Computer not booting

I typically leave my computer on and let it go into power save. I turn on the monitor and move the mouse to wake up Windows.

I opened chrome and it was stuck in waiting for the ghostery extension. I opened several more chrome tabs all with the same result. I close all the browser windows and all seems to be fine.

I decided to restart the computer and now all I see when it boots up is a message to press del or F2 to enter the UEFI BIOS. Naturally, none of those keys are doing anything (pressing or holding). The last thing I did before this occurred was to download and install the fall creators update. The computer was working fine after this, but now for some reason it isn't.

Edit: after multiple restarts, I finally got past the BIOS startup and got to time and date screen. There was no mouse or keyboard functionality and there was no network connection. Another restart and I was able to login to Windows and get online.

Kind of sounds like a flaky hard drive. You may want to check the smart data of the drive using Crystal Disk info. The Freezing at the F2 is around the time it tries to initialize the hard drive.

https://osdn.net/frs/redir.php?m=pumath&f=%2Fcrystaldiskinfo%2F68590%2FCrystalDiskInfo7_5_0.zip

If you don't already have a backup of the hard drive now might be a great time to create one or a hard drive clone.

• Like 2

I agree with @warwagon- that certainly sounds like a HDD that is about to take a dump on you.
Moving forward, if you have anything on there that isnt on a confirmed, valid backup, you need to pull that drive, and get the data off of there.
If there is nothing on it that is either irreplaceable, or not backed up.  You can try some OS repairs, but like he said, it sounds like a bad drive.
If it is an old rotating HDD, get an SSD.
If its a new HDD, RMA it

Hello,

What is the brand and model of the computer?  And do you know how old it is, approximately?  The reason I'm asking is it also sounds like the CMOS/RTC clock's backup battery could have failed, which they can do after several years.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky