Worth getting into crypto mining?

I have a stack of old desktops and a couple other rigs (about 15 total) not doing anything.  Some may have GPU's that can mine, most don't.  Not worried if I burn them up. Is there any cryptocurrency that is worth mining on CPU's? I did some Bitcoin mining a few years back and I just recently found my wallet.dat but no idea if I have a coin. I haven't figured what to do with it yet. That's a different topic.

Winter is coming so my power bill is dropping and I can always justify the extra power usage as a reason to heat the garage.  I don't have the cash to spend on GPU's so like I said I am stuck using CPUs mainly.  

Of course, this is just a hobby project to learn from mostly but if any of it made a few bucks that would be cool.

2 minutes ago, conna said:

I have a stack of old desktops and a couple other rigs (about 15 total) not doing anything.  Some may have GPU's that can mine, most don't.  Not worried if I burn them up. Is there any cryptocurrency that is worth mining on CPU's? I did some Bitcoin mining a few years back and I just recently found my wallet.dat but no idea if I have a coin. I haven't figured what to do with it yet. That's a different topic.

Winter is coming so my power bill is dropping and I can always justify the extra power usage as a reason to heat the garage.  I don't have the cash to spend on GPU's so like I said I am stuck using CPUs mainly.  

Of course, this is just a hobby project to learn from mostly but if any of it made a few bucks that would be cool.

Nope.  You'll burn more dollars in electricity than gain from mining Bitcoin (especially with your older systems utilizing the CPU).

• Like 1

old CPUs are not very good at mining... CPUs in general are not good at mining.

and unless you get free electricity, you will spend more on electricity then you would get from mining.

Like ctebah said, unless you have solar power or free energy, you would be losing money by mining cryptocurrency.