Truck attack in NYC

Breaking

West Side Highway bicycle path, near Stuyvesant High School. Home Depot sign on a rental truck.

Deliberate act

Driver shot twice by cops after   shouting "allahu akbar," displaying a fake gun. Arrested, survived so far.

FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force involved.

6 dead, 15 injured. 

Cops: "Act of terror"

Edited by DocM

What a nice coincidence in a time when autonomous vehicles are being promoted by the MSM and government that we have repeated news on acts of terrorism being perpetrated by people driving vehicles.  It would not surprise if at some point in the future we'll see some kind of law that will ban most if not all of manual driving, and as always, all in the name of fighting terrorism

You'd have to wonder where this will stop.  How far do they intend to go to fight terrorism?  As far as I'm concern, terrorism is act of violence stemming forth from hatred.  How do you actually fight something you cannot see, and is present in all of us more or less?  One of the only ways it could ever happen is in a totalitarian state where everything you do or say is monitored and controlled.  Remember the movie Demolition Man anyone?

• Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Tahaha said:

You'd have to wonder where this will stop.  How far do they intend to go to fight terrorism?  As far as I'm concern, terrorism is act of violence stemming forth from hatred.  How do you actually fight something you cannot see, and is present in all of us more or less?  One of the only ways it could ever happen is in a totalitarian state where everything you do or say is monitored and controlled.  Remember the movie Demolition Man anyone?

Stop bombing countries half-way across the world?

Fact: since America started it's war on terror, there has been more terrorists created.  People shouldn't be surprised by all these terrorist attacks.

24 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Stop bombing countries half-way across the world?

Fact: since America started it's war on terror, there has been more terrorists created.  People shouldn't be surprised by all these terrorist attacks.

I agree. 

So who benefits most from all these acts of terrorism?  Why government of course, they become more and more powerful with each piece of legislation that passes.  It would be reasonably logical to surmise that these acts of terrorism could very well be a way for the government to prod us all along slowly into accepting more and more of big brother, because clearly, we can no longer be trusted to make choices in life anymore at some point based on the direction we're headed.

But yet, we are to trust them almost without question, and these are the same human beings that are also subject to extreme acts of hatred and violence as most of us now are considered to have...

Just food for thought...

Edited by Tahaha
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tahaha said:

I agree. 

So who benefits most from all these acts of terrorism?  Why government of course, they become more and more powerful with each piece of legislation that passes.  It would be reasonably logical to surmise that these acts of terrorism could very well be a way for the government to prod us all along slowly into accepting more and more of big brother, because clearly, we can no longer be trusted to make choices in life anymore at some point based on the direction we're headed.  Just food for thought...

Agreed.  It's much easier to enact policies when people are frightened.  

• Like 3

NYPD briefing

"Cowardly act of terror"

8 dead, 12+ injured

"New Yorkers do not give in"

3:05 entered path, hit people, hit bus, got out of truck, yelled, displayed pellet & paint ball gun and was shot in abdomen by cops.

1 hour ago, Tahaha said:

You'd have to wonder where this will stop.  How far do they intend to go to fight terrorism? 

In the near future, there will be black boxes (similar to flight recorders) installed into each vehicle.

Speed cameras will become obsolete (but they will still be installed on every corner for surveillance) because on-board computers will be sharing data with authorities online and as soon as a traffic infraction is detected, a fine will be sent electronically. Drivers will be notified of new fines received on their dashboards while driving!

Make the guy better, then send him off to gitmo or better yet, tie pork chops around his neck and drop him in shark infested waters.

4 hours ago, wv@gt said:

Looks like many of those injured were pedestrians and cyclists in the bike lane.

Yup.  Every one of these attacks are done by a bunch of cowards. 

Surprise, surprise....

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/What-We-Know-About-Suspect-Battery-Park-City-Tribeca-Terror-454320243.html

The 29-year-old man detained after a flatbed truck drove down a popular lower Manhattan bike path, killing at least 8 people and injuring more than a dozen more,

left a note in the truck claiming he committed the attack for ISIS, according to law enforcement sources. 
>

But I thought we weren't supposed to politicize these events right away. I mean didn't Fox news and the President after the Vegas Shooting say we we're not supposed to / couldn't talk about a single bit of action to help prevent 

I've not seen a way to address these kinds of low-level attacks without just mass banning entire demographics, and even then they can lie to get in. I certainly don't have a solution. It would just be tremendously impossible to stop someone from getting in, getting a vehicle and killing a lot of people - and if you do mass ban them, you're going back to making them use planned attacks that could be chemical weapons or other mass destruction. I don't think that even placating them internationally would be effective; Europe is under just as much a hole as we are. Probably worse off, given international commutes in the EU.

12 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm surprised rental companies haven't already started to implement tight vetting procedures before renting vehicles out. 

But how would they do that? This guy had lived in the US for 7 years legally and had a job working with Uber.

Stop him renting a vehicle because he's from Uzbekistan?

22 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

But how would they do that? This guy had lived in the US for 7 years legally and had a job working with Uber.

Stop him renting a vehicle because he's from Uzbekistan?

I was thinking mainly as a knee jerk reaction.  People tend to act after things like this without really thinking it through and end up implementing really bad procedures or laws.  Take the PATRIOT act as an example. :p

• Like 2

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

I was thinking mainly as a knee jerk reaction.  People tend to act after things like this without really thinking it through and end up implementing really bad procedures or laws.  Take the PATRIOT act as an example. :p

Unfortunately when there are attacks with things likes cars/vans it's near impossible to stop or prevent. 

Sure let's put a control over guns, acids, explosive substances but how do you control things like car rentals, people buying knives/chainsaws etc without really disrupting us regular folk who just want to rent a car?

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Unfortunately when there are attacks with things likes cars/vans it's near impossible to stop or prevent. 

Sure let's put a control over guns, acids, explosive substances but how do you control things like car rentals, people buying knives/chainsaws etc without really disrupting us regular folk who just want to rent a car?

That is exactly the point the terrorists have figured out. I suppose it is an extension of what has been happening to Israel for a long time, and they need a damn near police state to guard a small fraction of the border we have. So the terrorists have switched from big targets to lots of small targets - the intent of terror stays the same.

9 minutes ago, Skull and Bones said:

so NY is a democratic state. Time for a republican mayor/ gov and then we’ll talk. 

Going republican does exactly what for this situation?

• Like 3