I am going to looking for a new phone, recommendation please

On 11/13/2017 at 11:55 PM, The Evil Overlord said:

at this point, anything by motorola

I would have thrown in on the nokia 8, it is extremely good, and very capable, but I'm losing faith in their promise to keep it updated.

Any personal favorites under Motorola?

9 hours ago, warwagon said:

Might want to check how often those unlocked versions get updated. I was researching it when I was searching for my last cell phone and the unlocked version seemed abysmal when it came to updates.

Where might I come across this information? A simple google search or are you using somewhere like the XDA forums?

31 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Where might I come across this information? A simple google search or are you using somewhere like the XDA forums?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v20/823713-i-have-lg-v20-unlocked-model-us996-how-do-i-get-latest-update.html

It may have come out with an update since then, but if it went from December 2016 to god knows when after september 2017 that's embarrassingly pathetic.

Picked up a Nokia 6 for some testing last week and it's not bad... the only lousy thing about it is the camera. Otherwise it handled tasks well, tends to lag a little running several apps. Battery life is great.

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Any personal favorites under Motorola?

Any of them, I still have my first gen motog4g

They're all a little lackluster in the camera department, but if you don't take pics on your phone, this won't concern you. The X force range (droid turbo, I think) is their higher end stuff. Lenovo hasn't ruined the brand yet. :p

4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Any of them, I still have my first gen motog4g

They're all a little lackluster in the camera department, but if you don't take pics on your phone, this won't concern you. The X force range (droid turbo, I think) is their higher end stuff. Lenovo hasn't ruined the brand yet. :p

I see. I bought my daughter a Moto-X and she says it is really good, I bought it directly from Motorola (save the middleman step :p) plus I was able to apply a student discount to it, I'll have to look and see if I still can pull that off again! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I see. I bought my daughter a Moto-X and she says it is really good, I bought it directly from Motorola (save the middleman step :p) plus I was able to apply a student discount to it, I'll have to look and see if I still can pull that off again! :D

Added benefit (of most western spec phones really) they're usually set up to work on most carriers

7 hours ago, warwagon said:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v20/823713-i-have-lg-v20-unlocked-model-us996-how-do-i-get-latest-update.html

It may have come out with an update since then, but if it went from December 2016 to god knows when after september 2017 that's embarrassingly pathetic.

My unlocked LG V20 gets Android security updates and LG App updates on a frequent basis.

It appears that a lot of Android users Root their phones and could therefore easily mess up stuff that would affect automatic updates so that might be a possible explanation for any particular odd case.

Near as I can tell there is only 3 options if you want fast and frequent updates on all aspects of the software. Google Phones, Microsoft 950 and 950XL phones and recent Apple phones.

6 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

You need to give careful thought on whether the camera in your phone is important to you or not. There is a huge drop off in quality outside of Hero phones. The Samsung S7 gets great reviews for its camera and has sold so many that used models are easy to find in any market and it will be vastly superior in every way to any current mid-range phone you could find.

I would have bought an S7 but I wanted the option of a Band 66 radio for future flexibility and Samsung only added that Radio with the S8.

If you don't care about the camera, then with Android the next thing to make sure of is the CPU and RAM and the screen resolution. You want to get a crappier lower resolution LCD if you get a crappy CPU so it has less pixels to push. 

Phones are no different than desktop computers these days. You can't get something for nothing. They have a CPU, a GPU, RAM, LCD, Camera Sensor, Radios, various sensors and storage, all of which cost money.

The mid-range is a battle between the manufacturer and the consumer to see which one of those can be crap without the consumer noticing too much. The manufacturers use the Hero phones to pass in-depth reviews and the mid-range and low-end to make money.

• Like 1

I am very careful with my equipment so it was quite a shock to me when an 12 year nephew was handed my 950XL phone and the first thing he did was drop it on a hard floor where it hit on the corner and shattered the internal LCD but NOT the outer Gorilla Glass layer.

This ended up in my purchase of the V20 for this and other reasons but first I investigated various case designs and how they might protect such damage from occurring with very inconclusive results. The only credible info I could locate on the actual attempt by anybody to specifically design a phone to prevent LCD damage was the LG V20.

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-drop-test-714756/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/lg-v20-durability-drops/

So if drop protection is a concern, careful investigation of your prospective device might be in order.

Reviews on the internet are very shoddy in general. For example many reviews actually downgraded the V20 for falling apart every time it is dropped! They couldn't be bothered to discover that instead of indicating a fragile phone, it is careful engineering design to protect the LCD.

40 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@DevTech, would this be a good one to consider?

That's the 918 variation of  a V20

It is pretty much identical to the 915 model I bought and has the advantage of some ROM availability should you desire to root and play with ROMs down the road. I could flash my 915 with a 918 ROM but I'm holding out for a Oreo 915 to come out at some point.

Anyways I digress horribly. The 918 will work smoothly with T-Mobile and also has Band 66 which is a future source of low cost LTE.

If you want to use it on another carrier, I'll try to assist if you give me carrier details so we can check radio bands. Note that the bands a Carrier will use depends sometimes on the geographical region but also many of the bands they provision in their specific model are never used so if the bands match up to what is actually being used in your area then the phone will work ok with a few rare exceptions where the Carrier blocks a specific phone for silly ugly spiteful reasons.

Despite comments you might see, there is no phone in existence that has every possible radio band. You need to pay attention to bands when buying phones outside of a Carrier.

990DS (Global)

2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100

4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat9 450/50 Mbps

918 (T-Mobile)

2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100

4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 13(700), 20(800)

SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps

(gsmarena does not mention 4G Band 66 but this phone does have it)

910 (AT&T)

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 29(700), 30(2300)

SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps

(gsmarena does not mention 4G Band 66 but this phone does have it, except it is disabled in Firmware)

997 (Sprint)

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO

4G bandsLTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500)

SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps

995 (Verizon)

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO

4G bandsLTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 13(700), 20(800)

996 (U.S. Cellular)

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO

4G bandsLTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900)

17 hours ago, DevTech said:

There are 5 types of updates:

1. Carrier specific firmware adjustments for the radios.

2. Android Security updates.

3. Android OS updates

4. Samsung/LG/etc misc apps updates.

5. Carrier crapware updates

Android OS updates are extremely rare and few unless you have a Google branded phone. Microsoft and Apple are a breath of fresh air in that department but bring along other issues. In theory if you have a Hero phone, it will get an major Android update or two but might take 6 months or more after the code was available on a Google phone.

Security updates and Manufacturer updates will come no matter what and you don't want crapware updates (or crapware)

So the only problematic update would be radio adjustment which is important of course and would need to be investigated on a case by case basis for each phone model and each carrier.

with the amount of unsupported apps, is mentioning microsoft even relevant?

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

with the amount of unsupported apps, is mentioning microsoft even relevant?

1. In the universe of frequent OS updates, I pointed out the ONLY 3 options, since I value correct technical analysis very highly.

2. I joined the discussion to give whatever benefit could result from my experience of breaking my Microsoft 950XL and replacing it with an affordable "almost as good" Android model, since the OP was looking for a low cost but good Android.

3. Many people care nothing about Apps, many people live and breath Apps. For me, I don't need apps other than as a curiosity about different approaches to UI design and I value the basic phone operation and usability of the OS far more and Windows wins no contest in that area for me. When I finally get the gorgeous screen in my Microsoft 950XL repaired, there will be a fight in my family about who gets the 950XL since we are all used to its advantages. If you have never used one, then other phones may seem better. That's OK because choice is good.

4. At no point in this thread have I suggested a Microsoft phone to the OP since Microsoft appears to have let the platform wander off into some kind of limbo temporarily or permanent;y. If I came across a used 950XL at a good price, I would personally snap it up in an instant.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DevTech said:

1. In the universe of frequent OS updates, I pointed out the ONLY 3 options, since I value correct technical analysis very highly.

2. I joined the discussion to give whatever benefit could result from my experience of breaking my Microsoft 950XL and replacing it with an affordable "almost as good" Android model, since the OP was looking for a low cost but good Android.

3. Many people care nothing about Apps, many people live and breath Apps. For me, I don't need apps other than as a curiosity about different approaches to UI design and I value the basic phone operation and usability of the OS far more and Windows wins no contest in that area for me. When I finally get the gorgeous screen in my Microsoft 950XL repaired, there will be a fight in my family about who gets the 950XL since we are all used to its advantages. If you have never used one, then other phones may seem better. That's OK because choice is good.

4. At no point in this thread have I suggested a Microsoft phone to the OP since Microsoft appears to have let the platform wander off into some kind of limbo temporarily or permanent;y. If I came across a used 950XL at a good price, I would personally snap it up in an instant.

You make good points, not everyone is in the "OMG there's not a zillion apps " in this store.

• Like 3

OK, help me out here, I am almost committed on buying Motorola, they seem to have good phones and I have a discount code to use with them. I am trying to decide between The Moto G4, Moto G5 and The Moto G5s all 3 seem to share similar features, so I am attempting to decide which phone would be the better choice. @DevTech feel free to help me out again! :D

10 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, help me out here, I am almost committed on buying Motorola, they seem to have good phones and I have a discount code to use with them. I am trying to decide between The Moto G4, Moto G5 and The Moto G5s all 3 seem to share similar features, so I am attempting to decide which phone would be the better choice. @DevTech feel free to help me out again! :D

Between the three there are differences.  the G4 is a good little phone with a slower processor and its pretty much at the end of its update cycle. Its still on Android 6 and may or may not get 7. That also means you are essentially out of security updates.  Unless the other two are out of your budget, I'd pass on the G4. The G5 and G5s are both Android 7 variants with a  625 CPU. They will likely get Android 8 at some point (although Moto is a bit slow with the updates). The G5s has a slightly larger screen (but the same resolution as the G5 so the pixel density is a bit lower) and a slightly better camera.  The G5s is 50 bucks more so is the larger screen and slightly better camera worth $50?  Only you can make that decision. I can say, my wife currently (for the next week or two) uses a 2nd gen G4  and we've had zero issues with it. Its been a solid performer.

5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

have you checked swappa.com for other phone make/models? 

5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I would not go anywhere near those mid-range crappy phones.

The truly innovative thing that Moto has done is the "mod" system:

https://www.motorola.com/us/moto-mods

For that you need any Z series Moto.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-force-edition-gen-2  (has Band 66)

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-play-gen-2  (has Band 66)

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z

The first 2 have Band 66

OK, what is Band 66? As far as the Z series, they are bit more then I was looking to spend, even with my 15% discount code, but I might be able to afford them. Regardless I need to get away from this LG K10, the battery life and call quality are getting worse by the day, and the battery is only ~1 month old. So I need a phone with good battery life, storage space is not a big issue to me as I do not use allot of different apps, and the phone needs to work where I am, do not force me to go clear outside to make a call!

Band 66 is a new radio band that very very few phones implement. It is a sign of advanced hardware which means the manufacturer is thinking ahead. I'm not going to do all your research for you but most likely Band 66 was purchased by T-Mobile in your area. T-Mobile is the LTE provider your Carrier is most likely using and you need to make sure any phone you buy has those bands available on the radio chip.

In simple words, Band 66 is a future Band being rolled out here and there for low cost high speed LTE.

Your network is currently using Bands 2, 4, and 12 so any phone you might buy needs to support at least those bands.

5 minutes ago, DevTech said:

What is the exact model number of your K10?

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k10-7849.php

It does not appear to support the Cell Radio Bands that you need. No wonder it has crappy reception.

LGMS428, it is an unlocked Metro PCS phone. Reception is good most of the time, it is just certain stores and areas it refuses to work in. I was in one today where I attempted to make a call and it kept telling me emergency calls only, I had to reset the phone to be able to use it.

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

LGMS428, it is an unlocked Metro PCS phone. Reception is good most of the time, it is just certain stores and areas it refuses to work in. I was in one today where I attempted to make a call and it kept telling me emergency calls only, I had to reset the phone to be able to use it.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-K10_id9838

According to that you have Bands 2, 4 and 12.

I get the impression you did not research your radio bands so you just got bat##### lucky instead of bat##### crazy!

Also, you need to be on the LTE Plan for it to work right.

Edited by zhangm
Please don't circumvent the swear filter