Screw the WD EX2Ultra!

C-Squarez    458

I'm frustrated guys. I bought this damn thing and I have 8TB of storage that I can't even use because it isn't transcoding fast enough for even a 8GB file. Just ran a speedtest and as of RIGHT NOW I'm getting 243Mbps down and that should be good enough to Plex some damn videos. I have to direct stream in order to get SOME videos to work and even then, I can't use sub titles and some moveis lack sound because, life. So I am thinking to just move the drives BACK to my PC and leave it running when I want to run Plex because this is more of a headache than anything else. Y'all have any tips so I don't use this thing, that is less than 2 months old, as target practice for my AR-15? Thanks AS USUAL!

+Fahim S.    906

You say an 8GB file, but what is the file? Encoding, duration, bit rate, etc?

what are you trying to stream it to?

• Like 2

Mindovermaster    920

Yeah, how is it connected, what format are you connecting? We need more info.

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,018

Are your issues happening when you play content locally (on your own lan) or when you are away? It sounds like the unit cannot transcode quick enough or is not powerful enough to transcode to that setting. If you are playing these files locally, try using the "original" setting. If you are away and want to watch over the internet, try the new "automatic" setting that was recently implemented into Plex and Plex Web.

That unit only has the ARMADA 385 dual-core 1.3GHZ CPU, it is entirely possible this unit is not strong enough to transcode your content. The 385 is arm v7 instruction set compliant though. We will need more info.

here is a good post from a plex employee

Your requirements are direct bound to your players. If your players and Smart TVs are capable of playing MKV, then your major "problem" is solved. Best practise is to have the Plex client installed on these players which then supports co called DirectPlay. DirectPlay will not cause any transcoding but simply plays the content "as is".

Remind that MKV is not a codec but a container. Inside any MKV, there is at least the encoded video stream and the encoded audio stream. So your player has to support the codecs that are in the MKV, for example H.264 or H.265 for video and some audio codecs. If your player does not support these codecs natively, you will get an error like "video codec not supported" or "unknown audio codec" from your player and Plex may offer transcoding - which will (not may) cause problems if your CPU is to weak to do this on the fly (EX2 Ultra's CPU is ARM which is too weak, My CLoud PR2100 is Intel Quad-Core with GPU and powerfull enough for transcoding but a bit more costly than My Cloud EX2 Ultra). If you know that your players can support your codecs in use, you will not run into any problem with My Cloud EX2 Ultra.

File sizes of several dozen Gigabyte are no matter as these files will be streamed, not copied. Even several streams (you wrote 2-3 simultaneously) are no issue as the bandwidth needs per stream are very low in a cabled network. If you are on Wifi network with only one access point, several streams may be not possibile due to the bandwidth limitations of Wifi. If you have cabled connection, there are no bandwidth issues.

Edited by Circaflex
  • Like 1

C-Squarez    458

8 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, how is it connected, what format are you connecting? We need more info.

It's connected by Ethernet to my eero but streamed to my TV through Roku. The format is MKV.

8 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Are your issues happening when you play content locally (on your own lan) or when you are away? It sounds like the unit cannot transcode quick enough or is not powerful enough to transcode to that setting. If you are playing these files locally, try using the "original" setting. If you are away and want to watch over the internet, try the new "automatic" setting that was recently implemented into Plex and Plex Web.

That unit only has the ARMADA 385 dual-core 1.3GHZ CPU, it is entirely possible this unit is not strong enough to transcode your content. The 385 is arm v7 instruction set compliant though. We will need more info.

here is a good post from a plex employee

Only when I play content locally and try transcoding it. When I direct play it's flawless but I can't use subs at all and some videos have no sound. I can, and have played 30GB REMUX's with no issue as long as it's direct play. So I face an issue since as you pointed out, it's really not strong enough to transcode the content, I can direct play everything or put the HDDs back in my tower and just keep my tower on.

Edited by dipsylalapo

HoochieMamma    531

You want to make sure you direct stream everything, even with my 5 bay Synology NAS I hate it when a movie is transcoding. What Roku do you have? They are usually very good with media support and don't require transcoding.

• Like 1

C-Squarez    458
1 minute ago, HoochieMamma said:

You want to make sure you direct stream everything, even with my 5 bay Synology NAS I hate it when a movie is transcoding. What Roku do you have? They are usually very good with media support and don't require transcoding.

Didn't you always have Family Guy characters as your AVI? Oh and I have the Insignia TV's for 4 of my bedrooms with the Roku built in. 2017 models. The living room downstairs is a Vizio M65 or something like that so it all streams from my tablet which isn't all that great. But I have a PS4 and XB1 hooked up to that TV so either one of them can do Plex.

HoochieMamma    531

Nah Mr T and all of a sudden it changed, I'll sort it out when I have time lol

With the version of Roku you got you can see the specs on what it can hardware decode. Then use MediaInfo on the mkv file you have to see what codec its using and make sure it can be decoded.

The PS4 and xBox same issue? Maybe the files you get from now on should be from a well known scene group as I never have any problems with mine and I use my 3 year old TV to decode via Plex!

• Love 1

C-Squarez    458
3 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

Nah Mr T and all of a sudden it changed, I'll sort it out when I have time lol

With the version of Roku you got you can see the specs on what it can hardware decode. Then use MediaInfo on the mkv file you have to see what codec its using and make sure it can be decoded.

The PS4 and xBox same issue? Maybe the files you get from now on should be from a well known scene group as I never have any problems with mine and I use my 3 year old TV to decode via Plex!

That's who it was! No the XB1 and PS4 are great with Plex, when it ran from my PC. The weak link is this damn NAS box.

Edited by dipsylalapo
  • Like 1

HoochieMamma    531

No that site is fine there are others but mainily have the same files. You should be good.

Do the Xbox and PS4 transcode or direct play? If they direct play then it has to be the hardware decoding capabilities with the TV/Roku inbuilt. If they transcode as well thats real strange. Maybe set it to direct play in plex before you play instead of auto?

C-Squarez    458
3 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

No that site is fine there are others but mainily have the same files. You should be good.

Do the Xbox and PS4 transcode or direct play? If they direct play then it has to be the hardware decoding capabilities with the TV/Roku inbuilt. If they transcode as well thats real strange. Maybe set it to direct play in plex before you play instead of auto?

I haven't streamed to either since I got the NAS tbh. When I set to direct play in my bedroom, there is NO issue regardless of file size. I'm testing this theory right now. I'm about to attempt to stream a 51GB file, direct play, to see how the network handles it. If it streams flawlessly, which I think it will, then I am going to find the right files to just direct play and forget about transcoding.

• Like 1

HoochieMamma    531

Yeah exactly. You don't want transcoding.

Do whatever you can to make it direct play!

• Like 1

DKAngel    188

can you just not install kodi ?

Circaflex    3,018
4 minutes ago, DKAngel said:

can you just not install kodi ?

And what good would that do? If the OP already has Plex setup, no reason to switch. I was a long time Kodi fanboy, still use it, but Plex is so much easier to maintain and share, especially over the internet.

C-Squarez    458

Yeah I had a Kodi box, hated it. I actually pay for Hulu, Hulu Live TV, Netflix, HBO, Lifetime Movies etc because of ease of use. Kodi was a headache.

DKAngel    188
12 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

And what good would that do? If the OP already has Plex setup, no reason to switch. I was a long time Kodi fanboy, still use it, but Plex is so much easier to maintain and share, especially over the internet.

except if you have problems , it might not be the server problem, i have a plex server here run plex of my smart tv and everything skips, but run everything from a small kodi box even using the plex plugin and everything plays fine, the plex player is as bugger as anything , i cant get plex to play anything on my android boxes properly but using kodi+plex plugin everything is flawless

DKAngel    188
10 minutes ago, C-Squarez said:

Yeah I had a Kodi box, hated it. I actually pay for Hulu, Hulu Live TV, Netflix, HBO, Lifetime Movies etc because of ease of use. Kodi was a headache.

having kodi and actually paying for all of those has nothing to do with this could still use kodi and pay for all of that was not suggestion otherwise, try using kodi with the offical plex plugin to see if the actual plex player is at fault also

• Like 1

C-Squarez    458
4 minutes ago, DKAngel said:

having kodi and actually paying for all of those has nothing to do with this could still use kodi and pay for all of that was not suggestion otherwise, try using kodi with the offical plex plugin to see if the actual plex player is at fault also

Pay? Who said pay? You are making the block hot right now man!!! :shiftyninja:

Thanks for the tip. If this direct stream stuff doesn't work out, I know what's next.

DKAngel    188
Just now, C-Squarez said:

Pay? Who said pay? You are making the block hot right now man!!! :shiftyninja:

Thanks for the tip. If this direct stream stuff doesn't work out, I know what's next.

i only mentioned kodi as i have problems with plex across so many devices, whilst it is great to use sometimes it justsnt work :/

• Like 1

C-Squarez    458

Currently streaming a 51GB file with NO problems. It looks like my bedroom TV is HDR because the HDR badge doesn't show up on my computer. Welp, looks like I'll just direct play UHD REMUX files from now on.

dipsylalapo    951

Topic cleaned

The discussions are pirated material (regardless of how subtle) are obvious. ;)

Let's try and keep away from that please :)