Laptop with AMD Radeon 520 dedicated card - Need driver nfo about this graphics card. Is it an old generation card?

Hi,

I bought an HP 15-BS576TX laptop which has Intel HD 620 integrated graphics and dedicated graphics card AMD Radeon 520.  Now, I checked AMD website and neither proper driver information or about the product is available.

Since I use Linux as primary OS, the wayland identifies this card as "AMD HAINAN" while from my small research, it may be "OLAND". Also, Is this based on old Radeon HD series 5-6 years back? Polaris architecture? It says this card supports GCN 1st generation. So, which GCN? GCN 1.0, 1.1 or .12 ?

I have downloaded the AMD/Intel switchable graphics driver from HP ftp server. Still, it is nice to have some more information about this card featured in AMD website.

You may have the wrong driver for it. What Linux version are you running? HP drivers are way too old. Get the GFX drivers from the manufacturer.

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You may have the wrong driver for it. What Linux version are you running? HP drivers are way too old. Get the GFX drivers from the manufacturer.

OK. I got an advice to run GPU-Z to know the codename of the GPU architecture is OLAND or HAINAN as well as I can get GCN version (which I assume is 1.2 for AMD 520).

So, I gathered some info from redditt and phoronix etc. This AMD Radeon 520 is a re-branded card which is based on GCN 1.0. Perhaps similar to R5 M330 in architecture, a gen older than Polaris. It is Southern Island GPU, possibly HAINAN. I will update with the performance using "amdgpu" open source driver.

Looks like the 520 is a 5-CU configuration while 530 is 6-CU: The shader core would be GCN 1.0 while some of the other blocks would be newer and inline with the larger CI parts IIRC.

Sun/Hainan are SI (GCN 1.0) asics with no display or multi-media engines, the rest is the same as other SI parts. As

Edited by coolguy80

• 4 months later...

Hey i have also same config HP laptop and am facing same problem with my radeon 520 and dont want use windows but because there is no driver info on amd website i cant switch to linux plz help me with these

i have intel i5 7th gen processor with 8 gb ram and intel graphics 620