My Intel 2 Quad Core Q6600 is only showing 2 cores on task manager and device manager,

Hello guys

Ive been having this problem from the last weeks, my intel quad q6600 is showing 2 cores instead of 4.

Ive tried everything what other threads explained, but my cpu is still bugged.

Maybe its the Windows 10 thats causing this issue. Please give me a solution please.

Thanks

No point at this juncture

the cpu isn't exactly new, and windows 7 is about as done as it gets, even though I'm still using it, it's almost not worth the effort of a reformat, for basically a couple of years and a bit worth of use.

Is the power setting set to high performance?

(To be honest, it doesn't matter too much if cores are parked under idle state)

(That would only matter under high load)

How many processors are listed under device manager?

Is processors limited in msconfig?

misconfig > Boot > Advanced Options > "Number of processors" should be unchecked

Is your machine activated? 

Certain versions of 10 revert to Windows 10 Core until you do. Im unsure the core count support in Core. 

The Q6600 uses a technique of combining 2x 2core cpu dies into one quad core chip, so what might have happened is one of those has actually failed and is no longer functioning while the other one remains operational, so you see this as only 2 cores now reported by the system.

• Like 1

you could always try downloading one of the various linux live discs and seeing if all CPUs show up there, if they do you know it is something with your Windows install, if they dont show up under Linux I would assume something is disabled in BIOS or a hardware failure has begun.

Hello,

If you go into Task Manager (filename: TASKMGR.EXE), click on the Performance tab, then click on the CPU item in the left pane, it should show the CPU's performance as a single chart in the right pane.  Below that it will list values for Sockets, Cores and Logical Processors.  What are those?

Now, go ahead, and right-click on any part of the right-pane, and a context menu will come up, with the first option being Change graph to >.  Use that to choose Logical Processors.  How many graphics are now displayed in the right pane?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

31 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

*crickets* from the OP - this thread is toast.

I imagine he found the setting that he messed with and changed it back.
NEXT !

Or just maybe that 6600 is a...

... Blast From The Past...

11 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Aaahhh  I see what you did there.  Clever...very clever :yes:

Without Dimensions there is no space...

In a Dimension that has a large Heart, Richard Feynman and Carl Sagan still live. In this Dimension, T3X4S knew the correct spelling of Feynman's name leading him to play the following video backwards:

which provided the essential clue to decode the hidden message here:

which he knew would work if he disabled 2 cores on a Quad 6600 to create the correct harmonic effect which he calculated a potential to cross the inter-dimensional event horizon to alter in just the right sequence, the neuron quantum state of the counterpart T3X4S, leaving just a thought revealed as if through a cloud, darkly.

18 hours ago, DevTech said:

Without Dimensions there is no space...

In a Dimension that has a large Heart, Richard Feynman and Carl Sagan still live. In this Dimension, T3X4S knew the correct spelling of Feynman's name leading him to play the following video backwards:

which provided the essential clue to decode the hidden message here:

which he knew would work if he disabled 2 cores on a Quad 6600 to create the correct harmonic effect which he calculated a potential to cross the inter-dimensional event horizon to alter in just the right sequence, the neuron quantum state of the counterpart T3X4S, leaving just a thought revealed as if through a cloud, darkly.

LOL - Oh man all this time, I never noticed I typo'd FeyNman's name.  Thats embarassing (and unacceptable) consider I admittedly have a postmortem mancrush with the guy.
(Y)

Between your poetic techno-mindtrip, and the Autotuned Carl Sagan... I need to go down to the street corner and score some herb .

Feynman's bongo session "I gotta have it, Orange Juice" is pretty good stuff too.
But I have to admit, your creative mind-bending, alternate dimension storytelling is better. Well done.

10 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

LOL - Oh man all this time, I never noticed I typo'd FeyNman's name.  Thats embarassing (and unacceptable) consider I admittedly have a postmortem mancrush with the guy.
(Y)

Between your poetic techno-mindtrip, and the Autotuned Carl Sagan... I need to go down to the street corner and score some herb .

Medical, right? ;)

Just now, T3X4S said:

Ahem *cough*  yes...of course  *cough*  I have cataracts. -.-

Reminds of the blind guy from the Simpsons, "it's medical, if I don't smoke it, I'll go more blind!"

• Like 2