Maxtor 80GB HDD Only 5MB/s ?

I have a old IDE Maxtor 80GB. model is 98196H8. mfg date is Nov 24th 2000.

but anyways, my question is... is it normal for DBAN v2.3.0 (Darik's Boot and Nuke), which is newest version of the program, to only have a 5MB/s write speed to the drive? ; i know the drive is old but 5MB/s is pretty damn slow for a hard drive unless it's ancient and it's not THAT old. hell, i wiped a Seagate 428.1MB hard drive (yes, only 428.1MB. that's not a typo.) on that computer not all that long ago and i think that was doing about 2MB/s.

for measure... I have a 160GB WD IDE drive being wiped by DBAN on that same computer at the moment and that's writing speed is much faster at 40-50MB/s or so (it shows finished on the screen with that and shows 36993 KB/s (i.e. basically 37MB/s)), which i figure is roughly normal. but that 5MB/s for the Maxtor 80GB seems quite slow as it's going to take close to 24hours or so to complete the wipe (it's @ 22.50% complete and it's been going for 5hr27min or so (no errors either))  where as that 160GB hard drive completed the default wipe (i ran it in 'autonuke' mode) in about 5 hours and while i figure the 80GB would be slower i did not expect it to be THAT much slower as even if it was half the speed of the 160GB it should finish in roughly similar time frame of 5 hours or so since it's half of the size.

p.s. it's connected to a old 1.2Ghz athlon computer with 1GB of RAM. both drives were in a couple of my old moded XBox consoles but i am wiping the drives as i figure i might as well put them into a old PC i got for a bit extra storage space etc instead of them collecting dust.

side note: I am pretty sure that Maxtor 80GB is the most expensive hard drive i ever purchased to as i want to say it was something around $200-300 back around 2001 or so. *cringes* :(

I am pretty sure that 5 MB /sec should be the top speed of hard disks manufactured in 2000.

Why don't you run a benchmark like Crystal Disk mark or ATTO?

As far as I remember year and speeds of Spinning Hard Disks.

1995 - 1-2 MBps

2000 - 5 MBps

2005 - 30-40 MBps

2010 - 100 MBps

2015 - 150-200 MBps

2017 - 240 MBps (Seagate 12 TB 7200 RPM ones)

Thanks for the info. so in other words... you are saying those speeds are pretty much normal.

I just assumed given the size of the drive it would guarantee faster speeds than 5MB/s. i would have figured a easy 10-20MB/s, but i guess i am mistaken. hopefully the thing is super reliable given the really slow speeds ;) ; in fact, it's actually right around 4.6-4.9MB/s, but close enough so i just listed 5MB/s. i think it's a 5400RPM to.

as for the Crystal Disk Mark etc... ill see if i can fire that up on the old computer that has Windows XP on it and see what it says once the wipe is finished in about 18 hours from now.

p.s. I was not even aware that they had 12TB already as the last i knew i think a 10TB was the high end with 8TB's being a bit more typical for the max. 5TB is the largest HDD i got (which i am pretty sure the 2nd most expensive HDD i ever bought). in terms of hard drives that i have... i got one 5TB and one 4TB and the rest are 2TB or smaller.

UPDATE: DBAN finished in about 20 hours and change on that 80GB drive. i noticed it was about 20MB/s+ on the last pass (apparently it does 3 passes in it's default state) with 'blanking' mode. but i do notice it says 'verify errors: 1' :(

If I recall correctly a full format checks the surface of the hard drive for errors etc. can i run the NTFS full format using a Linux boot CD(puppy linux)? ; I mainly want to do this so i can avoid connecting the hard drive to my main Windows 10 PC (as i do have one IDE port on a PCI-E add-on card).

EDIT: i will probably just play it safe and connect to my main Windows 10 PC for a proper full format and check SMART data etc before using these two IDE drives.

Edited by ThaCrip

15 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

i am wiping the drives as i figure i might as well put them into a old PC i got for a bit extra storage space etc instead of them collecting dust.

side note: I am pretty sure that Maxtor 80GB is the most expensive hard drive i ever purchased to as i want to say it was something around $200-300 back around 2001 or so. *cringes* :(

It cannot be understated that you're playing with fire using a hard-drive manufactured nearly twenty years ago, especially if it's already giving you errors. If you're just being cheap you can pick up refurbished drives on Newegg with twice the capacity and SATA support for $9.99; there's even a 250GB if you're a really big spender and can afford $11.99.

I just don't understand what you're trying to achieve, other than wasting your time and energy.

Our of curiosity why are you running DBAN on some old hard drives you don't plan to get rid of?

I can't imagine you were storing anything but games when those drives were in your Xbox and you plan to use them in your own PC. So i'm not sure what you achieve by running DBAN on them?

Sure ... it can take this long ... but why (as others have asked) are you doing this?  I could see if you had sensitive data and were donating it ... but you're not.  Just toss it into the old computer ... format it ... and use it.  

1 hour ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

I just don't understand what you're trying to achieve, other than wasting your time and energy.

Just trying to get some extra storage space without spending any $$$ basically and that was a quick way to get an additional 160GB+80GB for $0.00. mostly going to use it for storing stuff as a backup (but nothing of critical importance) that i likely won't need to access for years.

basically i figure using those for something is better than letting them sit in those old XBox's collecting dust.

1 hour ago, InsaneNutter said:

Our of curiosity why are you running DBAN on some old hard drives you don't plan to get rid of?

Mostly as a precautionary measure as who knows what's been stored on those drives over the years and since DBAN was run on them now i can be certain there is no sensitive data on them in case i dump them etc in the future.

49 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Sure ... it can take this long ... but why (as others have asked) are you doing this?  I could see if you had sensitive data and were donating it ... but you're not.  Just toss it into the old computer ... format it ... and use it. 

At this point, since it's sorta a pain to use these older IDE drives what i am going to do is just put some stuff on there, for a backup, that i likely won't need to access for years. then just to confirm the data is intact ill run a SHA-1 hash check on my source hard drive and then those old IDE drives just to be 100% sure the data is identical. doing that should make it so i can be reasonably sure the data will still work if i need to access it 5-10 years down the road short of the hard drive getting worse from sitting there etc.

1 hour ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

If you're just being cheap you can pick up refurbished drives on Newegg with twice the capacity and SATA support for $9.99; there's even a 250GB if you're a really big spender and can afford $11.99.

It's not worth spending any $$$ on low capacity drives as you can get a 2TB for $45-50 online brand new. so outside of a rare occasion, like if you need a hard drive for dirt cheap(like in your examples there), it's simply not worth buying hard drives smaller than 2TB anymore.

---------------------------------

with all of that said, thanks for everyone's time ;)

UPDATE #2: looks like i am not going to use that 80GB Maxtor as after i copied a bunch of data to it i then tried to use 7-zip to verify the data with SHA-1 hash, i got a error (see attached picture).

Looks like ill quick format the 80GB drive and probably dump it (only 2nd hard drive that died for me as the other was 40GB IBM 'deathstar') and just stick to the 160GB WD IDE drive which is still reliable. but i am going to full format that just to be safe.

EDIT: even when i attempted to quick format the 80GB, after that I/O error, it basically hanged the PC as i had to hold the power button to power off the PC. currently running full format on the 160GB WD IDE at this time.

80GBMaxtor.jpg

Edited by ThaCrip