend to buy this one, as it is a milestone moment for playboy, for that very reason.

(Another part of me sees it as a 'where were you when this happened' moment, and I'll have something resembling proof)

From the subscribers I know, they usually just out the mag back into a plastic wrapper and keep in the hope of it being worth something in the future..

I intend to buy this one, as it is a milestone moment for playboy, for that very reason.

(Another part of me sees it as a 'where were you when this happened' moment, and I'll have something resembling proof)

Playboy isn't the only one going for a milestone here. :p

• Haha 1

You know, folks ... never have I EVER felt more uncomfortable or unwelcome at Neowin than I do at this very moment, now that I know how a lot of you folks really feel about Transpersons.

/sigh ...

No need to show me the door. I know where it is.

/wave

3 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

You know, folks ... never have I EVER felt more uncomfortable or unwelcome at Neowin than I do at this very moment, now that I know how a lot of you folks really feel about Transpersons.

/sigh ...

/wave

Wha?? Dude, no need to leave, it's a discussion about opinion, I value your opinon as much as I value anyone else's, I disagree with a lot of members on a lot of forums, doesn't mean I hate them because I disagree....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

/sigh ...

/wave

Don't let it hit you on the way out. No one here is saying that a trans cannot be in a magazine or have I noticed anyone saying anything really disgusting about them, other than they aren't attracted to them or they shouldve considered creating a new magazine to cater to them. IMO, it is disgusting that we cannot have our own opinions, you and a few others want to label us because we arent males who are attracted to other males who happen to look like females. It is a two way street and you are making me feel uncomfortable for sharing my opinion. I said it at the start of this thread, I don't find women who were once men attractive, but everyone can have their own tastes.

@DConnell how about you join the discussion if you disagree with something

Edited by Circaflex

19 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

/sigh ...

/wave

Wow, you clearly misunderstood the discussions. 

46 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Who's being lied to? They publicly announced this issue. You don't think they're going to make a write up on the front cover with it as well? LOL

Then throw it in the trash. How about that? No one's forcing you to actually open the magazine. If anyone has an issue with it, cancel your subscription.

They’ve publicly announced it, but are they going to list the model as transgender or will they pass him off as female? Honest question, I wonder what they will do. 

45 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

They’ve publicly announced it, but are they going to list the model as transgender or will they pass him off as female? Honest question, I wonder what they will do. 

At a guess. Introducing Ms. Ines Rau, our first 'blah blah blah... was once blah blah blah', then go on to a 'q and a' segment about her life and experiences.....

(on the grounds of current gender, and probably not make a huge deal about it)

1 hour ago, Unobscured Vision said:

/sigh ...

/wave

Grow some thicker skin. Not everyone is going to conform to your world views. Especially on the internet.

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

Why not give them their own magazine?

You would think that would be the obviously solution if there was demand for such a thing. But my guess is that there isn't. Or at least they don't represent enough of the market (with less than 1% representation in the general population) for them to make it feasible.

Just now, trag3dy said:

You would think that would be the obviously solution if there was demand for such a thing. But my guess is that there isn't. Or at least they don't represent enough of the market (with less than 1% representation in the general population) for them to make it feasible.

'Ladyboy' type magazines already exsist, they're extremely niche, but they exsist. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to have trans models, (heck, maybe they already do) but this seemed more like a statement from playboy, that they wish to try something different.

(In some parts of Europe I'd wager they are more readily available).

'Ladyboy' type magazines already exsist, they're extremely niche, but they exsist. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to have trans models, (heck, maybe they already do) but this seemed more like a statement from playboy, that they wish to try something different.

(In some parts of Europe I'd wager they are more readily available).

I think that just like when they tried to go non-nude it's not gonna make the statement they want it to. Alienating your core audience hasn't been a good idea since pretty much forever.

• Like 2