• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are you buying an iPhone X? Which one?

Are you buying an iPhone X? Which one?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JayZJay    56

I am more curious as to if those in the U.S. are planning on buying an iPhone X right away or as soon as possible, but I am also interested in what everyone in general thinks.  Obviously, this poll would yield different results if posted on a Mac/Apple-centric forum.  Thanks in advance to everyone for the feedback.

shockz    5,290

Keeping my eye on launch, if there aren't any issues or "-gates" after the first few months, I'll probably jump back into the iPhone world. My Pixel is on it's last leg after only a year and hoping whatever my next phone is lasts 2-3 years. 

Will be space gray, 64gb if I do.

• Like 1

Human.Online    8,076

Yes I am.  Basically ASAP and the 256 version.

I am not and have never been "that guy" who awaits the release of a new phone.  I update my phone when I NEED to rather than being driven by supposed technology "improvements" - but in this instance, my existing 3 year old phone has significant hardware damage that I have been limping by with for the last 6 months, and it made sense (to me) to await the X.

Mockingbird    2,529

Apple has apparently gotten more greedy under Tim Cook.

Prices of iPhone, iPad, and Mac are all going up.

Remember that the iPhone used to cost $599.

+warwagon    12,773

I would have also liked to see the choices

I'm not buying one

I'm buying the 8 and not the X

The day I spend $1,000 on a phone is the day someone can take me out back and shoot me.

chingon    22

I have a 6s plus and will probably no longer go the iPhone route.  I like it, but I have a mac and like it and decided to go windows which I like.  Am bailing on apple.

+JHBrown    13,104
On 10/24/2017 at 7:21 AM, Mockingbird said:

Flagship phone prices are rising with other companies as well.

Space Gray 64GB, immediately.

techbeck    6,715

waste of a $1000.  Apple has gotten way to expensive.  Shall see how the X will do.  Last time I checked, the iPhone 7 is outselling the iPhone 8.  If it is a sign of things, I don't see the X doing much better.  But shall have to see.

• Like 1

T3X4S    4,532
On 10/24/2017 at 9:21 AM, Mockingbird said:

Do you really think the cost model is as linear as "price goes up because of greed of new leadership" ?

The Evil Overlord    18,440
15 minutes ago, techbeck said:

waste of a $1000.  Apple has gotten way to expensive.  Shall see how the X will do.  Last time I checked, the iPhone 7 is outselling the iPhone 8.  If it is a sign of things, I don't see the X doing much better.  But shall have to see.

Basic common sense, yes it's nice, yes it's new, but it is basically, a prototype, I personally would wait to a second gen x before I'd consider getting one.

T3X4S    4,532

THe main aspect I always liked on the Samsung phones over the iPhones was the OLED.  Now that the iPhone has an OLED, Im buying it based on that.

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

THe main aspect I always liked on the Samsung phones over the iPhones was the OLED.  Now that the iPhone has an OLED, Im buying it based on that.

Only concern I have at this moment would be a lack of optimisation around the notched area when the phone is displaying at full screen (portrait or landscape, doesn't matter)

I've seen a few theories on it and a few workarounds that were pretty cool on youtube, one concept was that in landscape view, accessing contacts, the contacts would 'nudge over' so as to be fully visible even when scrolling to accommodate the notch.
Without having one to test, I cannot say one way or the other, but if implemented, it would be a nice feature.

• Like 1

T3X4S    4,532
2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Only concern I have at this moment would be a lack of optimisation around the notched area when the phone is displaying at full screen (portrait or landscape, doesn't matter)

I've seen a few theories on it and a few workarounds that were pretty cool on youtube, one concept was that in landscape view, accessing contacts, the contacts would 'nudge over' so as to be fully visible even when scrolling to accommodate the notch.
Without having one to test, I cannot say one way or the other, but if implemented, it would be a nice feature.

I totally agree.  I wont blindly buy the X simply because of the OLED.  If I get to the Apple store and see that notched area bugs the hell outta me.  I'll stick with my 6 Plus.  

As far as the poll - I always opt for the smaller capacity phones.  I have only a few apps that I use daily, I cant stand bloat/clutter.  Besides all my photos, music, files are all on my cloud - so no need for a bunch of storage.

A friend of mine has his 256GB completely full of games.  hundreds of games - he has no idea what he has & what he doesnt have.  Makes no sense to me.  But my anal ways about clutter and cleanliness on a computer stem from the DOS days where one had to clean memory and remove programs just in order to run Win3.1 - old habits die hard.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

I totally agree.  I wont blindly buy the X simply because of the OLED.  If I get to the Apple store and see that notched area bugs the hell outta me.  I'll stick with my 6 Plus.  

As far as the poll - I always opt for the smaller capacity phones.  I have only a few apps that I use daily, I cant stand bloat/clutter.  Besides all my photos, music, files are all on my cloud - so no need for a bunch of storage.

A friend of mine has his 256GB completely full of games.  hundreds of games - he has no idea what he has & what he doesnt have.  Makes no sense to me.  But my anal ways about clutter and cleanliness on a computer stem from the DOS days where one had to clean memory and remove programs just in order to run Win3.1 - old habits die hard.

I've got you beat, msdos 5 and win 3.0 on an old Tatung 80286, with a turbo button :p 
Don't get me wrong, I like the x, but agree with another user in the front page about blanking the ears in landscape mode (and a few other things)

• Like 1

dragontology    442

Nah. I think it's a good looking phone, but my 6s still runs great. I've never had a smartphone run just as good 18 months in as it did the day I first got it. Longest I've had any smartphone is a day over two years, and it was the only non-flagship I owned. I carried it that long because I had to. Every other one, I've found a way to trade up early. And every smartphone before this, I've gone months of "I can't wait to get rid of this f—ing thing."

I used to be an iPhone hater, and there are days when I wish my iPhone would do something that was easy on Android. They aren't many, and they're far between, but they do happen. These days, I just enjoy having a more basic phone that just works. The iPhone X doesn't offer anything I can't do now. It might have a camera trick or two I can't do now. It's definitely faster. I'm waiting to hear just how good Face ID is. I'm skeptical. I like Touch ID. Anyway, I'm hoping the 2019 or 2020 iPhone is something I want, and I hope my 6s lasts that long. I kind of hope Google has their s— together by then, but I'm not holding my breath. Android is cool, but it's a little too bleeding edge for my money. I'd rather see Apple slowly add features to iOS than have an Android flagship that s—s the bed after a year, year and a half.

spacelordmaster    63

Never seen the point in paying $300 more for an iPhone that has the same, exact specs as the iPhone 8 Plus, with the exception of a brighter screen and face recognition. No thank you. I will stick with my 8 plus.