Upgrade advice please!

It's been roughly 7-8 years since I built my 990X based system. I'm thinking it is time to upgrade. My plan is to find a mobo, CPU, and ram. Am I forgetting anything? I have s decent corsair 1,200 watt PSU which I assume is fine but I'm not sure if it has the right connectors for modern mobo's.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent combo that would be a good step up from an 8 year old i7 extreme? I like Asus mobo's but I'm open to anything.

10 minutes ago, Xahid said:

What's your approx. budget to spend?

and preference, Intel only? or are you open to AMD Rysen?

Great question. I do a lot of gaming, regular and VR. Is Ryzen comparable to Intel for that stuff? 

Budget, I have about$500 saved up right now but I can spend more if needed. I don't want to budget too low and get subpar performance.

Just now, xendrome said:

For gaming, Intel.... single core performance is better. $500 will get you a motherboard or an i7 CPU

I thought mobo's were in the $200 range. It's been so long since I built though

15 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Great question. I do a lot of gaming, regular and VR. Is Ryzen comparable to Intel for that stuff? 

Budget, I have about$500 saved up right now but I can spend more if needed. I don't want to budget too low and get subpar performance.

You should increase the budget, because that 500$ only good for GPU VR Ready, I believe 1070 6GB is your buddy for VR.

But for Intel/AMD you have to increase the budget or forget about VR, Just 1080p Ultra performance can be gain using AMD/Nvidia 1060 combination.

Ohh, I forget, you're only looking for CPU/Mobo/RAM.

AMD Rysen 1700/Asus PRIME X370-PRO/DDR-4 16GB,  will be under 500$ I believe with excellent performance.

Edited by Xahid

Well 500 isn’t going to get you very far. Proc i7 extreme is about 300 alone. Depending on memory, that is about 200. You can do a budget extreme for 1000-1500 but I don’t see one at 500

Yeah I didn't think $500 would go very far. Any other opinions on Ryzen for gaming? I do already have a 1080 and a Vive right now.

EDIT: Computer parts ads are now showing up in my Facebook feed. Weird how the internet knows what I am talking about. I didn't post anything on Facebook about it...

4 minutes ago, Xahid said:

I suggest This Combo

That looks nice. I'm pretty sure I would need a new PSU for that right? 

Also, my 8 year old i7 extreme is 3.4 GHz , is that Ryzen @ 3.0 still a step up?

4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

That looks nice. I'm pretty sure I would need a new PSU for that right? 

Also, my 8 year old i7 extreme is 3.4 GHz , is that Ryzen @ 3.0 still a step up?

I don't think you need New PSU (if its working fine)

That Rysen is 3.7Ghz (Turbo) and unlocked means, you can easily overclock it to 4Ghz using stock air cooler.

not to forget its 8 Core/16 Thread CPU :)

1 hour ago, Xahid said:

I don't think you need New PSU (if its working fine)

That Rysen is 3.7Ghz (Turbo) and unlocked means, you can easily overclock it to 4Ghz using stock air cooler.

not to forget its 8 Core/16 Thread CPU :)

Well would not my PSU need to have a different power connector for Ryzen hardware than my current Intel hardware?

2 hours ago, patseguin said:

Well would not my PSU need to have a different power connector for Ryzen hardware than my current Intel hardware?

Unless you don't have an 8-pin, you should be fine.

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Unless you don't have an 8-pin, you should be fine.

I'm pretty close to getting that Ryzen combo, unless someone can tell me an Intel build will be worth the extra money...

6 hours ago, patseguin said:

I'm pretty close to getting that Ryzen combo, unless someone can tell me an Intel build will be worth the extra money...

I am not Intel or AMD fanboy, Intel is good for single core performance, and if your budget is good, I will suggest to go for Intel, but AMD combo which I suggest is great deal for that budget.

Here is other expensive deals since they're Intel based.

Intel KabyLake Deal will outperform AMD 1700 on Games Quick Comparison

Intel CoffeeLake Deal here is quick comparison

Choice is yours :)

4 hours ago, Xahid said:

I am not Intel or AMD fanboy, Intel is good for single core performance, and if your budget is good, I will suggest to go for Intel, but AMD combo which I suggest is great deal for that budget.

Here is other expensive deals since they're Intel based.

Intel KabyLake Deal will outperform AMD 1700 on Games Quick Comparison

Intel CoffeeLake Deal here is quick comparison

Choice is yours :)

You've been so hopeful, I really appreciate it. Now I'm thinking I should save extra and just go Kaby Lake.

EDIT: How does this one look? I like Amazon because I get free shipping:

scrren.jpg

2 hours ago, patseguin said:

You've been so hopeful, I really appreciate it. Now I'm thinking I should save extra and just go Kaby Lake.

EDIT: How does this one look? I like Amazon because I get free shipping:

scrren.jpg

Its 700$, go for Coffee-lake, much better option.

amazon.png

Edited by Xahid

11 minutes ago, Xahid said:

Its 700$, go for Coffee-lake, much better option.

amazon.png

Looks good, but 2-4 weeks for the coffee lake? Jeesh...

8 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Looks good, but 2-4 weeks for the coffee lake? Jeesh...

Not in their stock I guess.

you can save few bucks by switching to Core i5 8600K

you will get 6 Cores 6 Threads in 280$ still great for gaming and VR.

Edited by Xahid

The ASUS PRIME Z370-A  is $175 on Amazon.

The i7-8700k is out of stock ... nor is there a price listed for it.  The 8700 is listed, going for $340.  So...figuring in about $30 extra (guesstimate) for the K-version putting the price at around $370 (MSRP is $359.00 - $370.00 per Intel)

Anyway ... I suspect you would be looking at roughly ~80 bucks price difference between a similar Coffee Lake setup.  Worth it ... I believe so ... latest tech plus two more cores.  :)

What PSU do have again ... model number.

Edit:  Also ... you are soooo close to Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  Might be able to score some lower prices on the components you listed.  Just sayin' ... you've had your PC for 7-8 years ... what are a couple more weeks. :p

8 minutes ago, Jim K said:

The ASUS PRIME Z370-A  is $175 on Amazon.

The i7-8700k is out of stock ... nor is there a price listed for it.  The 8700 is listed, going for $340.  So...figuring in about $30 extra (guesstimate) for the K-version putting the price at around $370.

Newegg has the 8700K listed at $419, which is bonkers...but also out of stock.  Not sure how accurate that price is.

Anyway ... I suspect you would be looking at roughly ~80 bucks price difference between a similar Coffee Lake setup.  Worth it ... I believe so ... latest tech plus two more cores.  :)

What PSU do have again ... model number.

Edit:  Also ... you are soooo close to Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  Might be able to score some lower prices on the components you listed.  Just sayin' ... you've had your PC for 7-8 years ... what are a couple more weeks. :p

Thanks Jim. PSU is Corsair AX-1200