Tiger Woods announces return to golf at 2017 Hero World Challenge in November

Tiger Woods announced on Monday that he will officially make his return to professional golf in late November at his own charity's event, the 2017 Hero World Challenge.

Woods, who has not played competitive golf in nine months and was just recently given the all-clear by his doctor to play, is a five-time winner of the event and will compete along with 17 of his peers from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3 in Albany, Bahamas. His announcement came, hilariously, from a committee of one.

"I am excited to return to competitive golf at the Hero World Challenge," Woods said in an announcement. "Albany is the perfect setting and it will be great to join this outstanding field. I want to thank Pawan Munjal and Hero MotoCorp for their continued support of this tournament and my foundation. I would also like to thank the fans for their unwavering support during my injury."

Joining Woods in the loaded field are Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, Jason Day, Rickie Fowler, Brooks Koepka, Matt Kuchar, Justin Rose, Alex Noren, Marc Leishman, Tommy Fleetwood, Francesco Molinari, Patrick Reed, Charley Hoffman, Kevin Kisner and Daniel Berger.

Woods withdrew from the Desert Dubai Classic after one round at the beginning of 2017. He shot a 77 in the first round, and he has not played a round on either the European Tour or PGA Tour since. He underwent his fourth back procedure in April, a fusion surgery that he said alleviated him of a lot of pain in his body. 

Read the rest here, https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/tiger-woods-announces-return-to-golf-at-2017-hero-world-challenge-in-november/

This is great for golf, Tiger sure does move the needle. I hope he can finish this tournament. One of, if not the greatest ever, to play the game.

• Like 1

nice!

i'd love to see him get back to his earlier days of winning every tournament. His body is not the same as it was 15yrs ago, though. If he can stay healthy through a single season, it'd be a miracle.

Glad to see he's still trying to make a comeback and hopefully the latest surgery is a success.  I was bummed when he pulled out of 2017 and I wasn't able to see him at Erin Hills.

He's definitely the reason I became interested in playing golf when I was younger.

4 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

nice!

i'd love to see him get back to his earlier days of winning every tournament. His body is not the same as it was 15yrs ago, though. If he can stay healthy through a single season, it'd be a miracle.

I think many of us would love to see that, being realistic I just hope he can finish a tournament and do so with zero to little pain.

4 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Glad to see he's still trying to make a comeback and hopefully the latest surgery is a success.  I was bummed when he pulled out of 2017 and I wasn't able to see him at Erin Hills.

He's definitely the reason I became interested in playing golf when I was younger.

Same here, I loved watching every Sunday with my dad. If Tiger was wearing red, you knew he was going to put on a show. He made golf "cool" for many kids growing up and helped give inspiration to many minorities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Same here, I loved watching every Sunday with my dad. If Tiger was wearing red, you knew he was going to put on a show. He made golf "cool" for many kids growing up and helped give inspiration to many minorities.

Tiger always wears red on Sunday when he's in a tournament. No matter what.

• 4 weeks later...

Tiger is looking like the old big cat! He has looked impressive these two rounds, he is swinging the club freely and doesn't seem to be wincing after every shot. I hope he can go through the weekend and recover for the next tournament.

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Tiger's single-game handheld consoles are coming back, for some reason
      by João Carrasqueira

If you grew up in the 1990s, you may remember a line of handheld consoles that was developed by a company called Tiger Electronics. These consoles were standalone games, meaning you didn't go and buy cartridges and swap them out at your own will - each unit had a single game that you could play on its monochrome display, and some of them were actually based on relatively popular franchises.

If you've recently found yourself yearning for that bit of nostalgic throwback in your life, Hasbro, who absorbed Tiger Electronics back in 1998, is bringing the standalone consoles back, as first reported by The Verge. Just like before, the handhelds will feature a monochrome LCD screen that displays the game on top of a colorful printed background, similar to how some digital watches display time. On each side of the screen are some buttons, including a directional pad on the left side and action buttons on the right.

Just like before, each unit includes a single game and its appearance is based on the included game. Right off the bat, Hasbro has scored some notable licenses, meaning there will be games based on The Little Mermaid, Transformers: Generation 2, X-Men Project X, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Each unit costs $14.99, and they're already listed on GameStop's website through the links above, though there's no clear release date yet.

It's certainly curious to see this kind of low-end hardware come out in 2020, but this is all about feeding off of nostalgia. Bandai Namco did something similar in 2017 when it released a new version of the iconic Tamagotchi. Presumably, there must have been some degree of success there if other companies are following suit.

• By Jazmac
      Tiger Woods produced a scintillating finish to win a fifth Masters title and end an 11-year wait to claim a 15th major.

There were raucous celebrations around the 18th green as Woods finished with a two-under-par 70 to win on 13 under, one clear of fellow Americans Dustin Johnson, Xander Schauffele and Brooks Koepka.

Overnight leader Francesco Molinari's hopes sunk with two double bogeys on the back nine and he had to settle for a share of fifth on 11 under.
      Woods, written off by so many so often as he battled back problems in recent years, punched the air in delight, a wide smile across his face, before celebrating with his children at the back of the green.
      "I'm a little hoarse from yelling," said the 43-year-old. "I was just trying to plod my way around all day then all of a sudden I had the lead.
    • By boydo
      Nintendo reveals next NES titles coming to Switch Online service next week
      by Boyd Chan

Nintendo Switch Online has been up and running for roughly two weeks and, to entice Switch owners to check it out, has offered a seven-day free trial of the service. Perhaps one of the more interesting aspects of the subscription service, aside from cloud backups of save game data, has been the ability to access a selection of NES titles, of which twenty were made available at launch. Now, that is set to increase with a handful of extra games being added.

Next week, Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will be able to play NES Open Tournament Golf, puzzle game Solomon's Key, and Super Dodge Ball from October 10. Perhaps the most poignant of the three titles is NES Open Tournament Golf which was the sequel to Golf, both of which were programmed by the late Nintendo President Satoru Iwata back in the '80s and '90s. The original Golf was seemingly included as an easter egg inside the Nintendo Switch's code before its removal in a later system software update.

The latest additions will bring the number of available NES games up to 23 with more games in the pipeline, with Metroid and Ninja Gaiden destined to make their debut, amongst other titles, on the online service in November and December respectively.

Source: Nintendo (Twitter) via GameSpot

• By Timi Cantisano
      Nintendo kills hidden Satoru Iwata tribute in recent Switch update
      by Timi Cantisano

It was only a couple years ago that Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata passed away at the age of 55. After the release of the Nintendo Switch, it was discovered that there was a small tribute to Iwata embedded in the system software in the form of the 1984 NES game Golf.

Despite it being discovered, it required a specific set of criteria to be unlocked. For a majority of Switch owners, this wasn't possible, as connecting the console to the internet automatically updated the date, but the Easter egg required the console to be set to July 11. While players eagerly awaited for July to roll around to gain access, it looks like Nintendo has now removed the game in a recently distributed Switch update.

With update 4.0.0, the game has effectively been removed, along with all of the code and its executable file. This was discovered by the Switch Brew community on December 23. While it is unknown whether Nintendo will bring this back in a future update, those who never got an opportunity to see it in action can look at the video above to see the complicated procedure to access the game.

Source: Nintendo Switch Brew via Polygon | Image via Nintendo Life

Don't forget to follow us @NeowinGaming on Twitter to keep up to date with our gaming coverage!

• By Timi Cantisano
      Neo Turf Masters set to arrive to the Nintendo Switch on March 23
      by Timi Cantisano

If you're a fan of retro titles, the Nintendo Switch has quite a few offerings in its library like The King of Fighters '94, NAM-1975, Metal Slug 3, and more. Now, Hamster Corporation is bringing another classic to the console in the form of Neo Geo Turf Masters.

Neo Geo Turf Masters was originally released in 1996 and is considered to be an arcade-style golf game with easy to learn controls and fast-paced play. Although pricing has not been released, it should come in at a similar price point to previous retro releases but will differ by region. The game should hit your local eShop starting on March 23.

While we wait for more first-party and original games to arrive, Nintendo has been pretty good about getting new releases to its store and has added several indie titles over the past couple weeks. The firm has pledged that 60 titles will make its way to the console by the end of the year.

Source: Hamster Corporation