Displayport vs HDMI vs DVI

Can someone explain what the differences are between Displayport, HDMI and DVI connections? My GPU has the outputs and my 4K monitor has them as well, I am currently connected via DP, but am wondering if there's any differences?

these days, DVI is an all-but-dead connector. For computer monitors, HDMI and DP are the most prevalent. The differences in specs b/w the two are such things as max resolution, max refresh rate and, of course, max bandwidth.

on my monitor at home, i use HDMI to my desktop's GPU and DP to my laptop.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Can someone explain what the differences are between Displayport, HDMI and DVI connections? My GPU has the outputs and my 4K monitor has them as well, I am currently connected via DP, but am wondering if there's any differences?

The differences are minor tbh, all 3 are digital connections, however, HDMI and Display port multiplexes audio with the video signal, whereas DVI does not, its video signal only.

current HDMI standards dont support 4k @60hz (usually 4k@30hz), but Display port does. Current DP specs allow higher bandwidth and on some displays, you can daisy chain multiple monitors via DP to each other.

As Britbronco states, stick with Display port mate. 

Technically, DVI is the same as HDMI. Just HDMI carries sound as well.

DP is a different architecture. It can take higher resolutions.

From what I undserstand.

• Like 2

Just now, Mando said:

The differences are minor tbh, all 3 are digital connections, however, HDMI and Display port multiplexes audio with the video signal, whereas DVI does not, its video signal only.

current HDMI standards dont support 4k @60hz, but Display port does. 

As Britbronco states, stick with Display port mate. 

HDMI - sure it does. HDMI 1.4 allowed 4k @ 30Hz and HDMI 2.0 allows 4k @ 60Hz

• Like 2

Just now, Jason S. said:

HDMI - sure it does. HDMI 1.4 allowed 4k @ 30Hz and HDMI 2.0 allows 4k @ 60Hz

doh right enough, thanks Jason, i forgot about HDMI 2.0. depends if his monitor is 2.0 though.

2 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

these days, DVI is an all-but-dead connector.

Yea, some monitors ares not including the DVI anymore.  Like Dell.  Just VGA, DP, and HDMI in some cases.  Surprised VGA is still supported.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yea, some monitors ares not including the DVI anymore.  Like Dell.  Just VGA, DP, and HDMI in some cases.  Surprised VGA is still supported.

Yikes, VGA? Curious why those old technology links don't just die off.  Same idea as when I see many modern motherboards still have the PS/2 port.  I guess there must be a benefit somewhere, right?

Just now, Astra.Xtreme said:

Yikes, VGA? Curious why those old technology links don't just die off.  Same idea as when I see many modern motherboards still have the PS/2 port.  I guess there must be a benefit somewhere, right?

yep, VGA still has its place, sure its woeful, but its still available on a lot of Tvs, monitors and even LED projectors.....its a last resort in the workplace, but sometimes its all you have. re: PS/2 i was gobsmacked when i built my Strix H sig machine, it had 2 PS/2s.....like wtf :p 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mando said:

yep, VGA still has its place, sure its woeful, but its still available on a lot of Tvs, monitors and even LED projectors.....its a last resort in the workplace, but sometimes its all you have. re: PS/2 i was gobsmacked when i built my Strix H sig machine, it had 2 PS/2s.....like wtf :p 

Most laptops still have VGA ports, for connecting to older projectors.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

We're having the opposite problem at my work place.  A lot of people here have Surface Books or Surface tablets and struggle to connect in a couple of the conference rooms that have VGA-only projectors.  My new laptop only has a lightning port and HDMI. We've had mixed success with adapters.  I think it's time for a new projector. :) 

2 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

We're having the opposite problem at my work place.  A lot of people here have Surface Books or Surface tablets and struggle to connect in a couple of the conference rooms that have VGA-only projectors.  My new laptop only has a lightning port and HDMI. We've had mixed success with adapters.  I think it's time for a new projector. :) 

Well, yeah... HDMI and VGA don't pay well with each other.

11 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

ive had superb success with the following adapter in those scenarios. with wall mounted projectors and even promethian whiteboards....infact that specific model ive handed out to all my directors with their swish laptops and SP4s/docks in meeting rooms, i was very sceptical after trying far too many different types.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderbolt-Adapter-Displayport-Converter-Thinkpad-Black/dp/B00WB25B6S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509047326&sr=8-7&keywords=mini+displayport+to+vga+adapter

surprised how good they have been after trying too many other types. Lindy etc pfft nah. Those linked above gets the Mando "twa thumbs up!" award.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

From what I undserstand.

DVI can also support higher resolutions at higher refresh rates, HDMI cannot.

Just now, xendrome said:

DVI can also support higher resolutions at higher refresh rates, HDMI cannot.

It can? Huh... You learn something everyday, I guess...

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

1 hour ago, Mando said:

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

VGA needs to die and they need to decide on a standard.  Laptops we order at work do not even have them anymore.  Just DP and HDMI.  What annoyed the hell out of me was that we now have to use their USB C docks...and it has a DP, HDMI, and a damn VGA port.   Screw VGA and give me another DP or HDMI.  I am getting really annoyed having to buy DP to HDMI, HDMI to DP, DP Mini to HDMI, HDMI Mini to DP Mini, VGA to DVI.....you get the idea.  Adapters all over the damn place.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

VGA needs to die and they need to decide on a standard.  Laptops we order at work do not even have them anymore.  Just DP and HDMI.  What annoyed the hell out of me was that we now have to use their USB C docks...and it has a DP, HDMI, and a damn VGA port.    I am getting really annoyed having to buy DP to HDMI, HDMI to DP, DP Mini to HDMI, HDMI Mini to DP Mini, VGA to DVI.....you get the idea.  Adapters all over the damn place.

Agreed! I cant see it any time soon though tbh. 

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

VGA needs to die and they need to decide on a standard.  Laptops we order at work do not even have them anymore.  Just DP and HDMI.  What annoyed the hell out of me was that we now have to use their USB C docks...and it has a DP, HDMI, and a damn VGA port.   Screw VGA and give me another DP or HDMI.  I am getting really annoyed having to buy DP to HDMI, HDMI to DP, DP Mini to HDMI, HDMI Mini to DP Mini, VGA to DVI.....you get the idea.  Adapters all over the damn place.

What is the point of those "Mini" varients? Why can't we just stay with HDMI/DP?

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What is the point of those "Mini" varients? Why can't we just stay with HDMI/DP?

Because things are getting smaller and smaller.   They should just go all wireless.  Which is eventually what I think will happen.  But probably be a while.

13 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Because things are getting smaller and smaller.   They should just go all wireless.  Which is eventually what I think will happen.  But probably be a while.

It sort of is already in place, if one can make tablet computers seamlessly connect to main rigs, and run as second screens, (very loosely like the second screen option on the PS4)

Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

It sort of is already in place, if one can make tablet computers seamlessly connect to main rigs, and run as second screens, (very loosely like the second screen option on the PS4)

It is available now.  But I don't think the quality is there just yet.  But I have not looked in to it for a while.

30 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

i actually quite like the mini-DP port, small , unobstrusive and easier to integrate on slimline devices. id ratherit  became the defacto standard over HDMI/DP, I just wish 4K Tvs had DP i could save a bunch with a 4K big TV instead of waiting for a HDR monitor and keep my 1080p 27" for windows work. Heck chuck in G-sync onto a Tv unit and im sold BIG time.

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

From what I undserstand.

DisplayPort and HDMI are basically a draw; DisplayPort does NOT always (or even most of the time) support higher resolutions than HDMI.  Where it does, it is because the HDMI port itself is hobbled.

DVI has replaced D-sub as a video-only display input - for instance, my GTX 1050Ti lacks D-sub completely, and supports DVI-D.  (I use HDMI - as my old display lacks DisplayPort.)

• Like 2