Ryzen or Coffee Lake?

Ryzen or coffee lake?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Ryzen or Coffee Lake?

• Buy a Ryzen combo now
    • Buy a Coffee Lake combo on Cyber Monday
    • Buy a Ryzen combo on Cyber Monday

After my upgrade advice post, I thought I'd get some advice on what people would buy. This is based on a lot of gaming and vr gaming on a 1080 card.

27 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Coffee lake. You can check the performance numbers against ryzen. Honestly if you have the money go intel. On a budget go amd.

I agree. That is how AMD has ALWAYS been. They are close in specs, however Cofee has that extra umph.

Coffee Lake is better, but is it 50% better?   Coffee Lake + motherboard costs ~50% more than Zen (Ryzen) + motherboard does.

That isn’t how tech works. Marginally better can cost 4x the amount. It comes down to what you are willing to afford. That is the deciding factor, not the dollar to actual performance gain.  

It is worth the gain only if you are willing to spend the money.

Honestly the performance gain between an i5 and i7 is negligible if you want to go with performance worth and save some money. A lot of performance builds are based on i5 vs i7.

Another thing to point out is that Coffee Lake is very limited in supply right now.   Coffee Lake was suppose to be released next year along with Zen+ (Ryzen 2000 series), but Intel rushed it out early to be ahead of AMD so there's no telling when you would actually be able to buy it.

11 minutes ago, Nexus-6 said:

Another thing to point out is that Coffee Lake is very limited in supply right now.   Coffee Lake was suppose to be released next year along with Zen+ (Ryzen 2000 series), but Intel rushed it out early to be ahead of AMD so there's no telling when you would actually be able to buy it.

Amazon is showing the 8700K cpu and some combos back in stock on the 7th.

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Amazon is showing the 8700K cpu and some combos back in stock on the 7th.

Thanks I'm going to make a note to check then. That is the day my Xbox one X is coming so maybe I outta lay off the spending anyways, haha,

The processor doesn't make as much of a difference in games as do the video card anyway.

I would get Zen (Ryzen) instead of Coffee Lake and use the difference to upgrade from the video card from the Geforce GTX 1080 to the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti.

5 hours ago, Raa said:

The choice is obvious.

And I just noticed we're back to public polls again...

Fixed.

14 hours ago, Nexus-6 said:

plenty stock in the UK all re-sellers have plenty combos in stock, whack a high end AIO cooler on it pat, something like a Corsair 115i the coffees are toasty chips.

Hello,

Might I suggest first reading up on the recommended system requirements for games you plan to play on the new build and seeing which they perform best on, specifically claim optimizations for, and so forth?  That way, you can pick the best processor that works with those games, or the majority of them, versus ending up buying hardware on which the games might not perform as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Might I suggest first reading up on the recommended system requirements for games you plan to play on the new build and seeing which they perform best on, specifically claim optimizations for, and so forth?  That way, you can pick the best processor that works with those games, or the majority of them, versus ending up buying hardware on which the games might not perform as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I thought games matter only for GPUs, not CPU.

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought games matter only for GPUs, not CPU.

What? Absolutely not, CPUs are an important piece as well. Why do you think there are CPU requirements for games? I am surprised you haven't ever noticed or seen this while looking at benchmarks.

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

What? Absolutely not, CPUs are an important piece as well. Why do you think there are CPU requirements for games? I am surprised you haven't ever noticed or seen this while looking at benchmarks.

All I see for recommendations are "quad core CPU", not "i5 6400". Unless I'm blind, which may be a factor. :/

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/Wolfenstein_II_The_New_Colossus/

I am very surprised you did not realize the CPU is an important piece in terms of gaming performance.

I don't game, so that would explain it... But if you get the top of the line, why would you have to worry?

I fully agree with Nexus on this. Ryzen + better GPU for the price difference if gaming is Your main activity. Even if Ryzen is slower per core than Coffee Lake, You get 2 cores more which will offer some form of future proofness in multithreaded tasks including in the upcoming games.

5 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

I fully agree with Nexus on this. Ryzen + better GPU for the price difference if gaming is Your main activity. Even if Ryzen is slower per core than Coffee Lake, You get 2 cores more which will offer some form of future proofness in multithreaded tasks including in the upcoming games.

Most games are single core, so this doesn't seem like sound advice at all. In-fact in every benchmark the Ryzen CPU's lag behind the equiv Intel CPU's in single core gaming.

6 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Most games are single core, so this doesn't seem like sound advice at all. In-fact in every benchmark the Ryzen CPU's lag behind the equiv Intel CPU's in single core gaming.

Both of these CPUs are more than enough for any single core game currently in existence and I was not talking about that.

49 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I don't game, so that would explain it... But if you get the top of the line, why would you have to worry?

It really depends on the type of game, any open world game that has a big town with lots of NPCs on the screen is going to run lots of AI code, that eats up CPU and in that instance it's a CPU bound game compared to others that rely more on just the GPU side.   There's also things like physics and so on that tend to be CPU bound and so on.     At the least, a game will give you a recommended speed and core count for a CPU, if they don't give you a specific model and up.

As far as getting the top of the line, as far as CPUs go, that's good and should get you far, only have to upgrade graphics cards from time to time if you want.   My old gaming PC is a i7 920 with a HD7870 card, that's the 3rd graphics card I put in it by the time i retired it.  At some point you can't put in a newer graphics card with the same 5-6 year old CPU because it's just going to slow down the graphics card.  It's all one big balancing act.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:32 PM, xendrome said:

I don't agree with this. It used to be that way, but is no longer so. Head over to Guru3D and check out the benchmarks they have for CPUs when they tested games. The sweet spot for a CPU is 4-6 cores, the benchmarks show that 8 cores and higher there isn't much benefit yet. There is the one or other game that also benefits of more cores, but generally 4-6 cores is the way to go.

Then you also have games that require higher MHz than amount of cores, so for those a 4 core with 4.4GHz will be better than a 6 or 8 core at lower speeds.

@Mindovermaster

CPU is heavily used in games for AI and tons of other things. If you have a high-end GPU then you'll bottleneck it if you also don't have a high-end CPU. Same the other way around, if you have a high-end CPU and lower GPU, then the GPU will bottleneck your system.

I've taken roughly $1500 in bonuses at work so I am pretty close to making a decision. Coffee Lake is edging out Ryzen but only slightly. I think there is little doubt that Coffee Lake will give me better performance, but is it enough to justify the extra money spent?

On 11/14/2017 at 5:39 AM, patseguin said:

I've taken roughly $1500 in bonuses at work so I am pretty close to making a decision. Coffee Lake is edging out Ryzen but only slightly. I think there is little doubt that Coffee Lake will give me better performance, but is it enough to justify the extra money spent?

Actually, Ryzen is ahead if you count both "Buy a Ryzen combo now" and "Buy a Ryzen combo on Cyber Monday".

The slightly better performance is definitely not worth the extra cost.

You are better (next year) selling your Geforce GTX 1080 and upgrading to the Geforce GTX 1180.

Edited by Mockingbird