Minecraft Novice

Harlanjcooper    0

My son is 7 and on the autistic spectrum. He really really wants me to get minecraft for him. We have a pc and ipad. I'm a TOTAL initiate wrt minecraft.  A previous discussion on this forum has me thinking that the pc is the best platform for him/us, but I'm more concerned that i get the right version for his needs and wants.  He's a fairly good self starter having instinctively mastered numerous star wars/lego games on the ipad. 

However he's also typically suggestable and I'm trying to steer him away from too much violence and fighting. 

Can anyone please advise the best version for him and whether this is a downloadable software or i should just go into ebgames. I'd like something that is more creative and less 'fighty' if you know what i mean! Feel free to make specific recommendations - i am totally in need of help here! 

Fugi    6

Minecraft is the safest game out there, that said if he's going to play online you'll likely want to ensure he chooses to join (or you restrict him to) family-friendly servers.  IMO PC is the way to go.  This isn't something you want to go to EB games for (that store is scummy in general - stick to buying stuff online IMO).  You can download the game from the internet for a little under $30, you just create an account, purchase, and download it to your PC.

The PC is the most 'full featured' and often updated version, alternatives like the ipad or console versions typically aren't given as much attention.  You'll want to ask him what his friends from school play on if he intends to play with friends, you can't play with people that are using a different device than you are.

I'd suggest talking with your son, he likely can answer a lot of these questions for you ;).  I'm not always on Neowin these days, but i'm glad to help answer additional questions.  PM me if you'd like and i'll send you my email.

• Like 1

Andrew    2,750
On 11/16/2017 at 1:55 AM, Fugi said:

Minecraft is the safest game out there, that said if he's going to play online you'll likely want to ensure he chooses to join (or you restrict him to) family-friendly servers.  IMO PC is the way to go.  This isn't something you want to go to EB games for (that store is scummy in general - stick to buying stuff online IMO).  You can download the game from the internet for a little under $30, you just create an account, purchase, and download it to your PC.

The PC is the most 'full featured' and often updated version, alternatives like the ipad or console versions typically aren't given as much attention.  You'll want to ask him what his friends from school play on if he intends to play with friends, you can't play with people that are using a different device than you are.

I'd suggest talking with your son, he likely can answer a lot of these questions for you ;).  I'm not always on Neowin these days, but i'm glad to help answer additional questions.  PM me if you'd like and i'll send you my email.

You can now with the Better Together update, but it's inferior to the classic, now renamed PC version 'Minecraft: Java Edition'.

Better Together allows gamers on the following platforms to play together:

• Pocket Edition,
  • Windows 10 Edition,
  • Gear VR Edition,
  • Apple TV Edition,
  • Fire TV Edition,
  • Xbox One Edition,
  • and Nintendo Switch Edition

Harlanjcooper    0

Thanks guys. This has been helpful. 

I'm leaning towards PC version at present but the ipad is the device he uses most and will probably get the most out of. One last question then: which of the various apps should i look at on the ipad? 

Cheers.

+illumination    23

The only app you want on the iPad is Minecraft by Mojang. It does have 'Pocket Edition' in the image on the appstore, but the name is Minecraft. There is also the adventure game 'Minecraft Story Mode', but that's not what people normally think of when they talk about Minecraft. Anything else is thirdparty and not something you want or need.

My kids play exclusively on the iPad simply because it's easier and when they play with friends they can sync up without needing a server. Personally I prefer the Java PC edition.

Fugi    6
On 11/18/2017 at 8:21 AM, Andrew said:

You can now with the Better Together update, but it's inferior to the classic, now renamed PC version 'Minecraft: Java Edition'.

Better Together allows gamers on the following platforms to play together:

• Pocket Edition,
  • Windows 10 Edition,
  • Gear VR Edition,
  • Apple TV Edition,
  • Fire TV Edition,
  • Xbox One Edition,
  • and Nintendo Switch Edition

Thank you for the info / correction!!